So I got mugged 2 days before Christmas, wtf is this world coming to?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Since you posted your account of the incident up here, I'm assuming you're OK with a little feedback.

First, being intoxicated severly and negatively impacts your ability to be aware of your surroundings. I wonder just how close those guys really were when you were coming out of your front door? If you are going to let your guard down (get drunk) then maybe you should do it in an environment that you can better control, like behind locked doors.

Second, this is a great example of how criminals pick their targets. They had MANY advantages. They waited until 2am, when its dark and people are generally tired at the end of their day. You were intoxicated, which means you're not only slow to react, but also slow to make any kinds of decisions. The brought 5 guys to deal with 2. They brought weapons. Their attack was quick and they left just as quickly. The more you read this, the more it sounds like a SWAT raid utilizing Speed, Suprise, and Violence of Action.

Third, your actions after the incident were haphazard. Getting inside is good. Calling 911 is good. Even arming yourself inside your home is good. Leaving your apartment again with a shotgun looking for retribution is BAD. At that point YOU are the aggressor, and shooting someone would've been Murder. Sure you would've "felt" better, but you'd be feeling it from prison for a loooong time.

Fourth, the police recovered your stolen property. You're only out $14, some smashed up body parts, and a bruised ego. That's GREAT news! You could've been killed, or dismembered, or paralyzed.

I would encourage you to chalk this up to one of life's hard-earned lessons. Knowing how *they* think will give you the advantage to counteract them.

Here's a recipe for avoiding a "next time":

1. Don't get drunk.
    2. Always be aware of your surroundings.
    3. Train in empty-hand techniques.
    4. Train to use a firearm.
    5. Always carry a firearm.
    6. Don't murder people.

Good luck!

I concur with all said here I just didn't want to gibe the poor fellow so soon after his attack. +1 this is all good advice...JC

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I concur with all said here I just didn't want to gibe the poor fellow so soon after his attack. +1 this is all good advice...JC

Like you, my intent was not to point blame. This is a terrible thing to happen to anyone, and I hope he recovers soon.

But before the sting wears completely off, it would be a good time to really evaluate the situation for what it was.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Of the entire OP the following sentence is what sticks out in my mind

Be careful out there people, I live in a community where the last thing you ever do is look over your shoulder to see if anyone is behind you.

In every class or training exercise I have ever been through I was told there is no such place as described. Situational awareness is key no matter where you are.

I'm sorry this had to happen and from the sounds of it, even if you had been fully aware, I think much of what happened would have happened anyway. I'm glad you didn't lose to much, and that wallets were found. Your injuries will heal and you will learn from this as I am sure many others on this forum will also.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Since these thugs were positioned as you mentioned, do you think their intent was a home invasion robbery? I'm sure the group was getting ready to do something. Please consider how this might have turned out. I am glad that you chose to be unarmed while getting wasted. Have you considered the possibility of identity theft? The original thugs and anyone else that handled your wallet have a chance to do this adding insult to injury.

johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    So you and your buddy are intoxicated, operating a motor vehicle and at a liquor store at 0200?

Did you learn anything from this experience?

If you would have read, my buddy just got off work which means he WASNT intoxicated, thats why he was driving, and we were right outside my apartment, NOT at a liquor store.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    If you would have read, my buddy just got off work which means he WASNT intoxicated, thats why he was driving, and we were right outside my apartment, NOT at a liquor store.

me and a buddy decided to make the run to the liquor store for another case of beer since he had just showed up from getting off work and was about the soberest one.

In Steelman's defense..

There are some places that allow employees to drink, especially if they're celebrating just before a holiday. Not a GREAT practice, especially if that employee is about to go driving somewhere, but it happens.

