• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ahhh....I misunderstood. When your the only one capable of a nuclear strike, you're guaranteed to be first.

Pretty much. There's always speculation that we nuke'd Japan to show Russia we would, although I don't know how true that is.

But yes, we're talking nuclear first strikes. NATO wanted to leave it as an option vs a mass Soviet land invasion and the US policy is still that we can be the first to go to nukes against other nuke wielding nations.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I saw Hunt for Red October in the theater.
    Girlfriend said she would NEVER watch a "navy" movie with me again.
    This is why I mentioned in another post that your perspective and expectations might be different because you were on a sub crew in the Navy. I tend to like older types of sub related movies such as Run Silent, Run Deep. The Enemy Below. Hellcats of the Navy. Torpedo Run. Stuff like that.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You don't really believe that one man, POTUS or not, has the unchecked authority to launch US nuclear weapons, do you? That if Biden said "Nuke Iran!" today everyone should just go lock step with that order? Or should? That's literal world ending power, no one person should wield it unchecked.
    I believe the Captain of an SSBN does have such authority. He might need the concurrence of his XO but I believe he has independent launch authority because his is the most survivable leg of the triad and would likely be used for a retaliatory strike and both civil and military authority may have been decapitated

Perhaps act will weigh in on this

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Pretty much. There's always speculation that we nuke'd Japan to show Russia we would, although I don't know how true that is.

But yes, we're talking nuclear first strikes. NATO wanted to leave it as an option vs a mass Soviet land invasion and the US policy is still that we can be the first to go to nukes against other nuke wielding nations.
    I don't think we're the only one anymore. I believe the Chinese told the Japanese that they would nuke them if the so much as sent one soldier to the defense of Taiwan

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I believe the Captain of an SSBN does have such authority. He might need the concurrence of his XO but I believe he has independent launch authority because his is the most survivable leg of the triad and would likely be used for a retaliatory strike and both civil and military authority may have been decapitated

Perhaps act will weigh in on this

There are no PALs on subs. (Only the 2-man-rule)
    As far as I know. By the time I got to my sub, it had the SLBMs removed by SALT-2.
    There are codes, but for authenticating the launch order.
    This is because, in the event of the loss of command authority due to a first strike, the sub will still need to be able to launch.
    A standard PAL would prevent that.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    (Only the 2-man-rule)
    Pretty sure my ex followed that same rulebook. Maybe she was on a sub?

As for the treasonous POS... yes.... hang him.... high. I heard about trumps Ukraine phone call for more than a year, every time
    I turned on tv or YouTube. Impeachment hearings that costs millions. Then this piece of **** doesn’t get fired?!

Paying attention yet?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Either way, not one single God ****** thing wiill come of the matter.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Wouldn't this be more a State Dept sort of thing? Way above my paygrade, but I'd be curious if Li believed him and if Miley was being truthful. I mean, it's not exactly a new tactic to lie about intentions in conflicts.
    So I asked a DSS agent the above question and the answer was peer to peer level contacts are nothing out of the ordinary and while State is the coordinating agency they are not the sole agency. I'll not direct quote him, but basically State and/or POTUS can and do authorize direct contacts as both the main contact and as a supporting contact.

I'm still waiting for the actual transcripts, but in the meantime these authors are getting a butt ton of free publicity. I'm skeptical something with an official transcript is also something that was clandestine. Typically spies and sabatuers don't document their conversations, after all. I'm sure those who want to be outraged will find a reason to continue to be, but I'll remain at "mildly curious" until some actual evidence of harm is presented.

Top Bottom