• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    So like the title says, Im having issues with my M&P15-22. Ive put probably 1500 flawless rounds through this rifle so far but when I took it to the range today is wouldnt chamber a round. The bolt carrier seems like it is rubbing and getting hung up. If i pull the charging handle back and slowly release it when it gets about half way though the "window" it will get stuck. Has anyone ever had this issue with theirs? Im am completely stumped on this one. And yes it is clean. I clean it after every outing with it. I took a look inside it and nothing looks wrong. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The bolt carrier seems like it is rubbing and getting hung up. If i pull the charging handle back and slowly release it when it gets about half way though the "window" it will get stuck.

About half way through the return of the bolt to battery it runs into a couple of things:

A) The new cartridge, as it strips one off to be chambered. If the rounds push freely out of the magazine this is probably not the problem, but worth a check anyway.

B) As the bolt returns to battery it encounters the ejector, and I think this may be where the issue is. Check to see if that is bent or otherwise damaged (even fouled, if it is fouled badly enough). The ejector rides in a void cut into the bottom of the bolt. Check to see if the ejector is making contact with any of those surfaces: these parts should not touch anywhere. You can easily see these parts interact from through the magazine well, or directly with the upper open/removed.

My gut tells me (without seeing it) that this is probably where your issue is. with a little luck you may find that the ejector is just bent a little and can be bent back into correct position.

I have no experience with S&W customer service, but you can always send it to them for factory service and repair.

I hope this is helpful to you,

-Paul

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    About half way through the return of the bolt to battery it runs into a couple of things:

A) The new cartridge, as it strips one off to be chambered. If the rounds push freely out of the magazine this is probably not the problem, but worth a check anyway.

B) As the bolt returns to battery it encounters the ejector, and I think this may be where the issue is. Check to see if that is bent or otherwise damaged (even fouled, if it is fouled badly enough). The ejector rides in a void cut into the bottom of the bolt. Check to see if the ejector is making contact with any of those surfaces: these parts should not touch anywhere. You can easily see these parts interact from through the magazine well, or directly with the upper open/removed.

My gut tells me (without seeing it) that this is probably where your issue is. with a little luck you may find that the ejector is just bent a little and can be bent back into correct position.

I have no experience with S&W customer service, but you can always send it to them for factory service and repair.

I hope this is helpful to you,

-Paul

The ejector does ride the edge of the groove that it goes into. I didnt really look at it before the issue started so I wasnt sure if that was how it was supposed to be or not. I may try bending it over a little bit and see how it goes. I appreciate the detailed info.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    The ejector does ride the edge of the groove that it goes into. I didnt really look at it before the issue started so I wasnt sure if that was how it was supposed to be or not. I may try bending it over a little bit and see how it goes. I appreciate the detailed info.

I think this is a good place to look for problems. Mine started acting up similarly sticking etc... and then completly blew the ejector off the bolt...Or maybe it's called the extractor? I called S&W told them what happened and they mailed me a sticker to send it to them. I had it back in about 2 weeks haven't had any problems since. Their CS was A+ for me.

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    I think this is a good place to look for problems. Mine started acting up similarly sticking etc... and then completly blew the ejector off the bolt...Or maybe it's called the extractor? I called S&W told them what happened and they mailed me a sticker to send it to them. I had it back in about 2 weeks haven't had any problems since. Their CS was A+ for me.

Well I bent the extractor back over just a tad so hopefully that will cure the issue. I wont know till I take it back to the range. But thats good to know that their CS is good to go. Thanks for letting me know.

Top Bottom