• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    As far as freeloaders go, it's a case by case thing. I either plan on not answering the door, or being gone before anyone would show up. At the same time though, I don't want to look my maker in the eyes and say I didn't help feed the hungry either. If I can help someone without hurting myself or family, I'll gladly do it.

If the home gets broken into, then it's a home defense type of thing.

In my family, my generation lives in housing additions with the exception of one couple who lives near a perfect water & fishing supply. One member of the fam is a big fisherman, and I am big into hunting, long range shooting, & ex Army Combat Engineer. We'll be fine. :)

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've told the people who said " I'm coming to you house"...
    Don't bother! I won't be there because I've planned ahead and my plans don't include you, your family or your friends. If by some reason you catch me on the way out, you'd better have something good to contribute in the way of supplies and skills because if you don't, you, everyone and everything with you will end up as part of my supplies...

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    This is an interesting thread because I know I have heard people say they were going to a certain persons house and I like it because it means they will leave me alone. I will NEVER show anybody my supplies or do I really talk about it unless its with like minded people. Also, I am hesitant about my neighbors even knowing I have any firearms.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm not at all shy about telling such people they aren't welcome. I've provided for my family, I can't provide for theirs. Bring something to the party, or don't come.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I always ask: What do you have to offer? What special skill set or concept can you offer me to help "pay" for my support?

Needless to say, "I can shoot" isn't a good enough answer to me. If you ask anyone, they will automatically claim they can shoot. Not good enough, they have to shoot either as well or better than I. Welding or driving a truck isnt good enough either. I want folks with medical experience or farming experience.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I would agree that people need to bring something to the party or not show up at all. Another hunter, or fisherman is a plus. Beyond that, they better know something important about farming or medical.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    My biggest gripe is when folks talk about military service as being something to bring to the table. Military service, nowadays, can include ziplining out of helicopters or driving a truck or pushing a pencil. Mil experience means nothing to me unless they can prove a more "civilian" marketable skill.

jmiller676 gets it right in my mind: If the SHTF situation is bad enough to warrant rioting and general disarray, then those who are "invited" will be let in, everyone else, sorry.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I can see why you wouldn't just automatically consider military service a free pass inside. Even though I appreciate all the different MOS's (jobs) comparing an account to an infantryman, isn't apples to apples. I was a combat engineer and we were just gloried grunts with more explosives. Not trying to take away from anyone's service, but it always cracks me up with I listen to Air Force mechanics talk about how hard it was over there for the month and a half they were there. Then I share a story and they shush, especially when i mention that we had it good compared to many.

IndianaWoodsman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    East Central
    I have had people tell me they will be coming to my house but not because of the food stash...It seems that I have one of the largest patches of woods surrounded by farm ground and thicket in this county. I know it like the back of my hand and can get through it blindfolded in the dark. The moral? Know your surroundings. If you are in a city, know how to move around in it without being seen and know where to find food and water there.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I figure that if someone shows up, then that's another potentially armed person.

I need to pick up another M/N. Made a mistake and sold mine. But my brother, a non-gun person, was able to pick it up and fire it accurately enough to take out a human at 100 yards with very minimal instruction.

I think I might get a couple of those for the non-gun folks, and keep my more complex guns for myself.

If they're capable of hitting a bullseye, they're capable of sitting there and hunting squirrel or deer, or guarding the apple tree or garden.

Josh <><

Top Bottom