So you want to reload but you don’t know where to begin (??)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Maybe I missed it, but exactly how much space should I have available for all of this? Would having a reloading room in an outdoor shed be ok or would it be exposed to too much moisture?

JMHO, I have 30+ years experience, Inside the house, or garage..... if powder and primers, get damp, they will NOT go bang .....

irishhp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Thank you sir!

I just got back from Kempfs and did the Lee Classic Turret kit along with a few accessories (scale, bullet puller, manual, bullets, etc.). This is all very exciting! A new bench is on the way (Gladiator) and a couple of extra dies from Midway. I'm going to go the rotary tumbler route with stainless media. Seems an inexpensive way to go for the long run.

One thing I haven't seen in any of the Lee directions so I'm asking help -- do I have to clean anything before my first reload? The Pro Auto Disk? Any of the dies?

Thanks again for a great sticky post.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Thank you so much! This is one of the most difficult parts if firearm ownership. I have been so lost, I was considering giving up on the idea. This is excellent information!

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    I'm really considering starting to reload , I have been looking at Dillion's . I used to reload on a single stage RCBS rock chucker as a teenager . My question is I'm in the southern part of the state and was wondering where would be the best place to buy my new setup at the best price ?
    Does anyone reload in there garage as I do not have a spare room too load inside my house ? Storage ideas for powder and primers if kept in the garage ? Just trying to get my ducks in a row as to the amount of money to get me the equipment to reload . Any ideas to much space I will need to accomplish my new hobby. Thanks in advance

maverick5990

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Plainfield
    where did u buy your reloading kit at i cant find thenm any where, and how much should i spend on one to brgin my own reloading kit.

Check Profire on Rockville Rd at Girls School. If you haven't, take their class before you buy anything. You'll have a much better idea of what's involved and what you need to buy. I did and was glad for all the info.

THEFAT45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2013
    Knox
    Thanks for all the info. I have been thinking about getting into reloading for a while, but didn't know where to start.

hotcorner5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I wish I would have known about this thread when I first started loading.

One piece of equipment that I did not find listed was an ultrasonic cleaner. I use to tumble my rounds but was annoyed by the noise produced by the tumbler and having to use different mediums to get the shine that I wanted. The ultrasonic cleaner is so easy and does an excellent job at cleaner the brass. I bought mine for about $100 dollars and then bought some solution. I bought a gallon of distilled water from the grocery store.

All in all, five minute cycle in the ultrasound machine and my brass are much cleaner than I could ever get in my tumbler.

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Great work linkpimp! I've used Dillon 650, Dillon 550B, Hornady LnL, RCBS Rockchucker. This is the most comprehensive reference I've seen. Thanks for posting!

BIGjoe44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2015
    Bloomington
    Having only just begun committing to reloading choices and being in the throws of which one of what will I purchase I am ever-so-grateful for your invested effort linkpimp!
    There are answers here to questions I don't even know to ask yet!!

This post is a much appreciated gift to this rookie reloader.

Be well, do good work!

Top Bottom