• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    We've stashed enough for a few more neighbors, just in case. I mean, we can't provide for EVERYONE, but there's a few people that would be welcome. These are mostly people without basements, but would be willing to contribute supplies and equipment in exchange for shelter.

I jokingly tell them that they will be checked for firearms upon entering...and if they don't have any, one will be provided to them.:D

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    This is a touchy subject...hard to decide on what to do. I'm just glad that I'm out in BFE and there are a few tight knit families between us here in Deadman's Hollow. There would defientley be a community type deal going on here...

After all, I am on the state line of Indiana/Illinois...I may need a group with the bad areas and types of people that come out of the Danville, IL area.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Anybody ever tell you, after seeing your pantry full of food...

"Boy if the s*** hits the fan, I'm coming to your place!!"

And they are serious.

I tell them if they come to my place, their corpse will be hanging in my makeshift meatlocker (i.e. I'll eat them, seriously)!

The people who are too irresponsible to prepare for this upcoming crisis are the same dipsh-ts that allowed all of this to take place (i.e. unaffordable mortgages; outlandish credit card debt spending).

And, for those of you with survival retreats away from your home, you better be prepared to fight your way in when you show up. You can bet that you are not the only one that knows about the place, and property ownership won't mean anything to the squatters inside.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Think of it this way:

If you live in a town/suburb, you will have freeloaders no matter what. And you cannot hide your lack of starvation. The response will be communal because you live in a community.

If you live on a farm, you will need extra hands for security. Because everyone knows you have food - it's a farm! And when they come, they will come in large numbers and be experienced. You will need lots of hands.

If you live in the city, you will need eyes and ears. Your neighbors will be your best defense when the vermin start hunting and keeping your neighbors alive and functional is as important as keeping yourself alive.

So, short of living in a cave and defending your last deer kill, there will be some communal defense, requisitioning, and support. Be ready now, cause you will need them later. Even if they are a bunch of freeloaders.

Not to mention, unless you are ready to kill them all, you had better have a plan to help them help themselves:

YouTube - The Shelter (1/3)

YouTube - The Shelter (2/3)

YouTube - The Shelter (3/3)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    In my neighborhood, I'm not so sure how many people would bring anything to the table. It would be good for the entire neighborhood to contribute and defend, but there are so many sheeple out here we'd be fighting amongst ourselves more than helping each other. I have 7 mouths to feed in this one home and maybe enough food for a month or more at any given time. That is, if we ration our food. I already hear everyday , all day how my kids are SOOOOOO hungry after an hour or two when they've already ate. :rolleyes:

It's hard to say I'd be kind and take in freeloaders if we stayed put. I don't plan on staying put though. I have a couple good neighbors who could help contribute to "convoy security" and I would rather not stay in this "trailerpark full of houses" situation I'm currently in. I'd rather fight my way west.

If we do stay, I will not take in anyone who doesn't have anything to bring to the table, unless they are in dire need. I.E., being chased by an angry mob. If that's the case, I'll help them until it's safe for them to leave, but they cannot stay and I will not be providing supplies for them.

As a friend once said, they better be bringing a suitcase full of money and their 16 yr old daughter.
    :scratch:

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    A guy i work with once told me that ....."If SHTF I am coming to your house " to witch i responded "call first or you will be shot just as if you are the enemy ".

He then said "I don't know your phone number "
    I said "Exactly "

Nuff said ..:patriot:

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've heard people say that they'll go to this or that person's place because they're prepared. My thought that if they are friends or family, make it very clear to them that if they come your way, they need to plan that out now, and "here is a list of things you need to have and do", otherwise I can't take you in, so let's plan now, in earnest, when it's easy. I think it's always good to think of having extra, for charity.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I've heard people say that they'll go to this or that person's place because they're prepared. My thought that if they are friends or family, make it very clear to them that if they come your way, they need to plan that out now, and "here is a list of things you need to have and do", otherwise I can't take you in, so let's plan now, in earnest, when it's easy. I think it's always good to think of having extra, for charity.

basics are important

food-shelter-clothing-gear- plus protection for them and thiers.

I have two family members with camping trailers. They are welcome any time if they bring them stocked.

The few in the family and friends I have talked to about this understand it would not be a vacation and work is involved.

I just need to be close friends with a doctor, a pharmacy owner, a heavy contractor, general contractor and a machine shop owner.

Last edited:

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I have been thinking about this. I do not have a lot of food or water stored. A few weeks or so but not a ton or anything. I have a water purifier and could use that but I think i'm lacking in the food department. I don't have anywhere picked out but if the SHTF I may be on the move a few weeks into it. So while I'm on the move (with my weapons and ammo) if I would happen on some good people who had food..... Would any of you folks be happy to see my Wife and I. We are both Army trained and have both spent plenty of time in combat zones.... Have weapons and ammo.... We could help out a lot on guard shifts and are great shots......

