• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    HB 1015 is headed to the Governor's desk.

If signed, INDOT will be able to operate up 4 speed cameras in construction zones across Indiana. First offense is a warning, then fines.

However, as I read the bill...

It will NOT take a picture of the front of a vehicle, meaning the driver (Sec 15 a)
    It is PRESUMED the OWNER is the operator (Sec 17 a + b)
    The owner will have to prove it was not them driving (Sec 17 e 1 B)
    The owner will have to prove there was no workers present (Sec 17 e 4)
    The owner cannot face their accuser, as it is a computer
    The owner is automatically guilty until they prove innocence

These are civil penalties, not fines, tickets, or infractions (Sec 17 e)
    The image cannot be used as evidence of a traffic offense (Sec 16 a + b)
    The money goes into the General Fund, aka the state's pocket (Sec 17 d)
    If not an infraction, offense, or ticket... then it is automated revenue generation

Give your kid a car, you get the bill
    Loan a car to a friend, you get the bill
    Drive a company car, boss gets the bill
    Drive your wife's car, she gets the bill (and you sleep on the couch)

As much as I support reducing speeding in construction zones... This is bad law, and unconstitutional, IMHO.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How do you 'confront your accuser'?

When my dad got a 'red light' camera ticket violation from Chicago, they provided 3 timed photos.
    He was able to send it back, and tell them the photo proved them wrong.
    HIS car was in the same spot, all 3 photos.
    The car NEXT to him was in 3 different spots.
    Bad aiming/calibration.
    Probably didn't fix it, city makes money because people don't want to fight it.

How do you fight it with a speed camera?
    At least an officer can have some ability to figure out if things don't pass the 'smell test'.
    Also, if an officer pulls you over, and gives you a ticket, YOU KNOW YOU HAVE ONE.

Ticket shows up at your door 3 days letter, then several more because you didn't know...
    Then what.

I am AGAINST these cameras.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also, having worked on radar systems... they lock on the BIG signal.
    USUALLY the big signal is the one in front.
    USUALLY.
    It can also be a semi truck
    An ambulance
    etc

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    They are addressing the wrong problem.

Why do people speed in construction zones? Because of the idiots at DOT, who have ZERO regard for commuter traffic flow.

If you have miles and miles of impeding traffic flow, where obviously no construction is going on, its no wonder people just trying to get where they are going will speed up.

If construction zones weren't foolishly oversized for the actual construction being done, people would actually drive cautiously rather than wonder WTF.

If during the "construction season" DOT would actually consider traffic still has to flow and not put zones on top of each other? The same with zones in every direction in an area, especially in the detour that they sent you on. :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    If no workers are in the construction zone, how can it be a construction zone?
    Or if workers are behind concrete barriers on a divided highway…….:dunno: No traffic on their side of the road. And before anyone says truck traffic……… I am not talking about an interstate the road in question has 1000’s of intersections And traffic signals.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Or if workers are behind concrete barriers on a divided highway…….:dunno: No traffic on their side of the road. And before anyone says truck traffic……… I am not talking about an interstate the road in question has 1000’s of intersections And traffic signals.
    watched security camera footage at the mill. a car blew through and over concrete barriers and smashed a guard shanty.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    aren't they risking...

Indiana Code 9-18.1-4-4. Display of license plates; violation​

(b) A license plate shall be:

(1) securely fastened, in a horizontal and upright position that displays the registration expiration year in the upper right corner, to the vehicle for which the plate is issued:

(A) to prevent the license plate from swinging;

(B) at a height of at least twelve (12) inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the license plate; and

(C) in a place and position that are clearly visible;

(2) maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible; and

(3) not obstructed or obscured by tires, bumpers, accessories, or other opaque objects.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They are addressing the wrong problem.

Why do people speed in construction zones? Because of the idiots at DOT, who have ZERO regard for commuter traffic flow.

If you have miles and miles of impeding traffic flow, where obviously no construction is going on, its no wonder people just trying to get where they are going will speed up.

If construction zones weren't foolishly oversized for the actual construction being done, people would actually drive cautiously rather than wonder WTF.

If during the "construction season" DOT would actually consider traffic still has to flow and not put zones on top of each other? The same with zones in every direction in an area, especially in the detour that they sent you on. :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:
    This.

Plus, they award these contracts and then there are times the contractors are not even on site (even though the barriers are up and some work is in progress) for days and days. They allow too much time for projects to get completed.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    aren't they risking...

Indiana Code 9-18.1-4-4. Display of license plates; violation​

(b) A license plate shall be:

(1) securely fastened, in a horizontal and upright position that displays the registration expiration year in the upper right corner, to the vehicle for which the plate is issued:

(A) to prevent the license plate from swinging;

(B) at a height of at least twelve (12) inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the license plate; and

(C) in a place and position that are clearly visible;

(2) maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible; and

(3) not obstructed or obscured by tires, bumpers, accessories, or other opaque objects.

I guess it depends. I see about a million vehicles with smoked plate coverers a day.

And I guess yes this may be against those codes / laws. But I think the strike against the constitution with the codes/laws you would be breaking is a much bigger concern. What’s legal isn’t always right and what’s right isn’t always legal. (Edit to add: I am a law abiding citizen just simply pointing out that the book of laws is NOT the book of morals)

I mean let’s get real they already have us sitting and staring at a red light like mindless drones in intersections where there isn’t a soul for as far as the eye can see

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If no workers are in the construction zone, how can it be a construction zone?
    Yeah, I got popped for speeding in a construction zone. NO workers. NO construction equipment. It was still a construction zone in name only. No lane restrictions. Just the presence of barrels in the left breakdown lane and the signs were still up. They finished the work the week before but just hadnt come to collect their :poop: .

Luckily I only got a verbal.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Yeah, I got popped for speeding in a construction zone. NO workers. NO construction equipment. It was still a construction zone in name only. No lane restrictions. Just the presence of barrels in the left breakdown lane and the signs were still up. They finished the work the week before but just hadnt come to collect their :poop: .

Luckily I only got a verbal.
    I hate CZINO's :xmad:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    You mean like the 50 mile long one on 70E a year or so ago? Rather than setup the 20 or so zones as they needed, they just took the entire stretch down to one lane and worked wherever they felt like that day.
    At the same time I-74E did the same thing? Excellent example!

Top Bottom