So you find something that appears to be an explosive device. Dam!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    The article does not say who pulled the pin. I'm assuming it was the father, because he was killed. The son/daughter were injured by shrapnel. Can you imagine this conversation with someone who had not heard what happened. Hey, how is your father doing? Son/daughter, oh he passed away a while ago. I'm so sorry, what happened. He was killed by a hand grenade.

• Haha
    Reactions: Ark

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I always wondered where they were doing all this blasting that there would be enough laying around for it to be a problem. Guessing it was for the interstate(s) or other new roads or something.
    I assume in Indiana, there would be lots of blasting in the limestone quarries or gravel pits as well.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I assume in Indiana, there would be lots of blasting in the limestone quarries or gravel pits as well.
    Yeah, I thought about that, but those would be fairly localized. I figured if it was widespread enough to dedicate commercials to it, it must have been more than that.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    March 2003 I grabbed my gear which had 4 Hand Grenades on it.

One of the pins caught on the radio mount and was pulled out.

Anyone guess why I am not dead?

On a side note as DS we would sometimes get old pineapple grenades from the 50’s for the PVT’s to throw. Most of the M67‘s were from the late 60’s to mid 70’s.

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.

On a side note as DS we would sometimes get old pineapple grenades from the 50’s for the PVT’s to throw. Most of the M67‘s were from the late 60’s to mid 70’s.
    Safety Clip?

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

You had the spoon taped.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    At the base I was stationed at in Germany they advised that if you walked or jogged thru the woods stay on the trails, because there was likely unfound ordnance from WWII laying around in the bushes.
    Ft Harrison in Lawrence was an active military post from 1903-1991 (so the internet says). A few years ago we got called out because they were cutting new trails in the woods and uncovered some live rifle grenades. We had to dispose of them in place because they were in such poor shape they couldn't be moved to a safer location.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    This is not really shocking to me, as Americans become more urbanized and glued to high tech devices. Many have become detached from reality. What used to be common sense is not found among the younger generations.
    They probably got the idea to pull the pin off the web with one of those high tech devices.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    Ft Harrison in Lawrence was an active military post from 1903-1991 (so the internet says). A few years ago we got called out because they were cutting new trails in the woods and uncovered some live rifle grenades. We had to dispose of them in place because they were in such poor shape they couldn't be moved to a safer location.

Who the hell uses trails in those woods, lol

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    In the late 1940s and 50s you could go to the local hardware store and buy dynamite and blasting caps. My parents first home, my father built. He dug the well with a combination of a shovel and dynamite. He would go to the hardware store buy a case of dynamite and a package of blasting caps. By the time he hit water he had been through a couple of cases of dynamite.

He also told the story of clearing an old dry well at his parents. He was lowered into the well and discovered a large Boulder had pushed into the side of the well. They decided to blast it and drilled several pockets in it. These were hand drills and a 2 lb sledge by the way.

He then loaded multiple sticks of dynamite and detonated it clearing the Boulder and restoring the well.

This would have been circa 1947 to 1951 near Bicknell indiana.

In the late '70s we went to see the house my parents first lived in. The well Dad dug was still in use.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    There is so much you try to teach your kids when they are growing up. I don't think, "If you find a grenade, don't pull the pin" ever came up. Don't hide in the freezer, don't stick your finger in a light socket, look both ways before crossing the street, 4 rules of firearms safety, but nothing about unexploded ordnance.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Lowest bidder?

Top Bottom