• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I'm trying to decide what I'd grab if it came down to war in a city enviroment. I have a G19 and plenty of mags with a tactical shoulder holster. But I am stuck between the AK and AR. I have AK's that are dependable and I can hit a human size target at 100 yards. But the bullet passes through everything. But they'll take a beating.
    Or one of the AR's? I know how accurate they can be. But I worry about how they will handle the abuse of an actual war senerio, set on concrete hard, just general abuse. But the bullet wont pass through as much. I just want to be ready.
    All my family is in Detroit and refuse to leave. So when my baby sister calls and says come get me................

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Great question!

The .223 is moving faster then the 7.62x39 so it should be reverse. One thing to consider is the ar and ak are both in a "real war scenario." Each will do just fine. Which are you most accurate with? Which functions better? I haven't been in a real war situation but when my paintball gun won't fire, now that is a crappy feeling. I'd never want to feel that in a war situation.

Mine is the m1a.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    My CZ VZ-58 all tacti-cool and my XD-9 with 18rd mags in a shoulder holster with my CZ-75b with 19rd mags on the hip for back up...lol

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Go with an AR or something that takes AR mags. LE and NG both use the AR series so if S really HTF then you can readily find ammo and mags. Both are perfectly reliable when properly maintained the AK is a little more forgiving tho.

Big Country

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Downtown
    Pref

I would grab whatever goes bang every time and whatever you have and can carry the most ammo for. Certain types of ammo get very heavy, even after a few hours of training IMHO.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Go with an AR or something that takes AR mags. LE and NG both use the AR series so if S really HTF then you can readily find ammo and mags. Both are perfectly reliable when properly maintained the AK is a little more forgiving tho.

I dont think that le and ng would give any supplies to civilians if shtf. As long as it can defeat body armor ill stick with that. I woyldnt worry about penetration if shtf

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Wow! I realize that that sounds like I'm gonna be killing LEO's and NG's. I'm not. But they will be on the frontline of any SHTF scenario as will there bodies and gear. Never leave a man behind only applies if there is somewhere to be extracted to.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    I'm trying to decide what I'd grab if it came down to war in a city enviroment. I have a G19 and plenty of mags

Lose the "tactical shoulder holster" in favor of a good IWB (MTAC. Buy one.) and you're set. You're not going to be digging in and shooting people at 100yds in this hypothetical EOtWaWKI scenario. Toting around a hi-cap semi-auto rifle/carbine just makes you a more interesting target.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    The AR and the AK are both battle tested and either one would work depending on how comfortable you are with either one.

I had a friend I used to work with that was in Iraq in 91. He said that when he was in open desert he opted for his M4, but when it came to clearing houses or CQB type stuff he would sling the M4 and go with an AK that he picked up from a dead Iraqi. My point........each situation calls for a different tool, if you can do it, why not go into with ALL the tools you can carry (AR, AK, pistols).

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    SHTF/war in a city environment? Shotgun. It's ammo flexibility covers all the needs you are likely to encounter.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    SHTF gun? too many opinions on that for me to comment, what you need is a SHTF buddy who will cover you and vice versa. force multiplication is the key.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have carried the M16/m4 series for several years i various city environments and never had/seen any problems with it. And you would really be surprised how little maintenance an modern AR actually requires.

Top Bottom