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I have been thinking about this. I do not have a lot of food or water stored. A few weeks or so but not a ton or anything. I have a water purifier and could use that but I think i'm lacking in the food department. I don't have anywhere picked out but if the SHTF I may be on the move a few weeks into it. So while I'm on the move (with my weapons and ammo) if I would happen on some good people who had food..... Would any of you folks be happy to see my Wife and I. We are both Army trained and have both spent plenty of time in combat zones.... Have weapons and ammo.... We could help out a lot on guard shifts and are great shots......

I think this ties in with other statements about about what your bring to the group that might adopt you. Military training is always welcome I suspect and for those without, you definitely have something to offer. Medics would rank high on the list also.

Part of this situation brings into play with how charitable a person would be without opening Pandoras box for anyone who did not prepare.

Some of the moral implications with a SHTF scenario I think require further review. If you run someone off, does he/she tell others? Now you have multiple problems to deal with, instead of one.

See what I mean?

If you revert to shooting anyone and everyone who approaches, where do you stop?

Please don't take this in a bad way. Contemplating a SHTF problem could mean anything from 2-3 weeks to a real TARFU situation. I have been wrestling with this for some time.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Well I am going to medic school after a bit,.... if that helps. I understand what you mean. Turning people away would make you more of a target but that does emphasize how important it is to make it look like no one is home.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County

one way to help last longer on your own would be to stock up a bit more on food. I can't do much till I find another job, but I"m doing what I can. But most people here might help you out. Its a hard choice to make.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I can stock up on MRE's. They have about 3000 calories a piece and a long long shelf life. Have eaten them for months at a time, they would be ok. Might have to start shooting dogs if things got to bad...... (did i just type that). Forming groups that can help one another is better than trying to do everything on your own anyway. That way everyone can share knowledge and pass it on.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Medics would rank high on the list also..

Although I'm stocking my own supplies , this is what I'm banking on . It presents it's own catch 22 though .

I think most folks don't realize that plugging holes hasn't changed much at all , but the treatment afterward is going to be hell in a post shtf scenario .

For example , say your kid has just been shot , a simple through and through "flesh wound" with no vital organ contact . You can hopefully stop the immediate danger by getting the wound cleaned and dressed .

Do I try to suture it up or go with open wound healing ?

Now in the following days and weeks you have to worry about infections , wound debriedment and unreliable resupply , and you WILL run out .

Your "medic" probably isn't going to be an MD , they were trained in "package and transport" , not long term care .

So inevitably there will come a time when they will tell you that they've done all they can and hopefully you can deal with what that means .

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Although I'm stocking my own supplies , this is what I'm banking on . It presents it's own catch 22 though .

I think most folks don't realize that plugging holes hasn't changed much at all , but the treatment afterward is going to be hell in a post shtf scenario .

For example , say your kid has just been shot , a simple through and through "flesh wound" with no vital organ contact . You can hopefully stop the immediate danger by getting the wound cleaned and dressed .

Do I try to suture it up or go with open wound healing ?

Now in the following days and weeks you have to worry about infections , wound debriedment and unreliable resupply , and you WILL run out .

Your "medic" probably isn't going to be an MD , they were trained in "package and transport" , not long term care .

So inevitably there will come a time when they will tell you that they've done all they can and hopefully you can deal with what that means .

This is where I'm glad my mom is a help at home aide and has most all the supplies on hand to be able to take care of most of what we'd run into. Along with the supplies I have as well. She may not be a full doctor or nurse but she does know alot.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    No one knows what I have stockpiled....cept a few like minded friends. All of us have something to bring to the table and a place to meet.
    I don't talk to sheeple about it.

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I have a family and would intend on surviving as a family. Our geographic SHTF position has isolation, water, heat, and food. It has only 1 road of access and has perhaps 15 total neighbors within a 1 mile radius. Although most of those neighbors are older folks, several have horses (good for a work and transportation). Most others have extra land and buildings (shelter for extra young folks like their kids and grandchildren). I do not intend to protect the front door of our place of family shelter (although it will be amply guarded :-) ). I intend to provide security to our area by manning checkpoints in and out. Because of this those neighbors, even if they are a little older, would be absolutley necessary in terms of rotation and cooperation. Keep raiders vehicles from approaching the houses, and you keep them from approaching your families. Even if they are in superior force, you would have initiative in the situation, prepared position, and a plan of where to fall back to for additional help. I realize that most people don't have such a geographical advantage, but I'll take advantage of it since I do.
    Most of my family and good friends who would not prep are younger and in good shape. They would come around quickly in the face of the reality of such a situation. My preps are made to take their slack into consideration while cashing in on their presence in the event. They are, in effect, a resource in my plan without knowing it. Luckily the older members of my family are all on board. They will have already contributed and will continue to contribute in the ways they are capable if such a SHTF event were to happen. In such an event, I think having family close and a network of neighbors to work with will be crucial despite the challenges the extra mouths bring.

-Calvin

Top Bottom