So I got mugged 2 days before Christmas, wtf is this world coming to?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    So at about 2 o'clock in the morning me and a buddy decided to make the run to the liquor store for another case of beer since he had just showed up from getting off work and was about the soberest one. About 2 seconds after getting in and shutting the doors I was being pulled back out of the car by two black males only to be met by a nice stout pistol to the face. Right before I caught the blow I noticed two more guys standing at the end of my garages both packing and ready to pop one in my a** if s*** were to go wrong. That obviously didnt go over very well with my already intoxicated self. I hit the ground and then recieved about 2-3 more blows to the face that im guessing were about a size 37 boot. I was stripped of my wallet in all of about 2 seconds. Once I got up and realized what happened the guys were gone. I immediately met my buddy on my run through the back into my apartment to grab my shotty and tell my gf to call the police. I unfortunately didnt find the low life mother f****** anywhere as im guessing they wasted no time getting out of there. I woulda loved nothing more than to have placed a few shells of buckshot through their a**** but of course I never got that opportunity. I spent the rest of the night giving my story over and over to the all three cops in my county that im guessing were on duty. Of course these pathetic pieces of s**** got away scotch free with my wallet, my buddies wallet wedding ring and phone, and a nice piece of my face that im sure is still on the gun somewhere. All in all we can count 5 guys and all of which we seen had pistols. Everyone keeps telling me I was lucky, but im still trying to figure out what part of a broken nose, fractured eye socket, and almost 0% visibility through my left eye is luck. I would say I was lucky if on my run back out the other side of the complex with my 12 I caught up with a few of them. Im sure it would be a case where I ended up in jail as the bad guy, but man then would I have fealt lucky. Be careful out there people, I live in a community where the last thing you ever do is look over your shoulder to see if anyone is behind you. Dont think for one second there cant be, because just about that time that your so comfortable that you stop being aware some bulls*** like this happens. The best part is, both our wallets were recovered with his wedding ring still in his, so all they got was about $14 and 9 failed attemps with my debit card at a Shell gas station in Indy. Im just hoping now that some cameras picked them up at some point. Happy Holidays to everyone and remember, you dont have to live in a world of fear, just ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Wow that really sucks man, I'm sorry to hear about all that.

Two things:

1. Be careful what you say on a public forum.

2. Why was your buddy's wedding ring in his wallet?

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    That just sucks. Know you will be mad about it for a long time. Maybe even years. Been there myself. Much more aware of my surrounds now. You will be as well.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    If you're going to drink, do it someplace where you don't have to carry, and have plenty of beer on hand.

I can't help but notice from your account that being intoxicated probably affected 1) your situational awareness and 2) your decision making ability.

I'm sorry you got robbed, but man, really, it could have been avoided and/or the outcome could have been different.

Lesson learned, move on.

Josh <><

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    This is very unfortunate. I am sorry for your bad luck. I was robbed once maybe 20 years or more ago, and I am still pissed about it. Things seem to have a way of coming back around. Try not to sweat it too much. Merry Christmas...JC

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    That is really aweful. And while I mirror concerns that people might have been too toasty to drive, five guys waiting in ambush is something not many get to survive.

Keep us up to date on your recovery. And although they have ruined your day, try not to let them ruin your Christmas! (I know, easily said...)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Sorry to hear about this, I hope you heal up.

Reasons I don't drink (at all):

1. religious conviction
    2. intoxication
    3. bars
    4. liquor stores

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Since you posted your account of the incident up here, I'm assuming you're OK with a little feedback.

First, being intoxicated severly and negatively impacts your ability to be aware of your surroundings. I wonder just how close those guys really were when you were coming out of your front door? If you are going to let your guard down (get drunk) then maybe you should do it in an environment that you can better control, like behind locked doors.

Second, this is a great example of how criminals pick their targets. They had MANY advantages. They waited until 2am, when its dark and people are generally tired at the end of their day. You were intoxicated, which means you're not only slow to react, but also slow to make any kinds of decisions. The brought 5 guys to deal with 2. They brought weapons. Their attack was quick and they left just as quickly. The more you read this, the more it sounds like a SWAT raid utilizing Speed, Suprise, and Violence of Action.

Third, your actions after the incident were haphazard. Getting inside is good. Calling 911 is good. Even arming yourself inside your home is good. Leaving your apartment again with a shotgun looking for retribution is BAD. At that point YOU are the aggressor, and shooting someone would've been Murder. Sure you would've "felt" better, but you'd be feeling it from prison for a loooong time.

Fourth, the police recovered your stolen property. You're only out $14, some smashed up body parts, and a bruised ego. That's GREAT news! You could've been killed, or dismembered, or paralyzed.

I would encourage you to chalk this up to one of life's hard-earned lessons. Knowing how *they* think will give you the advantage to counteract them.

Here's a recipe for avoiding a "next time":

1. Don't get drunk.
    2. Always be aware of your surroundings.
    3. Train in empty-hand techniques.
    4. Train to use a firearm.
    5. Always carry a firearm.
    6. Don't murder people.

Good luck!

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I suppose you coud feel lucky that the 5 thugs were not murderous at heart. if they all had guns and you got a beatup face instead of geting shot, I'd say you were lucky.
    Also if they only got 14 or so dollars and some failed attempts at using a debit card they didn't ruin you financially.
    It is all easy to say because it didn't happen to any of us, so you will have a different outlook than any of us.
    I have never developed a taste for alcohol, and I am never dressed till I am armed, and still I try to be aware of my surroundings because of these stories.
    My prayers go our for you today, for strenth and a speedy recovery. :patriot:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I had a friend that got held up at his front door by gunpoint in the Meridian Kessler area. Guys in a car and one right up to the front door. No injuries except for ego. It can happen anywhere.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Very glad to hear you're ok. I can only imagine the uncontrollable anger and frustration going through your head right now (not to mention a whopper of a headache!) The "if only's", "what if's" and "I shoulda's" can drive ya crazy! Hopefully they'll have the bastards on camera.

Thank God you're alright... could have turned out so much worse. Try to learn what you can from the experience and have a nice Christmas.

Top Bottom