• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjwin1967

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    12 gauge. Point, click and ship. You've seen a lot of movies where the victim is shot repeatedly and there are plenty of real accounts of people being shot numerous times with this pistol or that rifle. You don't need more than one round with a 12 gauge. It's also the ideal zombie gun.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    The 12ga shotgun is defiantly the most versatile survival weapon, its capable of taking any size game by simply changing ammo. Number 6-8's for squirrels and rabbits and 00buck or slugs for large game and Zombies. The downside is the ammo is heavy and you cant carry a lot of it. What I would take or carry would depend greatly on the scenario and rather or not I was the only survivor or if I had family members along.

My guess is that more than likely I will take whatever I can get. Usually when :poop: goes wrong it all goes wrong. If in your grandiose plans you mean to have an AR-15 and a side arm and a bunch of ammo, all decked out in all your tactical gear. Chances are you'll end up with a Jennings .25cal Saturday night special and 20 rounds in your P.J.'s. I mean what do ya do if there has been some sort of detonation and your gun safe has toppled over and cant be moved or its damaged and bent and cant be opened, then your stuck with your nightstand gun and whatever ammo wasn't in the safe. WOW that's a bummer I wish I hadn't even thought of it..

I agree that its fun to chat and imagine going out into the wilds of a defunct civilization and being like the ultimate warrior but in reality chances are we are just gonna be clawing threw the mud for anything we can get...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The 12ga shotgun is defiantly the most versatile survival weapon, its capable of taking any size game by simply changing ammo. Number 6-8's for squirrels and rabbits and 00buck or slugs for large game and Zombies. The downside is the ammo is heavy and you cant carry a lot of it. What I would take or carry would depend greatly on the scenario and rather or not I was the only survivor or if I had family members along.

My guess is that more than likely I will take whatever I can get. Usually when :poop: goes wrong it all goes wrong. If in your grandiose plans you mean to have an AR-15 and a side arm and a bunch of ammo, all decked out in all your tactical gear. Chances are you'll end up with a Jennings .25cal Saturday night special and 20 rounds in your P.J.'s. I mean what do ya do if there has been some sort of detonation and your gun safe has toppled over and cant be moved or its damaged and bent and cant be opened, then your stuck with your nightstand gun and whatever ammo wasn't in the safe. WOW that's a bummer I wish I hadn't even thought of it..

I agree that its fun to chat and imagine going out into the wilds of a defunct civilization and being like the ultimate warrior but in reality chances are we are just gonna be clawing threw the mud for anything we can get...

Wanna real bummer to consider? One very real SHTF possibility here is that of a tornado coming through and wiping out a town. Then we'll need our guns to deter looting, etc. Except (especially for those of us without basements) our guns and ammo are liable to be in the next county!!! Not sure what to do about this possibility.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Wanna real bummer to consider? One very real SHTF possibility here is that of a tornado coming through and wiping out a town. Then we'll need our guns to deter looting, etc. Except (especially for those of us without basements) our guns and ammo are liable to be in the next county!!! Not sure what to do about this possibility.

That would also suck really bad.. Now I feel like I should just start to OC my AR and keep her with me all the time lol. OMG I bet that would go over like a lead ballon..:D

robitraw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Noblesville
    I think you need to also look at the possibility of who you would have to use your rifle against. .223 is the NATO round. Its very common and most of the people in the states would probably use that. If SHTF ammo is going to be hard to come by. Even more so than now. Also when I went through basic training we were issued M16 A1s. From Veit Nam. I remember the butstock on mine would twist around, and it would still fire true. Ammo is what you might want to worry about though.
    just a thought

Last edited:

IndianaWoodsman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    East Central
    I have changed my thinking somewhat since my last post. I will still carry the 77/22 but it will not be my main gun. I did some taget practice last week with my new favorite gun, a Norinco SKS. My target was a washing machine set at 250+ yards. The 7.62x39 HP passes all the way through, leaving a massive hole on the exit. The .22 goes cleanly through the first layer of sheet metal and stops there.
    The .22 is good but the SKS will be my main carry gun.

One .45 goes on my right thigh in a holster attached to my tactical vest and strapped to my leg. The other .45 will either be on my belt on the left hip or stuffed in my BOB on my back. If I get the Hi-point carbine back from the fix-it shop in time, it will be slung on my back under the BOB. Otherwise the .22 will be back there and I will carry the SKS. Yes it's heavy but I will have 500 rds of .22, 200 .45's and 500 - 1000 7.62x39's when I start out.

The.22 will primarily be for hunting food, while the others will be for the war.

mmaddox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    So much depends on the setting, an AR is a good choice, but in our flat lands, I feel a heavy caliber, something in 30 is needed. I have gone with .06, but there are other good choices.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    So much depends on the setting, an AR is a good choice, but in our flat lands, I feel a heavy caliber, something in 30 is needed. I have gone with .06, but there are other good choices.

AR + .30 full powered rifle = AR-10 :rockwoot:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I would carry my SKS even though it is heay I would have my 12 ga pump over my back and my 9mm on my hip. Also, I would have a .30-06, .22 and plenty of ammo or all.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've already posted the guns I'd have if on my own. But if I happen to have friends with me that are also armed or need armed. I'll carry the SKS, with my 30-06 on my back, and my 45 on my hip and my CZ-52 in shoulder holster. If I can get back in shape I'll go ahead and throw on the 12ga as well. If not then the friend with me will have it and one of my other rifles.

Top Bottom