So you want to reload but you don’t know where to begin (??)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    I’m just now starting to look into this.

So what’s the “all in” cost of say a starter progressive set, with tools?

And for 9mm, what’s the per-round cost difference, assuming one buys the less expensive cases, light powder loads, and light bullets vs the cheapest 50-100 rd Walmart box?

Just trying to get an idea of cost and budget, not that anything about this hobby is a financially genious move, lol!

well IMHO buying new brass is going to be the killer for reloading 9MM.
    a new progressive press, tumbler, media, scale, calipers, bullet puller, reloading manual ect, ect will cost you in excess of $500. probably closer to $750+ (depending on what you buy)
    for any reloading, a lot depends on the quantity of bullets, primers and powder you buy, add shipping costs and hazmat fees.

ive been reloading for 25 years on the same press, it's more than paid for itself, in the 1st 6months i owned it, at the time i was running through 3-4000 rds a month just in 45acp at todays prices, it will take a LOT longer for the press to pay for itself. depending on how much shooting you do, you may find it's cheaper in the long run to buy bulk factory ammo.
    i run a "custom" load in my open 45acp for USPSA, i'm really trying not to have to buy 4000 bullets (to maximize flat rate shipping).
    i was planning on adding a PCC in 9mm to the arsenal for USPSA and steel challenge next season. i'll be buying bulk factory ammo, no plans on reloading for 9mm

Abominator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2019
    Auburn
    I have wanted to reload for so long but I really only shoot 9mm and 5.56 regularly. Its just so cheap. Honestly the biggest thing that stops me is not wanting to pick up my brass! I am looking into getting a .45 ACP so my interest has risen again.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 15, 2019
    Union
    I started reloading in the 1980s Dad had a lee loader for 30-30 and 30-06.Those lee loaders were a trip.I use Redding dies and a Redding turret press.I also anneal my brass as well.and wet tumble my brass.I use a rcbs chargemaster to load my brass

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I have wanted to reload for so long but I really only shoot 9mm and 5.56 regularly. Its just so cheap. Honestly the biggest thing that stops me is not wanting to pick up my brass! I am looking into getting a .45 ACP so my interest has risen again.

This comment hasn't aged well. Hope you stocked up when it was cheap. :ingo:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    well IMHO buying new brass is going to be the killer for reloading 9MM.
    a new progressive press, tumbler, media, scale, calipers, bullet puller, reloading manual ect, ect will cost you in excess of $500. probably closer to $750+ (depending on what you buy)
    for any reloading, a lot depends on the quantity of bullets, primers and powder you buy, add shipping costs and hazmat fees.

ive been reloading for 25 years on the same press, it's more than paid for itself, in the 1st 6months i owned it, at the time i was running through 3-4000 rds a month just in 45acp at todays prices, it will take a LOT longer for the press to pay for itself. depending on how much shooting you do, you may find it's cheaper in the long run to buy bulk factory ammo.
    i run a "custom" load in my open 45acp for USPSA, i'm really trying not to have to buy 4000 bullets (to maximize flat rate shipping).
    i was planning on adding a PCC in 9mm to the arsenal for USPSA and steel challenge next season. i'll be buying bulk factory ammo, no plans on reloading for 9mm

Just wondering - have you changed your mind about reloading vs buying factory ammo ? (Assuming, of course, you have or can find components)

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    Just wondering - have you changed your mind about reloading vs buying factory ammo ? (Assuming, of course, you have or can find components)
    with the unavailability of components, and ridiculous prices when they can be found, lack of gun inventories, ( and higher prices) i'll shoot what i have, not planning on adding any guns at this time. when i run out of ammo, my season will be over..

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    Interest in reloading has increased a great deal recently. Unfortunately, equipment and supplies are hard to find. As to the original question, take the NRA Reloading class. While we have the materials on hand to teach it, and lots of requests, so many of our classes have had to be cancelled. Find a local mentor that can help you, and share equipment. Even after 50 years, still learning.

Bratch1976

Bratcher Sr competition shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2021
    Chesterton Indiana
    If anyone needs Reloading classes they are available in Chesterton Indiana. By expert loader that works for ammunition companies. Also if anyone needs deals on reloading components or the best deals in the country on factory competition ammunition private message me as well. Thank you Lance Bratcher Senior competition shooter and trainer

Top Bottom