• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    So, I live in Southern Indiana, about as far South in this state as you can get without getting your feet wet in the Ohio river. I have two vehicles I drive to work, 20 miles, round trip. I have a get home bag in my F150, and some basic tools for emergency use. My old, full sized Ford Bronco obviously has more room for emergency items, but I only drive it to work if road conditions are bad. My question is not really should I get a pair of snow shoes, just in case, but how much should I spend on them, and how difficult would it be to actually use them for someone who has no experience with them?

I remember the blizzard of 78 well enough to know that if I would be stranded on the road somewhere, I'd be in serious trouble if I had to leave my vehicle and walk any distance. We don't get that kind of snow here very often, but have had several deep snowfalls in recent years. I'm planning to buy a pair before this winter, and plan to do some hiking with them to get a feel for what it's like. Any tips from some of you more Northern guys would be appreciated.:yesway:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I have one pair that I used trapping in Minnesota during the early 80's. I have used them a few times at home since then and intend to keep them.
    You're right about the deep snow and having to walk out of a place. It can be tough without snow shoes.
    Snow shoes are a pain to walk in. There's a knack to it but you can figure it out pretty quick.
    Snow shoes have gotten to be high tech since I bought mine. I have the wood frame version with sinew webbing and leather straps.
    If you look around you'll find some milsurp snow shoes for sale.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If I lived in Southern Indiana, I would not own snowshoes. Yes, it could/has happened, but very rare. I live in Ft. Wayne, and only use my snowshoes around here once every couple years, and just for recreation. For practical use, I gotta drive 3 hours north into Michigan.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Have you thought about cross country skis? I don't have any experience on either, but I've heard the skis can have a little less of a training curve and are easier on the novice.

Also for southern IN, I'd probably recommend ice cleats over either.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Remember the T-Shirts brother????

Blizzard of 1977-78

Clarksville Community Schools

"We go in the Snow"

They were selling them at Nite Owl. We got one day off from school while every other school got the whole week off!!!

I am a paranoid prepper and snowshoes will never be a part of my kit living here brother. IMHO ofcourse.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I have limited experience with snow shoes, but can comment on the MSR Denali snowshoes and on the old military issued one

The older ones were the tennis racket style, and could probably be had pretty cheap, but were just god awful, especially when bearing a pack. I have no doubt that with enough practice you could become proficient, but they slip fiercely, both on your feet on and on the snow.

The MSR ones, the current issue, are simply amazing. Very light and very small, they work great. Obviously in the shorter, finless configuration they are not as good, but we moved on fresh powder without much trouble. I'd use fins if I had a heavy pack on though. Maybe a little salty at 150, but I didn't check ebay or anything.

I'd also look into ski poles if you're moving around on snow shoes. They make the trek much more energy efficient as you can lean into it and then have 3 points of contact when lifting a foot for the next step, spreadloading some weight off the one foot remaining in contact.

Snow shoes will be great for their compactness in a car or for doing tasks around the house or camp, but for any serious movements I'd take ski's any day of the week, and twice on a snowday.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I've often thought about buying for SHTF Snow. Sportsman's Guide seems to usually have a selection :yesway:

I just checked, they may be a seasonable item for surplus or lower cost

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I mentioned this thread to my wife last night, I think she's still laughing.:(

Seriously though, I feel pretty good about my preps in most areas, just thinking outside the box.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Remember the T-Shirts brother????

Blizzard of 1977-78

Clarksville Community Schools

"We go in the Snow"

They were selling them at Nite Owl. We got one day off from school while every other school got the whole week off!!!

I am a paranoid prepper and snowshoes will never be a part of my kit living here brother. IMHO ofcourse.
    I remember those shirts. Every morning I would listen to WHAS radio, and hear them say pretty much every school in Kentucky and Indiana was still closed, but we had to go! I was so mad.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The wife and I have two sets of snowshoes; one set is aluminum/neoprene for heavy use (and includes the pair my wife bought when we lived in Washington State in the 70s), the second set is thermoplastic/nylon emergency set which stays in the car come winter time; especially if we're planning a trip up to Chicago or northern Indiana. Like cross-country skiing (I've still got a pair of those from Washington State days), snowshoeing uses different muscle groups than we're normally used to using, so you'll be sore later and you'll tire more quickly than you would think normal.

If you don't want to buy snowshoes, you can make a serviceable pair by using fir tree branches tied to your shoes/boots, or you can construct a pair using cord and long, thin, tree branches. Check out online versions of FM 21-76.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    From my days living in North Dakota, leaving your vehicle is a bad idea until the storm is over. It is easy to turn your vehicle into a comfy safe shelter. It is very easy to get lost and die walking in a storm. Make sure you don't have to leave it.

After the storm, it is not hard to find routes through the snow, binos help.

As for snow shoes, don't just buy surplus crap. The size shoe you need is based on your weight. The design or style is based on what terrain you will travel over and how you want to go through it. Say walking on trails or roads versus going right through the woods.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I would think that snowshoes in S Indiana would be waaaaaaay down on your Preps priority list. Our cabin is probably 30 miles north of the river and I cannot recall ever having enough snow to need snowshoes. Ever.
    However, why don't you just make your own and or make sure you have the materials available to make them if you need them. I would suggest taking the 75.00 your gonna spend and buy something else like First aid items that would actually save your life.
    The odds of actually needing them are so slim.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    Before I bought snowshoes from SG I'd buy a $26 roll up sled to be able to pull my gear. It keeps you from sinking into the deep stuff and glides over the top making. If you get sruck out overnite the sled becomes a bed or a roof.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Snowshoes in Southern Indiana...

Since 1978, when was the last time you had more than a foot of snow in one fall?!
    Now how about Prior to 1978?!

I would just get a pair of Gaiters and walk out...

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky

Since 1978, when was the last time you had more than a foot of snow in one fall?!

We had 18" or so in....2004 I believe. In 93 we had 22". We've had several decent snowfalls, but as I said, Just thinking outside the box a little. I'm pretty satisfied with what I have, I'm more interested in gaining experience with something totally new to me.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

In my lifetime the worst was 2004. Absolutely insane for this area, snow drifts in Evansville were 4-5 feet high beside buildings and covering sidestreets.

We had 18" or so in....2004 I believe. In 93 we had 22". We've had several decent snowfalls, but as I said, Just thinking outside the box a little. I'm pretty satisfied with what I have, I'm more interested in gaining experience with something totally new to me.

Where are you at?

Top Bottom