• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • askeen289

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    About 30 years ago I was with my dad at a gun show when he purchased a custom 1911 with a Colt slide and receiver. I loved the gun from that moment on. Finally about 4 months ago he gave it to me. I had never shot it before and he said he had put about 50 rounds through it but it would smokestack on occasion.

The gun needed a good cleaning when I received it and I tore it down and gave it a thourough once over. I then took it to the range and put about 150 rounds through it. I did get a few smokestacks while shooting. I had some winchester FMJ in the standard 230 grain and some wolf ammo also in FMJ. I noticed that the winchester ammo was smoke stacking and the wolf ammo did not. I noticed that the rim around the bottom of the shell of the winchester was a little thicker than the wolf ammo. I also noticed that on the slide at the ejection port it feels like there is a slight burr on the inside at the back of the ejection port. I thought it might be possible that this burr might be catching the base of the thicker rimmed shell just enough to casue a smokestack. Is this possible?

After talking with my dad he told me the person that sold it to him said it might need to have 400 - 500 rounds shot through it to break it in.

Should I do this or possibly try and work the burr out, or is there other possibilities. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I said before I love this gun and want it to operate as flawlessly as possible.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Shoot a box of quality ammo through it and see what you get.
    Also get a "Good" grip on it as 1911's (some) are sensitive to limp wrist gripping.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    You said you "had" some ammo that you used. Is it old by any chance? Over time powder degrades and so you might not be getting the full charge and an undercharge of powder is one thing that will cause a stovepipe.

Before you change anything, try it with some "fresh" ammo.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Revisit this with:
    Decent ammo.
    Decent magazine.
    Correct grip.

Then see what shakes out.
    If it's *still* an issue, then it's time to look into things like recoil springs, extractor/ejector tension/springs etc.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Excellent suggestions from JETGIRL.

Make sure you have a solid grip on the pistol when firing. "Limp Wristing" can cause a FTE even in a steel framed 1911.

Rule out the magazines by trying a few different quality mags (Wilson, CMC, Tripp).

As always try various ammo, though I would anticipate that a typical 1911 would function best on 230 FMJ.

After trying the above....tell me about the "burr" is it on the breech face (By the firing pin hole). This normally would cause more FTF issues but?

Extractor Tension is a distinct possibility, and where I would go first. Quick test:

Field strip the pistol, carefully place a loaded round under the extractor in the slide. You should be able to lightly shake the slide without having the round drop out. This is a simplified version but a good basic test.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Don't know how custom it is but after 30 years maybe the recoil spring, and see if its got a shock buff that has got gooey on you, if it keeps it up grab a 15lb spring for it

askeen289

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have already ordered a different magazine. I will also try some different ammo as well. Will be heading to the range later this week to see if there is any improvement. Thanks again

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If it were the recoil spring, I would assume it would be battering the slide. My guess is that it's weak ammo, or a weak wrist during recoil. Magazines really should have no effect on ejection.

Take the slide off, lightly lube the rails and locking lugs, and go shooting. Your extractor tension may be off as Jetgirl said. Take an empty brass case and stick it under the ejector of a field stripped slide. You should not be able to shake it out, but you should be able to knock it out with a mild slap of the slide into your palm. If you have to smack it hard or it falls off with a slight bump, the tension needs adjusted.

While you're field stripped, might as well check out the ejector and see if it's broken/bent or has any burrs on it.

I really bet it's the light factory loads though. Of all the issues I have ever had in any pistol, it's been WWB.

blitz91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Terre Haute, In
    like the other posts a firmer grip can help, i have seen this on multiple occasions with people that have shot mainly long guns as they allow a more relaxed firing position. other than that try a box of new ammo or try to find something with a more powerful charge, im a diehard reloader but if thats not available then id say just run only fresh rounds. cheers and best of luck!

:cheers:

askeen289

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    I have some more wolf ammo but no Winchester. If I can find some other type of ammo I will try that but pickings are slim right now and I am also trying a different magazine probably tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Revisit this with:
    Decent ammo.
    Decent magazine.
    Correct grip.

Then see what shakes out.
    If it's *still* an issue, then it's time to look into things like recoil springs, extractor/ejector tension/springs etc.

This.

My guess (and I'm still learning the 1911) is the extractor. If it's stovepiping (aka type 2/smoke stacking) on both types of ammo, it's probably not the ammo. The mags COULD be it, but if the mags havent been stacked and released a lot (aka lots of loading/shooting) then mechanically the springs shouldn't be weak, (springs wear out from a full compression/decompression cylce, not from staying compressed) but even if the springs are weak, a decent extractor should keep throwing the casings out. Bad mags usually cause type III (double feed) or fail to feed malfunctions, not stove piping.

Hence I think it's the extractor. A well made gun like a colt should work straight out of the box. I wouldn't tolerate more than one hang up in the first 1000 rds, and even then it had better be a mag or ammo problem.

Last edited:

askeen289

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Okay I put about 100 rounds through it of Wolf 230 grain FMJ. I did not get any true smokestacks (when the expended shell is completely vertical and catches the slide as it is going forward) I did have two empty shells that stayed low in the ejection port just above the next round not allowing it to enter the chamber.

I have it stripped down now and was trying a live round in the extractor. The round seems to be loose and it will stay in with a little light shaking but does not take much to come out.

Should I look to a new extractor or an extractor adjustment. I will have to try and find some more ammo before I take it out to the range again.

Top Bottom