Also, your phrasing "he...was about the soberest one" doesn't really lend a lot of confidence that he was completely sober. :dunno:

Still, sorry it happened, and I hope you get well soon. Your head must hurt like crazy, and being susceptible to migraine-like headaches myself, I'm impressed you're able to read the forums. :)

johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Well thanks for all of the support guys and I am not insulted with any of your advice. I know many mistakes were made on my part and alot could have been done differently but it wasnt and I have learned alot from this whole experience. I do want everone to know that I am not one to drink and drive nore condone it in any way, that is why my friend was driving me because everyone else was in some way intoxicated. I actually decided to go back to the hospital today when I woke up with no vision in my left eye and I just got released. The vision problem is stemming from a severe contusion through the entire front of my eyeball which has since became pretty infected. I should recover fine with these antibiotics and as for the rest its just dealing with the pain. I am very thankful to still have my life and no worse injuries than I do. I appreciate the prayers and concerns and hope everyone has a great holiday! As for me, im looking forward to many rediculous looking christmas pictures that will help me remember this for a long time.

P.S. to the guy that had asked why my buddies ring was in his wallet, he works at a warehouse pulling boxes all night so he takes it off during work to prevent it from getting caught and possibly losing it.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN

Yeah, I misread your story. I realized that you were still in the driveway after I re-read and deciphered the story.

Correct paragraph and punctuation usage have a direct correlation to reading comprehension.

Hope you heal up quickly.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I actually decided to go back to the hospital today when I woke up with no vision in my left eye and I just got released. The vision problem is stemming from a severe contusion through the entire front of my eyeball which has since became pretty infected. I should recover fine with these antibiotics and as for the rest its just dealing with the pain.

Good to hear you will get over your injuries but...

:postpics:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yea man this world is getting messed up bad man. People were murdered on Christmas morning for God's Sake! WTH??? Nothing is sacred anymore and people are heartless. It's sad and I wish so much there was something I could do to help change the way people are thinking these days.

I'm very sorry this happened to you. You are lucky they didn't kill you though. It could have very easily went that way. Unlucky for everything else, but damn man, you're still alive. That counts for something.

In Steelman's defense..

There are some places that allow employees to drink, especially if they're celebrating just before a holiday. Not a GREAT practice, especially if that employee is about to go driving somewhere, but it happens.

I know a certain place that does this among other things. Out of respect I'll leave them unnamed! LOL

Also, your phrasing "he...was about the soberest one" doesn't really lend a lot of confidence that he was completely sober. :dunno:

Yea, that kinda threw me off a bit too. In your defense I can see how emotions could have had your fingers typing faster than your brain. I know I'm guilty of that! LOL

Lack of situational awareness sometimes hurts!:dunno: Im jus' sayin'.

Yea, when you tend to have made a lot of enemies growing up, you learn to watch your six. And three. And nine. And four thirty. and ten thirty.... :p

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have learned alot from this whole experience.

Hats off to you my friend! Then at least the ordeal wasn't completely in vain. What you learned here may in fact save your life someday down the road.

And :yesway: for having a positive attitude!

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    I'm glad to hear you are "alright". Hopefully the cops will catch these idiots or they'll end up victims of their own crimes themselves. Just be thankful you are not dead. Reading this kind of stuff really boils my blood. Just be more vigilant... this world is getting more crazy day by day.

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Hope you get better real soon. I just have to wonder why 5 people were waiting outside for someone to come out. Where do you live, what area? I had someone waiting outside my house one night after work about 3am. I parked my car in the garage that was about 5 feet behind the house. He came around the side of the house with a knife as I was walking out of the garage door. Only problem he had was, I was a Police Officer just off duty and carring my duty shotgun ( never left my gun in my unmarked car). After cuffing him, he told me and about seven officers that showed up after I called it in. That he thought my house sold drugs. His friend saw one of the under cover police cars that was used for drug buys in front of my house. ( one of my friends ). So I would beware, if 5 guys are waiting in the cover of dark, I am sure they wanted a big pay off. Becareful. Also might have been lucky not to have been carrying that night. If they got the drop on you that quick, you couldn't have drawn you weapon and they would have had yours too.

Top Bottom