Sen. Coats will not vote to defund ObamaCare at next CR...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    ...but claims to be aiming to introduce legislation to delay it until 2015.

Dear GFGT:

Thank you for contacting me regarding implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) signed into law by President Obama on March 23, 2010. I appreciate the opportunity to respond, and to explain my support for a delay of the law.

Since its inception, the President's health care law has remained consistent in one regard: an alarming pattern of delays, glitches, and overturned provisions. According to the Congressional Research Service, as of May 31, 2013, the administration has only met 40 out of the 82 deadlines legally required by law. On July 2, 2013, the President and his Administration delayed another key component – the employer mandate – until 2015, while maintaining implementation of the individual mandate on January 1, 2014. Although many businesses received relief from this delay, I believe all Americans deserve the same treatment.

As the full impacts of the health care law have come into focus, I believe Congress should repeal this law and replace it with reforms that lower costs, increase access to care and empower patients, not bureaucrats. Since returning to the Senate, I have voted more than two dozen times to repeal, defund and strip provisions from the health care law. I will continue to support these efforts and I want the end result to be relief for all Hoosiers, which is why I have concerns with tactics that seek to shut down the federal government.

Congress refusing to pass legislation to keep the government funded will not stop this law from going into effect. The majority of the law is considered "mandatory spending" and operates outside of the annual appropriations process. As a result, the health care law would still be implemented under a government shutdown, and the taxes established to fund the law would still be collected.

Additionally, I am concerned about the impact a government shutdown would have on Indiana and our nation's economy. A federal government shutdown would delay pay for active duty military, furlough thousands of federal employees in Indiana, and possibly delay Social Security checks for 1.2 million Hoosiers receiving these benefits.

After considering these facts, I believe a full delay of the law is a better strategy. To that end, I plan to introduce legislation that would delay implementation of the law until January 1, 2015. As individuals, families and businesses are learning more about these disastrous impacts, they deserve the chance to speak through the electoral process and decide whether they want to select leaders that will fully repeal and replace the health care law with more effective, consumer-driven solutions, or who prefer to continue implementation of this harmful law.

Thank you again for contacting me, and please do not hesitate to keep in touch on matters of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Dan Coats
    United States Senator

I am also interested to see what this part entails:

As the full impacts of the health care law have come into focus, I believe Congress should repeal this law and replace it with reforms that lower costs, increase access to care and empower patients, not bureaucrats.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Dan should learn that his constituents are about to send him the way of Richard. His rhetoric about how he knows better really yanks me the wrong way.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    ...but claims to be aiming to introduce legislation to delay it until 2015.

After considering these facts, I believe a full delay of the law is a better strategy. To that end, I plan to introduce legislation that would delay implementation of the law until January 1, 2015. As individuals, families and businesses are learning more about these disastrous impacts, they deserve the chance to speak through the electoral process and decide whether they want to select leaders that will fully repeal and replace the health care law with more effective, consumer-driven solutions, or who prefer to continue implementation of this harmful law.

Would that mean Senator Coats, for your Constituancy to have a chance to replace you with a candidate that actually has a spine and will do what the voters send them to Congress to do?

I wonder.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    IMO he has a point. If the GOP shuts down the govt, the Dems will demonize them. How many recall the Gingrich vs Clinton standoff? If Obamacare is truly mandatory spending, defunding the govt apparently will not stop it. It won't be gone until we get a veto proof Congress, or a GOP POTUS that will sign a bill to repeal this abomination. Is Coats perfect? I don't know, but I agree with him more than I disagree with him. It could be a lot worse folks (see: Durbin, Feinstein, Boxer, etc)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Dan should learn that his constituents are about to send him the way of Richard. His rhetoric about how he knows better really yanks me the wrong way.

I wouldn't want Coats to go EXACTLY the way of Richard. Don't get me wrong, I was glad to see Lugar go. But wouldn't want Coats replaced by another union hack like Joe.

IMO he has a point. If the GOP shuts down the govt, the Dems will demonize them. How many recall the Gingrich vs Clinton standoff? If Obamacare is truly mandatory spending, defunding the govt apparently will not stop it. It won't be gone until we get a veto proof Congress, or a GOP POTUS that will sign a bill to repeal this abomination. Is Coats perfect? I don't know, but I agree with him more than I disagree with him. It could be a lot worse folks (see: Durbin, Feinstein, Boxer, etc)

Overall, Coats is on the line, occasionally stepping over, as far as I'm concerned. I kind of feel the same way about my House Rep Todd Young. So far both have kept inside the line just enough to keep my vote, but sometimes I get a little annoyed with them.

