• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Yea, as others have mentioned i use the worksharp precision adjust.

Pro tip i havent seen mentioned. Get yourself one of those tape backed sand paper kits that ranger from 400 to 5000 grit. You can cut em to fit the stones and ill tell ya what, best edges ive ever put on knives.

-edit-
    Amazon product ASIN B07DTF9QPB
    These are only 16$ and range up to 3k grit.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yea, as others have mentioned i use the worksharp precision adjust.

Pro tip i havent seen mentioned. Get yourself one of those tape backed sand paper kits that ranger from 400 to 5000 grit. You can cut em to fit the stones and ill tell ya what, best edges ive ever put on knives.

-edit-
    Amazon product ASIN B07DTF9QPB
    These are only 16$ and range up to 3k grit.
    Interesting. Got a link to what you are talking about?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you click the image it should open amazon link. I pasted it as a link and it did that.

Sorry friend, my mistake. It's a chrome desktop browser glitch. It just shows an open space. The chome app on my phone shows your Amazon links, thanks.

I'll try not to bother folks with this again, down the road.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    When I need thing sharpened I hand them to my buddy Paul. He's puts an edge on blades that can't be matched. He sharpened an axe for me once and I'm pretty sure I could have chopped a tank in half and then shave with it.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    There's nothing wrong with using sandpaper to sharpen other than the fact that over time, the cost of replacing sandpaper could have bought a set of diamond plates.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Mosy of my knives are tools that I use to process various types of game or to prep food. I'm particular about my cutting tools becausewhen I use them, it's usually for an extended period of time. I want them to have a primary included angle that's 30 deg or less so that the cut easily. I can and did sharpen free hand for decades. I've also used several other systems over the years, and I have 1x42, and 2x72 belt grinders. I now use a Sharpmaker to maintain most of my blades, but it's REALLY slow if I'm having to profile a new blade or fix an abused one. I've fabricated mounting systems that allow me to attach cheap diamond plates to the sharpmaker. That speeds things up a lot, but it's still a slow process.

I'll be adding a KO work sharp to my tool list in the very near future. I've been looking at them for a few years now. After talking to several people who have one, I think itcwill be the right tool to do 90% of the grunt work. If needed, I'm perfectly happy to continue using my sharpmaker to produce the final edge.

Wicked Edge is an excellent tool if you are using it on a weekly basis. Otherwise, it's not cost effective IMHO. With the right stones, I can get the same results from a Lasky, or one of the knock offs. It just takes slightly longer.

airhog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Lafayette
    Mosy of my knives are tools that I use to process various types of game or to prep food. I'm particular about my cutting tools becausewhen I use them, it's usually for an extended period of time. I want them to have a primary included angle that's 30 deg or less so that the cut easily. I can and did sharpen free hand for decades. I've also used several other systems over the years, and I have 1x42, and 2x72 belt grinders. I now use a Sharpmaker to maintain most of my blades, but it's REALLY slow if I'm having to profile a new blade or fix an abused one. I've fabricated mounting systems that allow me to attach cheap diamond plates to the sharpmaker. That speeds things up a lot, but it's still a slow process.

I'll be adding a KO work sharp to my tool list in the very near future. I've been looking at them for a few years now. After talking to several people who have one, I think itcwill be the right tool to do 90% of the grunt work. If needed, I'm perfectly happy to continue using my sharpmaker to produce the final edge.

Wicked Edge is an excellent tool if you are using it on a weekly basis. Otherwise, it's not cost effective IMHO. With the right stones, I can get the same results from a Lasky, or one of the knock offs. It just takes slightly longer.

Yea, KO Work Sharp is hard to beat. For most sharpening chores, my go to solution. In about 2-4 minutes you get close to factory sharpness where experts use belt grinders at a fraction of the time.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I picked up a worksharp precision adjust sharpening system, and I think it’ll replace my onion work sharp! And as soon as I can pick up the upgrade kit, I’ll get it too! (It adds 2 more stones and a strop!)

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I had not seen the precision adjust before. I'd take that over a lansky. For me, the KO will be used to reprofile new blades, sharpening. General purpose kitchen knives, and seting the primary angle back further after several sharpenings on my good knives. These are the tasks that take a long time with a manual system. I still plan on using my sharpmaker to establish and maintain the edge on my work knives. It's too quick and easy not to ;)

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I had not seen the precision adjust before. I'd take that over a lansky. For me, the KO will be used to reprofile new blades, sharpening. General purpose kitchen knives, and seting the primary angle back further after several sharpenings on my good knives. These are the tasks that take a long time with a manual system. I still plan on using my sharpmaker to establish and maintain the edge on my work knives. It's too quick and easy not to ;)
    Just remember the worksharp ko belt system will change the profile of your blade from a v to a Appleseed, once that happens it can be harder to use a stone (or sharp maker) to sharpen your knives, but very easy to touch it up on the worksharp ko belt system

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    I've been using the $50 DMT diamond hone system from Amazon. I have the Spyderco rod system, and some Spyderco stones, but prefer this DMT system.

Amazon product ASIN B007C23UEC
    It comes with 3 diamond plates and you can purchase coarse and extra fine ones to expand the system.

Clamp and guide components work well and give very consistent results with little thought or skill required from the user.

I've sharpened everything from small knives to machetes, and it does a great job. Lightweight and portable too.

A couple of things I've learned.

Shallow angles give great sharpness, but chip easier and dull more quickly.

Steeper angles may not shave your arm, but will do most field tasks well and do it for a long time before needing to be re-honed.

Sign up for Amazon Smile - they donate to your favorite charity (no cost to you). Even better, one of the charities is Gun Owners Foundation (a division of GOA). My donations are at $50 after a year.

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Note that I tried to post the Amazon link, but apparently it did not take.

If you search Amazon for

DMTAPK-BRK

or

DMT OD2C​

You should find it

Last edited:
    Top Bottom