• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I can't find if Coats actually voted for it or not. I did find that Lugar voted for it. Good ridance that he's gone, but now we have a Democrat in his spot.

We will definitely have to watch how our representatives vote.

I did get an Email from Coats. Here is the meat:

DanCoats said:
    Today, President Obama released a series of executive actions and legislative ideas as part of his recently announced gun control initiative.

As we learn more details about the President’s proposals, I believe we must protect Second Amendment rights and ensure the federal government does not punish responsible gun owners. I will not support legislation or executive actions that would affect gun ownership rights for law-abiding citizens, including any assault weapons ban.

-JD-

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    I got an email from Coats today, basically states that he will fight for our 2nd amendment rights and will not allow Obama to pass a weapons ban.

Oops, same email is posted above. Didn't see it.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    You must stay on top on Coats despite what he says now. In '94 he announced in Ft. Wayne that would vote against Clinton's "assault weapons" ban and went to DC and voted for it the very next day. He's very prone to Potomac fever.

This^^^^^!!!! In reality I would have more respect for the guy if he would just stick to his convictions. He says one thing and does the complete opposite. Indiana wasn't any more pro gun in 94 than now. He knew then we were opposed to the 94 awb but yet voted for it. He knows now and it remains to be seen how he will vote. I still dont trust him.:twocents: I will never forget his 94 vote and his flat out lie to the indiana people.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Let Coats know we appreciate his about face, thank him (call, fax, email, write) and while you are at it, make sure he knows that a Magazine ban won't be tolerated either.

We CAN win the battles ahead of us, we just need stay on top of it.

Screen capture of the email:
    205825_199882126817818_1116427782_n.png

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    Here is a link to Senator Coat's statement on Obama's press conference today regarding "gun violence".

Coats Statement on President Obama

I spoke at length with Coats north east regional director about the senator's stance, prior to Obama's statement. It sounds like he gets it, and he is directing his staff to fight it all, tooth and nail.

and from Senator Donnelly::dunno:

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    You must stay on top on Coats despite what he says now. In '94 he announced in Ft. Wayne that would vote against Clinton's "assault weapons" ban and went to DC and voted for it the very next day. He's very prone to Potomac fever.

I'd love to send hi some rep from here if it was possible but I'll email instead. I just hope he learned his lesson from 94 and will stand firm! Time will tell.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Let Coats know we appreciate his about face, thank him (call, fax, email, write) and while you are at it, make sure he knows that a Magazine ban won't be tolerated either.

Good idea. Here's what I just sent to him.

Greetings Senator Coats,

Today I was very happy to read your:

"Coats Notes: Response to President Obama's Gun Control Proposals".

I applaud your ardent position on protecting our 2nd Amendment rights. I also read this position to apply to other gun ownership infringements being bandied about today such as "high capacity" magazine size limitations, limits on ammunition purchases, background checks on ammunition, etc.

In closing, I encourage you to maintain this position as I'm sure the pressure by the president, the media, gun-ban supporters, and your peers to enact "sensible measures" will be immense. As long as you maintain this position, I believe I can speak for other Hoosier gun owners when I say you'll have our support.

Best Regards,
    GFGT

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I thanked him by email as well! It is important that we remain vigilant, and he knows it. But we must support him as long as he remains true to his word.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I just got done sending Senator Coats a note replying to the email notice I was sent. I thanked him and said how much we all appreciated someone willing to not stand idly by while the citizens in his charge were forced to become unwilling victims.

We will indeed have to keep a wary eye out, but this was a refreshing bit of good news!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    No doubt, the man messed up badly in 1994. That was 19 years ago. Who among us can say s/he hasn't changed in the last nearly 20 years? Mr. Coats was soundly drubbed out of the Congress; many of us argued vociferously against allowing his return, but while I don't think we should forgive or forget his past votes, I do think that he should have the opportunity to redeem himself if he admits his error and wishes to make things right.

I also am not opposed to the idea of the age-old fate that awaited those who could not be trusted to keep their word in office: a bucket or two of tar and a couple of feather pillows prior to a ride out of town on a rail handcart. Note that I said the idea. Putting this into practice literally would be a battery and I do not support nor suggest anyone break laws.

I do, however, think that legislators and other public officials should be subject to recall.

For some of them, the latter would be the greater punishment.

Blessings,
    Bill

jefalatho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Every single time I see someone mention culture and gun violence, I can't help but think of this...

http://youtu.be/hR3t7j2tUec

Heard a similar message many times but it seems that people don't get it. There are things that should be done to help people with mental (and anger) issues but the media needs to stop turning psychos into celebs.
    I don't know who this fella is but I like this video a lot.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    No doubt, the man messed up badly in 1994. That was 19 years ago. Who among us can say s/he hasn't changed in the last nearly 20 years? Mr. Coats was soundly drubbed out of the Congress; many of us argued vociferously against allowing his return, but while I don't think we should forgive or forget his past votes, I do think that he should have the opportunity to redeem himself if he admits his error and wishes to make things right.

I also am not opposed to the idea of the age-old fate that awaited those who could not be trusted to keep their word in office: a bucket or two of tar and a couple of feather pillows prior to a ride out of town on a rail handcart. Note that I said the idea. Putting this into practice literally would be a battery and I do not support nor suggest anyone break laws.

I do, however, think that legislators and other public officials should be subject to recall.

For some of them, the latter would be the greater punishment.

Blessings,
    Bill

I leave forgiveness to the God whom he worships.
    As for myself, I neither forgive nor forget.

Still waiting on a response to my pared-down letter.

He threw us to the wolves once. I do not trust him not to do the same now or in future.

But I am willing to see whether he changes his mind.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I emailed Coats about the duty of congress to impeachment of an out of control executive who thinks he can get around the checks and balances of the legislative and Judicial branches.

Top Bottom