I would like to see Obamacare gone, but I'm not sure defunding could work. So I'm not going to fault him too much on that.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

I believe this is correct. We can't repeal as long as Obama is POTUS. The masses will freak and blame the GOP if the gubmint gets shut down just like they did last time. THe MSM will tell them constantly that it is all the Republicans fault and that the sky is falling.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I still haven't forgiven Coats for 1994. I think if he keeps up his "Lugar Lite" act I'll maintain that policy.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Are the States not able to pass a mandate that excuses their citizens from this thing? How is this much different from the Fed viewing Marijuana as illegal but states can legalize it?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish

This. His point is that voting to defund it won't work because of the way they have set it up. He recommends a different strategy to attack it. I don't see this as spineless, I see it as recognizing the problem and going after it in a meaningful way not just beating the chest as some are doing.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This. His point is that voting to defund it won't work because of the way they have set it up. He recommends a different strategy to attack it. I don't see this as spineless, I see it as recognizing the problem and going after it in a meaningful way not just beating the chest as some are doing.

THIS.

I see this game of playing with defunding/increasing deficit limit as the GOP pulling the pin on a hand grenade and saying, "give me what I want or we all blow up". That tactic makes Congress look totally dysfunctional and incompetent. (which they sort of are)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    THIS.

I see this game of playing with defunding/increasing deficit limit as the GOP pulling the pin on a hand grenade and saying, "give me what I want or we all blow up". That tactic makes Congress look totally dysfunctional and incompetent. (which they sort of are)

Or that's the way it was designed to be. Gridlock is good. It means our representatives are doing what they were sent there for, sticking to their guns so to speak.
    It's the whining Dem's and Administration's story trumpeted by the news media that things are supposed to be different.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sent Mr Coats another short message:

Is Mr Coats going the direction of Ted Cruz (our next president) or John McCain (the proven looser?)

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    True. EVERY poll out there shows the majority of all Americans DONT' WANT OBAMACARE! So what's to lose. Just send Harry Reid Bill, after Bill,after Bill,after Bill,after Bill,after Bill,after Bill,after Bill, that fund 100% of the Gov't EXCEPT ObummerCare. And as they keep turning it back THEY are the ones that come across looking like they are the ones defunding ObummerCare. And I think they are afraid of ending up taking the blame because they have been for too vocal about the Repubs. being the obstructors. If they truly were convinced that the Republicans would take the blame, let them. Then they would be rid of them for the next several years and could do whatever they want. But, Me thinks thou dost protest too much. I think that with as many people so strongly opposed to ObaummerCare and as much stuff that has and keeps coming out about the coming train wreck just getting bigger, the Dems are afraid of taking the blame.

Vote to defund and keep sending bills that fund everything BUT ObamaCare. GROW A SPINE AND DO WHAT YOUR CONSTITUENTS SENT YOU TO CONGRESS TO DO. Or you end up looking like that scared puppy McCain.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    As much as it pains me to say it we are better off with Coats right now since he is still towing the line a bit from his ouster the last time. We got burned by Joe getting in there and that needs to be our real focus here and getting a true conservative in there to replace him and not a RINO.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    True. EVERY poll out there shows the majority of all Americans DONT' WANT OBAMACARE! So what's to lose. Just send Harry Reid Bill, after Bill,after Bill,after Bill,after Bill,after Bill,after Bill,after Bill, that fund 100% of the Gov't EXCEPT ObummerCare. And as they keep turning it back THEY are the ones that come across looking like they are the ones defunding ObummerCare. And I think they are afraid of ending up taking the blame because they have been for too vocal about the Repubs. being the obstructors. If they truly were convinced that the Republicans would take the blame, let them. Then they would be rid of them for the next several years and could do whatever they want. But, Me thinks thou dost protest too much. I think that with as many people so strongly opposed to ObaummerCare and as much stuff that has and keeps coming out about the coming train wreck just getting bigger, the Dems are afraid of taking the blame.

