So you want to reload but you don’t know where to begin (??)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Given the ammo shortage, would this be a good time to take up reloading? Or, are reloading supplies in equally short supply?
    Well if your starting from scratch it will take you a long time to just recoup your investment, as of late prices have went up on everything to do with reloading and some things needed like the all elusive primers are almost nonexistent, I have reloaded for many years and have more than recouped my cost on machinery, just mainly have to source supplies needed. Good luck if you start reloading in this age!!!!!!!!

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region
    Given the ammo shortage, would this be a good time to take up reloading? Or, are reloading supplies in equally short supply?
    What calibers are you looking to reload? Or at least start with?

It's sad to say but some supplies are hard to come by at the moment. The items that you do need are definitely higher then a year ago.

But if you wait there is no guarantee that prices will come back down. So I say if you can start picking items up now, then there is no better time to start reloading.

DefendeNos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    Indianapolis
    What calibers are you looking to reload? Or at least start with?

It's sad to say but some supplies are hard to come by at the moment. The items that you do need are definitely higher then a year ago.

But if you wait there is no guarantee that prices will come back down. So I say if you can start picking items up now, then there is no better time to start reloading.
    9 mm is my preferred, but I also shoot .40 and .45

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Components are just as hard to get as loaded ammo. Its getting better, but for a while, it was actually easier to find (overpriced) ammo than it was to find primers. At least the ammo could be had, if you were willing to pay. primers were nonexistent for a while. Coming back though.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Depending on the caliber. As others have said if starting from scratch it's going to cost you a chunk of money Depending on what you go with.
    A basic Lee Classic Turret Press kit is around $250 it gives you close to everything you need to get started - dies for caliber of choice, primers, powder, bullets, brass.
    Primers right now are very expensive avg 8-12 cents a primer and they are hard to find unless you live in driving distance of Brain's Surplus, and buy from him everyday :):.
    Don't forget a sturdy reloading table as well.

$233 free shipping on the kit right now if you want a basic starter kit.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Right now, reloading supplies, especially primers are in shorter supply than standard caliber ammo (e.g. .223, 9mm, 45acp, etc). If you are looking at uncommon caliber ammo reloading may be your only option though as factories don't want spend the time to switch over to less used calibers when they can sell all they can make of the standards.
    Rick

DefendeNos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Great information from everyone. I was thinking of getting into reloading before COVID and shortages ... just because it looked interesting. I think I'll jump in with no expectations that I can cure the shortage or high prices.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Great information from everyone. I was thinking of getting into reloading before COVID and shortages ... just because it looked interesting. I think I'll jump in with no expectations that I can cure the shortage or high prices.
    It will pay for itself within 1000rds depending on how much you spend, and caliber you load.

Altrex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2021
    I recommmend to start is to collect range brass for free when you can and if interested in casting your own bullets start working on getting lead. This could help keep overall cost lower with the high prices of components. You can also prep everything for final assembly when you do have primers and powder.

acmetruck1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2021
    Schneider
    Thanks for the info. Very helpful. May I ask what the problem is w the Lee scale? I’m using it but it does seems slow? Are they now accurate?

Altrex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2021
    It is not very accurate unless you have check weights and can manually calibrate the scale. If you want repeatable unknown values then it would be OK. For the price of a cheap digital scale from Amazon, you would get a faster scale with better out of box accuracy. Throw some jacketed bullets or check weights on to confirm.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    If you follow the directions the Lee scale is pretty accurate. It is slow and should be checked/zero/calibrated between uses especially if moved. I trust it over cheap digital scales due to drifting during use and needing reset. I like and use them both depending on what I am doing. I like to use them to double check each other. Everyone has a way they like to do things. I take my time reloading and use a single stage press. Find what works for you.

Lstuard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2022
    Evansville
    This is amazing information!!!! I was wondering where to start and found this forum post! I will be referring back to it often! Thank you for the effort and work that you put into this!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    First-find primers at a less than “blackmail Price” then let us know how you pulled off that feat of sleuthing! The rest is easy…

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region
    First-find primers at a less than “blackmail Price” then let us know how you pulled off that feat of sleuthing! The rest is easy…
    If the person is just starting how would they know the "Blackmail Price"?

If this is the time for the person to start it has to happen at some point. The prices will never come back down.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If the person is just starting how would they know the "Blackmail Price"?

If this is the time for the person to start it has to happen at some point. The prices will never come back down.
    Sure they will, look at rimfire, 9mm and powder. And at 100 bucks a brick for primers,, not so long ago they were twice that.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Great article --As a shotgun reloader --I use a cost calculator - Available on line -enter your shot -wads-primers cost-- # of times you will load your empty --and your cost of your reloading press -Then you enter the cost of new shells, Then it gives you how many shells you have to load before you break even --Punched in the new Spolar gold 12 gauge reloader at $4800 -- It will only take me 54391 reloads to break even with $10 a box new -- Think I will keep my $600 Mec loader,

Top Bottom