Smith and Wesson Serial number lookup....need help.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Is it weird that the 10-6 is older than the 10-5? Is that possible?

With Smith and Wesson anything is possible...Bins of frames and parts...I remember mammynun had a 686 square butt....

"No dude it's not a square butt...They had went to the round butt frame by then..."

"Well your the revolver guy but it sure looks like a square butt..."

"Dude I am looking at the book...In that engineering change based on the the dash number it is a ROUND BUTT!!!"

Two hours later in the shop....

"Huh....That's a square butt...sorry dude...."

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Not too bad though.:) Could you put a ballpark value on it? No papers, box,etc. Just the revolver in excellent condition. Bluing great, stocks in great condition since it's had Pachmayr's on it most of it's life. All original, never worked on.

$800 ish....Maybe more if it's the 6.5 inch barrel rather than the 6 inch barrel...Because of Dirty Harry....

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Not too bad though.:) Could you put a ballpark value on it? No papers, box,etc. Just the revolver in excellent condition. Bluing great, stocks in great condition since it's had Pachmayr's on it most of it's life. All original, never worked on.

I'm not a collector and don't follow the market that close but I would call a 6.5" 29-2 in 95% condition around $1000 retail and if you had box and papers maybe $1200.
    I just work on them and try not to get caught up in the S&W collector scene just my opinion.

BTW if you haven't had the gun long I would pull the rubber grips every once in a while and oil it well under them. The rubber grips are bad about holding moisture and causing rust.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm not a collector and don't follow the market that close but I would call a 6.5" 29-2 in 95% condition around $1000 retail and if you had box and papers maybe $1200.
    I just work on them and try not to get caught up in the S&W collector scene just my opinion.

BTW if you haven't had the gun long I would pull the rubber grips every once in a while and oil it well under them. The rubber grips are bad about holding moisture and causing rust.

Thanks! I'm not a collector either. I believe my brother bought this new and hunted with it, then sold it to a collector friend who never fired it. I traded a Model 629 Classic for it probably 25 years ago at least. I have had it out 2-3 times and put a few cylinders through it. Time to let it go.

I took the Pachmaryr's off awhile ago. I never liked those and since it was sitting in the safe, I thought it may as well look good.:)

Top Bottom