• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008

That's a really nice system for someone who insists on sharpening by hand. I can certainly see where the customers $300 is going. I personally don't get it though. If I'm going to spend $300 on a nice big, heavy sharpening tool, especially one that is designed to be a permanent fixture on my work bench, it needs to be mechanized so that the work gets done FASTER. I can use almost any lansky style system and my results will be just as good, and take me roughly the same amount of time. Or, I can use a cheap 1x30 belt grinder with a cheap speed control, and get that same result in a fraction of the time, still spend less than $100 AND have a very functional belt grinder to use for other purposes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That's a really nice system for someone who insists on sharpening by hand. I can certainly see where the customers $300 is going. I personally don't get it though. If I'm going to spend $300 on a nice big, heavy sharpening tool, especially one that is designed to be a permanent fixture on my work bench, it needs to be mechanized so that the work gets done FASTER. I can use almost any lansky style system and my results will be just as good, and take me roughly the same amount of time. Or, I can use a cheap 1x30 belt grinder with a cheap speed control, and get that same result in a fraction of the time, still spend less than $100 AND have a very functional belt grinder to use for other purposes.

I wondered what the cost was? My initial search turned up empty.

That seems pricy. Good for Worksharp for putting it together though.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Interesting. :dunno:

:scratch:
    The knife and Sharpener form a right triangle that looks like half of a roof. The sharpening stone forms the rafter. The knife edge is the gutter, and the pivot point is up on the ridge of the gable. As the stone pivots and runs down the knife edge, it's like following the gutter down the roof. The angle between the stone and the pivot point changes as you get farther down the blade, but it's angle relative to the cross section of the blade stays the same just like the pitch of the roof doesn't change as you get farther away from the cable.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I just quoted the $300 he said in the video. Guessing that is MSRP. No idea what street price will be.
    I have the old one without the angle gauge built in. I'm thinking it was under $100. I use a cheap magnetic angle gauge from Amazon, under $20. Nothing on the new one making me feel the need to upgrade.

For those that have the Precision Adjust. How good does the mounting clamp work on thin blades like a filet knife?
    Again, mine is the older one, but it's not great for long, thin blades, or blades you want to get the angle really low on. Stones will hit the clamp.

I sharpened my kid's small, 4" Rapala fillet knife last week. Length was no problem. I'd like to get down to around 12° on a fillet knife, but 16° was as low as I could go. And that was after I worked the clamp down a little with the 220 stone.

I really like my sharpener for pocket knives, kitchen knives, and fixed blades up to about 6". Anything over that is tricky. For longer blades a sharpener of this style really needs two clamps. Like a TSProf K03. But that's like $500. I have bench grinder set up with some cheap paper wheels that I use on bigger kitchen and fillet knives

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have the old one without the angle gauge built in. I'm thinking it was under $100. I use a cheap magnetic angle gauge from Amazon, under $20. Nothing on the new one making me feel the need to upgrade.

Again, mine is the older one, but it's not great for long, thin blades, or blades you want to get the angle really low on. Stones will hit the clamp.

I sharpened my kid's small, 4" Rapala fillet knife last week. Length was no problem. I'd like to get down to around 12° on a fillet knife, but 16° was as low as I could go. And that was after I worked the clamp down a little with the 220 stone.

I really like my sharpener for pocket knives, kitchen knives, and fixed blades up to about 6". Anything over that is tricky. For longer blades a sharpener of this style really needs two clamps. Like a TSProf K03. But that's like $500. I have bench grinder set up with some cheap paper wheels that I use on bigger kitchen and fillet knives
    Thank you. That the same issue I have with my current sharpener.

Top Bottom