• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Just wondering if any of you had a sleeping bag as a part of your BOB? I read through the BOB thread stickied at the top and it seems most are using some kind of blanket or space blankets. I would like a sleeping bag but you see all of the warnings nor to leave them compressed or the loft goes and then there goes the warmth? Packing the BOB in the morning and going to work and then taking the sleeping bag out at night and letting it hang seems to defeat the purpose. I would appreciate any advise. Thanks

Doug

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We keep our sleeping bags loosely packed near our BOBs and with our sleeping pads. Easy to reach quickly. Most also have a compression sack. Packs already have straps to attach them ready.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    We keep our sleeping bags loosely packed near our BOBs and with our sleeping pads. Easy to reach quickly. Most also have a compression sack. Packs already have straps to attach them ready.

This is what I do as well. Also blankets in the cars, and mylar blankets in the individual kits. Also, I bought some mid-priced, polyfill Coleman bags for this purpose, rather than expecting to use my good, ultralight, down-filled bags we take camping. (Since down doesn't stay warm when wet, but poly does.)

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I have probably ten mylar blankets in my bob. Couple blankets plus sleeping bags in the cars. Figure the mylar will cover my family plus anyone who might be in town visiting or something.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I normally keep a sweat jacket, a wool poncho, and a heavy duty space blanket in the car all the time.... In the winter I'll add a poly 30 below sleeping bag all scrunched into the stuff sack.... not rolled up.... The military dual bag systems can be had for 80 bucks anymore and are good for the winter months if you get stuck...

I wouldn't try to carry the sleeping bag on my back though...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    you see all of the warnings nor to leave them compressed or the loft goes and then there goes the warmth?
    That's not true for all types of bags, it depends on the fill material. I use a Wiggy's overbag a lot of the time. It may not be rated for -50 but it is light enough I can carry it in winter out to a deer stand or hike home. The trick is to have it when you need it and this bag can be left compressed, is 100% synthetic so it handles water well and is about as light as it gets for a bag like this. There are other brands, the key for me is being able to handle moisture and be light enough I can carry it if I choose to do so. Also small enough it is easy to store in the vehicle. Just having a bag like this in your vehicle can be a life saver, you don't have to carry it with you.

One example would be hunting in Fall when temps are just above freezing, it is raining and someone gets hurt, including a dog. If you make it back to the truck you will be glad you have it. Doing some work, a person gets hurt and starts to go into shock, again good to have.

This weekend I will pulling together my winter gear for my truck and at least one bag will be in it.

docapos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    mooresville area
    I carry an Adventure Medical Kits SOL Escape Bivvy, breathable and windproof it works much better than just a Mylar blanket because it is a true mummy bag. Combine it with a ground pad to reduce conduction heat loss and you're set.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have probably ten mylar blankets in my bob. Couple blankets plus sleeping bags in the cars. Figure the mylar will cover my family plus anyone who might be in town visiting or something.

You having young children puts you in the same deal as us. G-daughters and very young.
    Got away from the bags and have a system of weather resistant totes with the sleeping gear nearby. These are easy to snatch up and load plus we have so much more gear now with the extra space. Any bugging out would have to be in vehicles.

Top Bottom