• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • captcarl

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Was uploading some photos for the pic threads in long guns and thought id share this from earlier this year:
    IMG_2695k.jpg

IMG_2712k1.jpg

First hog for me. Down in GA.

We were out calling yotes at night on priv land. Two came in and one charged the decoy and we didn't get light on him till he was back to the treeline of the field. Him and another stuck around but just out of the distance of good shooting/ID light (one red LED and one 3million CP Q-Beam with red cover). Had their eyes for a good while but just never closed the distance for a ethical shot. So after they disappeared and things didn't improve we decided to trek to another stand about .5 mi away.

While crossing a huge field we heard a great ruckus to our north (our right at the time). This pig was charging straight at us from the north until veering east about 40 yards from where we stood. We think he took 4 shots before he fell, and then one through the ear from 30yds once he hit the dirt which finally put his head down.

I was shooting 55gr V-max 223, my buddy shooting V-max 22-250. Shooting even such a big target at 75-150 (the distance increasing as he continued sprinting) was difficult moving so fast esp at night working the lights too. We think he hit the dirt after taking a 22-250 to the front leg which seemed to be in bits. We think it was 4/5 shots he took before he fell. These thick skinned things close up the holes and are very hard to find!

The landowner's monetary loss to hogs increased an estimated 20+ thousand from the year before. The rutting you can see in the fields is staggering!

Thanks for reading, hope to get some more when we can!

WilsonMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Crown Point
    That's pretty cool, especially at night. A pig hunt is on my TO-DO list, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm not sure I would be happy to have one charging me in the dark, though.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Sounds like tons of fun. How did you like the penetration on the Vmax? Would you use that round for hog hunting? When I have been hunting hogs I've used Remi hog hammer and I have been happy with it. I was concerned the Vmax would expand too fast. Do you think that's why you had to shoot it multiple times or?

captcarl

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Yeah, we were out looking to get on some coyotes so vmax was the flavor based on that. if I were out looking JUST for hogs id go with different bullets or even a different caliber… for me proly my 30-30 maybe with a red dot of low power scope. These things are built like tanks! Would like to try to load some TSX loaded in 223 someday to try on a hog.

Although the V-max rapid expansion proly isn't best for big hogs, obviously it can get it done. Poor shot placement was a huge part in how many it took to go down. Being caught off guard standing and rushing shots at a sprinting hog proved pretty hard. I think a well placed shot w the 55gr vmax could have put one down no doubt!

Top Bottom