• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    To (hopefully) answer some up-thread questions:

I haven't taken a class with a snubbie, but a gentleman named Jim took the Boone County Sheriff's defensive handgun with me and used one. He shot extremely well, but by the end of ~300 rounds, it was definitely wearing on his hand.

As for LCR trigger vs S&W snubbie, the DA trigger pull is definitely easier on the LCR. Something about engineering and all that. I purchased a j-frame with a nice trigger job for my wife, and the trigger was still difficult for her. Then I got her a LCR (and the smith became my pocket gun) and she found the Ruger trigger to be considerably easier to pull.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    3 inch SP101 used to be my EDC, but when I got my hands on a 3 inch LCR-X, it got delegated to my hiking gun. With hot 158 grain magnums, it was a handful but would put down anything I would come across in the woods here in Indiana. Now the EDC is my LCR and good 38 Spl +P Buffalo Bore loads may be a bit of a handful too because the gun is so light, but since it is so light, I almost forget it is on my hip. I like that.

Now I wish Ruger would make a 44 SPL in the SP101, that would make the perfect trail gun... I am sure the frame could take it but the cylinder would be mighty thin and would have to be made of some seriously well heat treated strong steel. Not sure stainless would be strong enough because somebody would try to hand load 44 magnum in a SPL case...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Although I don't carry often, I have taken the Snubbie Class at Sand Burr Gun Ranch.

While an excellent class, not really a defensive class.

That said, I've had several folks use them for defensive real events and they've turned out quite well. A snub excels in a few things. Concealment and pocket carry. This helps you gain the element of surprise against an attacker. Snubs suck at a few things. Capacity, ease of accuracy vs a full size gun, etc. It all sort of boils down to what you value and what you're likely threat profile looks like.

It's also why I'm stuck in the idea of carrying two guns in two carry positions, that way you've got the weaknesses of one covered with strengths of another.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    for those of us that are required to wear dress pants at work, a j frame size revolver works perfect. I switch between a P380 and a 340PD depending on the depth of the pocket. I prefer to have the j frame, it fills the pocket a bit more and doesn't "swing" as much when walking. Plus the ability to contact fire if need be. A 642 fits in the hidden dash compartment of many newer GM vehicles too.

Gabrielvox1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    Camby, IN
    I still carry a S&W Airweight on a semi-regular basis. I never feel like it's a bad decision, maybe not the best always, but at least it's an open option.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a 640 I bought in the 80's that went to Mag-na-port to have the sight channel opened up, mag-na-ported, and night sights in the frame each side of sight channel and night sight in the front sight. The second set of night sights are dead so it will be going back again for the third set. Has the best trigger pull of any 640 I have tried. Chambers are numbered and the action was worked on by Mag-na-port. Fits in the pocket or on the waist inside or out. Makes hot .357 like shooting .38 wad cutter.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    Local gun shop in Lebanon. I had one on reserve but another shop told me after Christmas. I walked in to buy a case of 9mn and there she sat in the cabinet. Glistening and telling me "I won't be here long, pick me up while you can." So I did.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I just saw an old Smith and Wesson 44Mag snubbie at my gunsmiths shop, old job from the 80's that had magna-port custom work done to it. Holy crap just looking at it made my hand hurt

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    I recently read an article on the 340 and now i sort of wonder if I need one...

You do, just consider it a 38 special. It is no fun shooting .357 out of. I also noticed that the grip you put on it, makes a HUGE difference. The crimson trace grip came off of mine, it was too thin to get a good grip.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My 642

image_zpsfrupyru0.jpeg

Joegrz308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2015
    Lake County
    Out of my SP101, full house 357 Magnums are no problem. I was thinking they were going to really hurt however the grips really absorb the recoil. Definitely more flame and recoil than 38 specials but not bad.

Top Bottom