• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The AR and AK have proven themselves on many a battlefield. Take which ever one you're more proficient with and have the most ammo for. The AK is pretty sturdy but I'm grabbin an M4 and my M1A. My 1911 will be on my hip.

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    The AR vs. AK debate is age-old. Start with a good Wiki entry on the topic here: Comparison of the AK-47 and M16

When you're done with that consider your needs in specific and the conclusions you've drawn from an assessment of your personal situation. Then, and most importantly, pick one or the other and train with it extensively and exhaustively and don't look back.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Originally Posted by Richard
    Your going to need more than an "assault rifle" if your going to venture into Detroit city limits post-SHTF.
    A M60 or M240B aint even going to help you.... Gotta get armor first! Good armor - ballistic helmet, Level IV vest and get tactical training! Heck ... might even throw in an uparmored humvee and a tactical fire team!

Last edited:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    well I'd prob have my SKS and so far 4 20 rd tapco mags, with my mossberg maverick 88 with 7+1 cap 12 ga on my back in a scabbard, my G30 on my hip with 2 13 rd mags and 2 10 rd mags on me, along with my CZ-52 in a shoulder holster with 3 spare mags. If I need long range I'd prob reach for my 30-06 mauser, or my K98 mauser.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The AR vs. AK debate is age-old. Start with a good Wiki entry on the topic here: Comparison of the AK-47 and M16

When you're done with that consider your needs in specific and the conclusions you've drawn from an assessment of your personal situation. Then, and most importantly, pick one or the other and train with it extensively and exhaustively and don't look back.

AR or AK? Feh.

Humorous Comparison of an AK47, an AR15 and a Mosin :D

Mosin, FTW! :rockwoot:

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is a great site that explores a number of these questions. Think of it as MythBusters for ballistics!

They answer the question of shotgun loads penetrating drywall in this chapter: The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 1

If the load is effective against a human aggressor, it will penetrate at least two sheets of drywall (one interior wall).
    This is an awsome link for anyone who wants to get educated on what shot is best for what task..Thanks Swatdoc!

darrent

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    In a SHTF scenario, I would recommend a Glock .40 pistol (with a 9mm conversion barrel). That would allow you to shoot both of the most popular calibers out there. It's not the most accurate pistol, but parts are cheap and it is easy to repair.

For a rifle, either the AK or AR (or their variants) will work just fine. For survival, I am partial to the AK. Having been on the receiving end of this weapon, I quickly learned to respect it. I saw an AK that was rusted, with a magazine covered in rust, fire rusted bullets without any problem. It doesn't get much better than that for reliability. I also saw a M16 jam with a little bit of sand in a firefight. If you choose the AR, just make sure to pack a cleaning kit and maintain it regularly while in the field.

If you choose to go with the AK, then purchase some cheap 7.62x39 rifles to go with it (like the SKS). If you go with the AR, then look towards cheap .223 rifles (ex. mini-14). This way you just add a few extra round to your regular caliber cache. Most likely your neighbors/other family members will not be prepared. You will need their help establishing and securing a parameter.

Top Bottom