So you want to reload but you don’t know where to begin (??)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KUJO2388

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2015
    Terre Haute
    This is an outstanding thread. I can relate to the title. I have a few purchases lined up before I start buying reloading equipment. Probably within the next year I will start buying what I need and this thread will be very helpful.

huntsville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I like the lock n load. Easy to switch out dies. Hornady sells a kit with the press, some bushings, digital scale, trickle charge... for reasonable amount. I got mine at Profire Arms & Supply. Good place to get reloading products.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Wow...that's one helluva write-up on reloading basics in a condensed format. Thank you for putting all of that together in one easy to follow thread!

1motime

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2015
    Clarksville
    Thank you for taking the time to share the great detailed info. I am looking to get a Dillon press soon and look to have everything ready to go before the press arrives.

Still debating whether or not to go with Lee or Dillon Dies.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    This is awesome thanks so much. Will the type of press have any correlation to quality if i want to reload "match" ammunition?

If you "really" want "Match" ammo, you must weigh every powder charge.....

Progressives are great, but how accurate are you looking for ?????

I have been loading on the same single stage, since 1979 .....

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    How expensive is it to start loading your own rounds? It seems like you need an awful lot of equipment.
    It's hard to put a price on it, but if price is a factor then I would check out lee reloading kits. You can get all the necessities in terms of equipment to get you started with these kits for a very reasonable price. You will learn the basics and principles of reloading through these and then you can slowly upgrade equipment based on your preference and funds available.

I will say that it pays off quickly. Im reloading a 50 round box of 45 acp for $8 vs ~$22 at the store. And I find it fun and relaxing.

gonzo0419

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    whiteland
    My first post as I'm new to the site and just about ready to make the investment into reloading. There is more out there than I knew of and hopefully this will make my final decision the smartest for the ammo's I'm going to be reloading.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Great thread! I want to reload to save money, and so I don't have to worry about empty shelves if Hilary gets elected. I have most of what I need to get started and have some experience reloading, but that was over 20 years ago. If I'm just getting started and only loading pistol ammo at first, how important is a case trimmer, deburring tool, primer pocket clean, and bullet puller?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I would agree, the bullet puller cause you are always going to have a need to break down a completed round. Depending on how consistent you want your ammo and how much stress you put the cases through will determine the necessity of the other tools. I've fired dozens of loads through the same 1000 pieces of .38spl brass with out ever doing cases prep, I've also fired max loads out of .44 that stretch the cases enough that it was noticeable on a mic. But guess what, no cases prep there either and they still shot 5 shot groups all rounds touching at 25 yards off the rest. Is there a place for case prep,sure... It's called precision rifle shooting

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Most straight wall cases (not necked down) will show minimal stretching under normal wear. I've shot my 45's and 9mm's numerous times without resizing. When choosing your equipment you should ask yourself how much shooting/range time do you plan on. If it's not much then a single stage is adequate and cheaper but if you plan on doing a lot of shooting you might want to consider a progressive press. I have a Dillon for my pistol loads and would use it for .223 or 300 blackout if I shot them. For my hunting/target rifles I use an RCBS single stage press. It is slower but it fits my needs.

There are numerous manufacturers of reloading equipment. A lot of folks like Lee for the price but I don't. Their stuff just seems cheaply built to me. RCBS isn't called rock chucker for nothing. They are built strong. I am happy with my Dillon but I have never used a Hornady progressive loader to compare to.

I always tell myself that I'm saving money but then I go buy more gun stuff or more guns so the cycle keeps on going. I find reloading fun and relaxing which by itself makes it worth it to me.

Good Luck!!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Most straight wall cases (not necked down) will show minimal stretching under normal wear. I've shot my 45's and 9mm's numerous times without resizing. When choosing your equipment you should ask yourself how much shooting/range time do you plan on. If it's not much then a single stage is adequate and cheaper but if you plan on doing a lot of shooting you might want to consider a progressive press. I have a Dillon for my pistol loads and would use it for .223 or 300 blackout if I shot them. For my hunting/target rifles I use an RCBS single stage press. It is slower but it fits my needs.

There are numerous manufacturers of reloading equipment. A lot of folks like Lee for the price but I don't. Their stuff just seems cheaply built to me. RCBS isn't called rock chucker for nothing. They are built strong. I am happy with my Dillon but I have never used a Hornady progressive loader to compare to.

I always tell myself that I'm saving money but then I go buy more gun stuff or more guns so the cycle keeps on going. I find reloading fun and relaxing which by itself makes it worth it to me.

Good Luck!!

I have a press my brother gave me several years ago to repay me for a Nazi Hi-power I returned to him. He never used the press. When I first looked at it I was a little concerned because the name was Pacific. Single stage. Once I started looking a little closer, I saw in small print, Made by Hornady. So I figured it would work for me.

gamecrimez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Lafayette
    Great post, thanks a lot. It clears up some questions I had. Im thinking about getting into reloading & your "How to" with links has made it easier for me, thanks again!

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    I’m just now starting to look into this.

So what’s the “all in” cost of say a starter progressive set, with tools?

And for 9mm, what’s the per-round cost difference, assuming one buys the less expensive cases, light powder loads, and light bullets vs the cheapest 50-100 rd Walmart box?

Just trying to get an idea of cost and budget, not that anything about this hobby is a financially genious move, lol!

Top Bottom