• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Something followed my home from the range today! :D In all honesty, I didn't intend to buy this one but my fiancé told me I should get it if I liked it. Couldn't pass on that opporintuity!

It's a 6" Target model. The wood is in very good shape and there are a few wear marks. I really like the less common design of the low bore and how light the alloy frame on this is. I didn't have time to go back on the range today, but hopefully I can do so soon to give this a try.

From what I read on the S&W forums, the 422 has a threaded barrel which allows for a suppressor adapter to be easily added. That's cool, don't have a suppressor but it is on the list of wants. They also mention that the firing pin can be fragile, but EWK sells replacements so that is covered.

Does anyone else have one or know now any other tidbits that would be good to know?

I've got an email out to Smith & Wesson to get the date of manufacture, just to satisfy my curiosity.

CCC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2014
    Northeast
    S&W 422 uses same magazines as model 41. I believe there are 12 round mags available, or there were at one time.

85Cosmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    West Lafayette
    S&W made a lot of similar models in the 90's (622, 2206, 2213, 2214), all fun to shoot and very reliable. Some had adjustable rear sights and some a three dot sight system.
    Have fun with it!!

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I have a 622(stainless version), it's at least as accurate as my Buckmark, never a failure of any kind and truth be told, I don't understand why these guns aren't more popular.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'd bet the popularity factor has to do with the ease of obtaining a new Ruger MK, S&W Victory or Browning Buckmark. The out of production status should make the 422 less common. It doesn't help that some find it less visually appealing than other options, my fiancé insists it's weird. She'd rather have a Victory.

I like the unusualness of it. Probably would have bought a new something if it hadn't been different than most designs.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I have a 622(stainless version), it's at least as accurate as my Buckmark, never a failure of any kind and truth be told, I don't understand why these guns aren't more popular.

Because OMFG it isn't exactly the same as everything else. If it isn't a straight blowback for .380 and under or Browning tilt-barrel for anything else and looks exactly like everything else, it's obviously junk!

Though I do have a couple conventional pistols, I love oddball stuff. I've had an eye out for one of these Smiths and you're only encouraging me! Sometimes I think people, especially in the gun community, haven't progressed since the dad in The Croods.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

They were popular but made for only a short time. Cost of production was high and it was not economical to continue. I have owned several 422s and 2213/2214s as well as a few 2206s. Great guns and fun suppressor hosts. You will definitely want to pick up a spare FP and a thread adaptor from EWK and I would also recommend some extra grip screws. For some reason these tend to rust easily.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have a 422 with the thread adapter and HTA Kestrel. It is the bomb and highly accurate. It is my go to piece for varmints and plinking. You are going to love it.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    They were popular but made for only a short time. Cost of production was high and it was not economical to continue. I have owned several 422s and 2213/2214s as well as a few 2206s. Great guns and fun suppressor hosts. You will definitely want to pick up a spare FP and a thread adaptor from EWK and I would also recommend some extra grip screws. For some reason these tend to rust easily.

I'll order the adapter when I place an order for the spare FPs. Makes sense to just order it all at once.

thanks for the heads up on the grip screws.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have a 422 with the thread adapter and HTA Kestrel. It is the bomb and highly accurate. It is my go to piece for varmints and plinking. You are going to love it.

My desire for a suppressor has exponentially increased since Saturday. Lol

Sadly it's something that just isn't in the cards until the end of the year at the earliest. With any luck (HA!) one of the bills will pass and make the process take less time at least.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got to the range last night finally. The 422 is delightful! Very natural grip, fits well and easy for me to hold. A similar grip posture as my 1911s. The trigger has a very clean breaking point and I didn't notice any excessive amounts of travel or mushiness to it. The weight is very nicely balanced as well.

I'm not sure if I'm having unintended movements due to the lighter weight or if I'm moving my finger between shots, but I'm pulling left when I fire. I had this issue when I started with the PPQ but I haven't with the 1911s, which is the only reason I'm wondering if the weight has a part in things.

To make the night more enjoyable, my other half decided she wanted a target .22 as well and bought herself a S&W Victory earlier in the week. We had that along for break in as well last night. A side by side comparison between the two, I'd give the edge to the 422 and she'd give it to the Victory. Shockingly, we both liked the one we picked out slightly more than the other. Mostly due to the grip and how it fit our hands.

The only thing I noticed about the Victory that I didn't like was that it didn't feel as balanced. It felt barrel heavy, to me. It could be from the plastic grip it heaving enough down low weight to offset the bull barrel. It could also be a result of the grip not fitting as well. I found myself adjusting my hands, to try and find a solid purchase on the grip, more frequently than I would like. Find the right spot though and it's a joy.

Overall, we had a great time at the range! And we both having something cheap to shoot now, which makes going more often easier to do.

Top Bottom