• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    When SHTF, I want an SKS.

Why?

Try to kill that gun. Go ahead, try it. Magazines? What magazines!?! They get lost, break, become inoperable etc...the SKS has one built in, and if it breaks, you've still got a reasonably easy to load single shot rifle.

The AK takes abuse, thats for sure. The SKS probably enjoys it.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008

Why?

Try to kill that gun. Go ahead, try it. Magazines? What magazines!?! They get lost, break, become inoperable etc...the SKS has one built in, and if it breaks, you've still got a reasonably easy to load single shot rifle.

The M1A and Garand are also some rock solid rifles :)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Why?

A modern AR will take just as much abuse as an AK. Plus you can actually hit your target on a first shot. :D

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'll take my rifle and revolver in 357 plus all the ammo I can carry. Then comes my AR and all the 223 rounds I can get someone else to carry. Accuracy over stopping power over multi round shots.

My AR and ammo goes in the truck. The 357 rifle and revolver goes on my body.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I'll take my rifle and revolver in 357 plus all the ammo I can carry. Then comes my AR and all the 223 rounds I can get someone else to carry. Accuracy over stopping power over multi round shots.

My AR and ammo goes in the truck. The 357 rifle and revolver goes on my body.

Yup! It also may not hurt to have an A bag with ballistic helmet and vest with IV plates along with other alert gear :D Just strap up, grab the AR-10, A bag and go.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    The M1A and Garand are also some rock solid rifles :)

Absolutely, and I'd feel more than comfortable with either one. The only thing I wouldn't like about the Garand is trying to keep track of those en-bloc clips during a SHTF scenario....if you ain't got a whole bunch of em, who knows when you're gonna see them again?

As to the AR...that direct impingment system sucks. A piston driven AR would certainly be preferable. When I think "SHTF", I consider the possiblity that my weapon might have to work when I haven't cleaned it for days after firing repeatedly, and DI ARs, pardon my french, crap where they eat.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Lose the "tactical shoulder holster" in favor of a good IWB (MTAC. Buy one.) and you're set. You're not going to be digging in and shooting people at 100yds in this hypothetical EOtWaWKI scenario. Toting around a hi-cap semi-auto rifle/carbine just makes you a more interesting target.

Hmm, wow, never thought of that. Great point. Either an interesting target, or a Somali.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I think his assumption is that if you find a dead cop or US soldier, you will find ammo, no that the cops would just give it to you.

I don't wanna think about this today. Can't we all just take one day off and pretend the SH won't HTF. :!

I always figured whatever we started out with would end up being replaced with whatever we scrounged along the way from the fallen. kinda like dropping those .45 single shots behind enemy line plans. 1 gun to take out a BG from behind for his weapon.
    Plus I figured there was a reason ammo and weapon loadouts were small yet heavy compared to everything else a solider carried. Travelling overland crossing water away from bridges avoiding choke points and ambushes set up by the predators. Gatta be able to move and sustain your energy. Can't get over loaded.
    Baby sis might just have to hold out quite a while til you could get to her. If you ever make it. That being said. I agreed with every post here and I want 2 of each loaded in back of a striker or that marine amphib with the bad as long tube on it. And a full team of the baddest mofos on the planet. Forget the A team I want fockers that can hit someone with less than 30 rounds. Detroit was spooky in 1990 I don't wanna imagine it if the SHTF.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    One of the reasons I'm so fond of Commie guns, is my requirement for SHTF guns...it has to work without accomodations.

Dry, wet, dirty, cold, hot...it has to work. Even if its shooting patterns at 100 yards rather than groups, if it works its ok in my book. Granted, its going to be necessary at some point to have an accurate rifle to take game, but for the initial stages, I want something that'll run completely unlubricated with dirt in the action, even if it barely hits the broad side of a barn on the other side of a football field.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    One of the reasons I'm so fond of Commie guns, is my requirement for SHTF guns...it has to work without accomodations.

Dry, wet, dirty, cold, hot...it has to work. Even if its shooting patterns at 100 yards rather than groups, if it works its ok in my book. Granted, its going to be necessary at some point to have an accurate rifle to take game, but for the initial stages, I want something that'll run completely unlubricated with dirt in the action, even if it barely hits the broad side of a barn on the other side of a football field.

Firing dry, wet, dirty, cold or hot barely hitting the broad side of a barn does you nothing but waste ammo. Something that will be very precious in a SHTF situation. You can't count on foraging for rounds because the opposition more than likely will be in the same boat. and if you do find ammo, there's greater chance it's going to be 5.56.

A standard AR-15 will go a good 5000+ rounds (166 30 rounders, you're not going to carry that many on you) in a US city style environment before needing cleaning since it's not a overly dirty like the middle east. As far as lube, know how and where to place it to provide proper prolonged operation .

I'll take shot placement over spray and pray anytime, because at some point who you are shooting at is going to realize you're not in the ballpark with you shots and just sending rounds down range, that's when he's going to just hold steady, sight you in and drop you like a rock and move on to the next target.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Ive got a Yugo M48 and 1.2k rounds of 8mm on stripper clips. Bring it, LOL.
    When its gets close I switch to my 10/22 (I can carry 1.5k rounds of 22lr in the same space as 200 rounds of .223). Gets to much closer and I go Ruger SP101 .357, and by that point ill be dead so the 18inch machete will probably not get used to much.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Even though the 7.62 and 5.56 are similar, the 7.62 would be better suited for shooting through cover in SHTF. Alos, if we are being invaded by another country, many many countries use 7.62 as well.

As for there being a lot of 5.56 here in the US, that is true, but I highly doubt policy, NG, military etc would be giving any out to us. Of course there are the pickups along the way and such.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Both will zip right through a car, as will 45 and 9mm.

You better be behind a wheel or an engine block. The rest of the car is concealment not cover.

Top Bottom