• ...and so much more!
  • Lucar186

Threat to Democracy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2024
    Auburn
    So I found a bolt-action 20 gauge with full wood furniture and fixed sights (not bead sights) that belonged to my grandpa before he passed. I don’t have a picture of it and perhaps I’m blind but for the life of me I can’t find the manufacturer info on it. Does anyone know who made these and what it might be called? I took it skeet shooting and everyone looked at me like they had never heard of a bolt-action shotgun before so I’d assume there’s only a few options there.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Mossberg was the largest contributor to the bolt action market and they did make them in other names or no names. There are three basic types: single shot, box magazine and tube magazine. The best service came from the tube magazine varieties.

While they were made in many gauges, the largest and smallest are the most common as in 12ga and .410, so 20ga makes it one of the less available gauges.

Get us some picks and we will help you out or just type in "bolt action shotguns" in a search and look at the pics till something pops out...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    J.C.Higgins also produced many bolt action shotguns.
    I have a bolt action 16ga that was gifted to me by a friend.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Higgins never made any guns, they had others make them with that trade name on it, most of which were Mossberg
    Not sure about their bolt action shotguns, but Hi-Standard also made shotguns under the Sears & Roebuck, J.C. Higgins and I believe Ted Williams names. All of which were made exclusively for Sears

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Not sure about their bolt action shotguns, but Hi-Standard also made shotguns under the Sears & Roebuck, J.C. Higgins and I believe Ted Williams names. All of which were made exclusively for Sears
    That is true as well as other manufacturers such as Winchester for other arms. They even had a young upstart company make a .357 revolver for them, that company was Dan Wesson and they made the model 15 with Sears name on it.

What I was speaking of was directed toward the bolt action shotgun specifically.

I stocked those in the "back stock" of the Sears in the Altamonte Mall (Florida) which was the sight of the last public appearance of Lynyrd Skynyrd before the plane crash. Funny what things you remember...

Lucar186

Threat to Democracy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2024
    Auburn
    So I found a bolt-action 20 gauge with full wood furniture and fixed sights (not bead sights) that belonged to my grandpa before he passed. I don’t have a picture of it and perhaps I’m blind but for the life of me I can’t find the manufacturer info on it. Does anyone know who made these and what it might be called? I took it skeet shooting and everyone looked at me like they had never heard of a bolt-action shotgun before so I’d assume there’s only a few options there.
    Here are those pictures I mentioned. I’m slightly scared to take the furniture off to find out because I don’t have a screwdriver that large and they look like they haven’t come off since before I was born.

Attachments

• IMG_6162.jpeg
      IMG_6162.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 34
    • IMG_6163.jpeg
      IMG_6163.jpeg
      985.5 KB · Views: 34

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That is true as well as other manufacturers such as Winchester for other arms. They even had a young upstart company make a .357 revolver for them, that company was Dan Wesson and they made the model 15 with Sears name on it.

What I was speaking of was directed toward the bolt action shotgun specifically.

I stocked those in the "back stock" of the Sears in the Altamonte Mall (Florida) which was the sight of the last public appearance of Lynyrd Skynyrd before the plane crash. Funny what things you remember...
    I tend to remember that Western Auto, Wards, and Pennys had store banded guns.

I remember finding a Wards Western 30 once someone had turned into a good trench gun replica.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw

Mossberg Model 185D. The Model 185D was a bolt-action 20 Gauge shotgun with removable, exterior chokes. All 185D shotguns were sold with a set of three chokes (Improved Cylinder, Modified, and Full) along with a wrench to assist in loosening and tightening if need be. The chokes were also knurled on the outside for easy gripping. Speaking of easy gripping, it also featured plastic finger grooves in the semi-pistol grip walnut stock. The Model 185D was produced between 1947 and 1959.

After the 12 year run of the Mossberg Model 185D, Mossberg still had the Model 185K that was in production alongside the 185D. The most notable difference was it had a “C-Lect” choke system instead of the type that came on the 185D. The C-Lect worked similar to tightening or loosening the chuck on a drill so it was much faster and handier.

The 185K was made from 1950 to 1964 with a run of similar small changes along the way.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I tend to remember that Western Auto, Wards, and Pennys had store banded guns.

I remember finding a Wards Western 30 once someone had turned into a good trench gun replica.
    Belknap Hardware in Louisville, Kentucky sold guns under the trade name "Essex". I have a sweet little 20ga sxs of theirs made by Cresent Arms. I used to own a book that had all the crossovers listed but I gave it to my brother.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Belknap Hardware in Louisville, Kentucky sold guns under the trade name "Essex". I have a sweet little 20ga sxs of theirs made by Cresent Arms. I used to own a book that had all the crossovers listed but I gave it to my brother.
    Numrich has a cross reference for name brands to store brands, in there book anyway, not sure about on the web

Top Bottom