• ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I have a second floor bathroom sink drain that initially drains ok but then starts to back up into the sink after the water runs for 30 seconds or so. When the water is shut off, it slowly drains down. When the water becomes flush with the opening of the drain, the drain will belch an air bubble and then I can hear the drain clearing quickly. I have taken the following steps in an attempt to clear it but with no success.
    1. Removed and cleaned out the trap
    2. Verified that there is no obstruction above the trap
    3. Ran a snake down the drain line 3 or 4 times, probably 20 ft, slowly rotating it while advancing it and then again while retrieving it.
    I'm about ready to call a plumber. Any ideas or suggestions before I take the next step?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I have a second floor bathroom sink drain that initially drains ok but then starts to back up into the sink after the water runs for 30 seconds or so. When the water is shut off, it slowly drains down. When the water becomes flush with the opening of the drain, the drain will belch an air bubble and then I can hear the drain clearing quickly. I have taken the following steps in an attempt to clear it but with no success.
    1. Removed and cleaned out the trap
    2. Verified that there is no obstruction above the trap
    3. Ran a snake down the drain line 3 or 4 times, probably 20 ft, slowly rotating it while advancing it and then again while retrieving it.
    I'm about ready to call a plumber. Any ideas or suggestions before I take the next step?
    Vent pipe most like sticking out of your roof.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This
    Most likely a critter has an obstruction in your vent stack, usually a bird's nest but can be about anything stopping or restricting it from drawing air..........................to the roof!
    Yeah, this is why I was going to talk to the plumbers about an inside vent when my plumbing was totally replaced. But of course I forgot.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Bill2905, did ya get your plumbing problem figured out?
    I will need to call a pro. If it is an obstructed vent, I have neither the proper ladder nor the courage to access it from a steep pitched second story roof. Maybe a skilled plumber has other ways to address this. When it comes to this kind of stuff, I miss the old days of living in a single story ranch with an easy pitch to the roof.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    If you only have one vent and this is the only problem drain maybe that's not all of the problem.

I have one stack going outside that controls two drains. The rest are vented via generic studor valves. The building inspector suggested using them. Code says one roof penetration, but doesn't care about the rest of the drains. Mine are set up so if I do have a failure I can tie them in to the main vent easily enough with lots of extra pipe.

Never had a problem.

Maybe you can check into how the drain is plumbed and see if adding a mechanical vent is an option?

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I finally had a plumber come out last week. Turns out that my slow running drain was just another typical clogged drain pipe. The plumber said that my hand crank snake probably just poked a hole through it but couldn't clean the line. His machine took care of the problem in short order.

Top Bottom