Vote to defund and keep sending bills that fund everything BUT ObamaCare. GROW A SPINE AND DO WHAT YOUR CONSTITUENTS SENT YOU TO CONGRESS TO DO. Or you end up looking like that scared puppy McCain.

Look at the numbers behind those polls. A fair portion of those dislikes are from lefties who wanted single payer. If you delineated the reasons for disliking into a pie, I'm not sure we'd have a majority that want an actual repeal. But I think that will change if the law is fully implemented. When all those young people's jaws drop after getting the bill, I think obamacare will become anathema to every working person who actually has to pay for it.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I think that once Barrycare is fully implemented, it will be with us forever no matter how bad it is or who it hurts. Our spineless, gutless elected repukelican officials will just sit back and give us all kinds of excuses why nothing can be done and how they will have to work to make a few parts of it a little more bearable while the friends and supporters of Barry O'Bummer will have been exempted from the requirements of this crappy law and America gets turned into a 30hour/week part-time work force. I do not know how true the stories are, but I am already hearing of higher premiums for less coverage or coverages for things like birth control and abortions that mose of us do not want to pay for, doctors retiring and not being replaced by others qualified but by foreign trained doctors, doctors not going to take Barrycare patients, doctors moving their practices out of the country and becoming cash only operations and doctors who will be rewarded for not giving us the quality of treatment that we have been used to up till now since there will be millions more patients trying to see a smaller number of health care providers. It is very likely going to be one big disaster.

I heard dear old Ron Paul asking Barry if O'Bummercare is good enough for the people of this country, why is he not signing up himself and his family for the same coverages that he is trying to force upon most of us. That sounded pretty good until I thought to myself that Mr. Paul did not say that if this plan was going to be the law of the land, he would himself sign up and have he and his family and his staff all go under the same plan. I have been saying for a long time that as long as these self-promoting scumbags do not have any skin in the game so that they will feel the same pain and discomfort as they are thrusting upon the rest of us, their laws will always really suck. All the democraps are doing is sitting around trying to figure out new ways to tax us that are still fortunate enough to still be working so that they can pay for O'Bummercare and the government services that all of the new illegals will be requiring so that they will get another 30 million democreepic voters that will forever change our country to suit the invaders instead of having the legal aliens be assimilated into our society. Just my two cents. We will just wait and see what actually happens. I hope that I am way off base in my observations and predictions.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think that once Barrycare is fully implemented, it will be with us forever no matter how bad it is or who it hurts. Our spineless, gutless elected repukelican officials will just sit back and give us all kinds of excuses why nothing can be done and how they will have to work to make a few parts of it a little more bearable while the friends and supporters of Barry O'Bummer will have been exempted from the requirements of this crappy law and America gets turned into a 30hour/week part-time work force. I do not know how true the stories are, but I am already hearing of higher premiums for less coverage or coverages for things like birth control and abortions that mose of us do not want to pay for, doctors retiring and not being replaced by others qualified but by foreign trained doctors, doctors not going to take Barrycare patients, doctors moving their practices out of the country and becoming cash only operations and doctors who will be rewarded for not giving us the quality of treatment that we have been used to up till now since there will be millions more patients trying to see a smaller number of health care providers. It is very likely going to be one big disaster.

I heard dear old Ron Paul asking Barry if O'Bummercare is good enough for the people of this country, why is he not signing up himself and his family for the same coverages that he is trying to force upon most of us. That sounded pretty good until I thought to myself that Mr. Paul did not say that if this plan was going to be the law of the land, he would himself sign up and have he and his family and his staff all go under the same plan. I have been saying for a long time that as long as these self-promoting scumbags do not have any skin in the game so that they will feel the same pain and discomfort as they are thrusting upon the rest of us, their laws will always really suck. All the democraps are doing is sitting around trying to figure out new ways to tax us that are still fortunate enough to still be working so that they can pay for O'Bummercare and the government services that all of the new illegals will be requiring so that they will get another 30 million democreepic voters that will forever change our country to suit the invaders instead of having the legal aliens be assimilated into our society. Just my two cents. We will just wait and see what actually happens. I hope that I am way off base in my observations and predictions.

I think I totally agree with this, if I could get by all that silly name calling. :rolleyes:

If we let them implement the health care law we likely never get totally backed away from it no matter how bad it is.

Top Bottom