• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've been purging some olde stored stuff and I came across some of my Magic cards. I haven't played in about 20 years and some of them seem to be quite valuable.

I am wondering if any on here have sold any and where to go to get the best price? I know if I sell to a store I'll be lucky to normally get half value as they need to make a profit. This is fair but I'd prefer to keep most of the revenue for me.

If you've sold or are familiar with the market please share any insights. It's been many years and my familiarity is out of date.

For the record I do have several of the original black bordered cards but nothing too extreme. I sold my three (3) Black Lotus's years ago much to my horror after seeing the values today.

Regards,

Doug

• Wow
    Reactions: KG1

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Nerd!!!!!!

Also yea I used to play 20 years ago....

20.... years....

Jesus time is a son of a bitch.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Nerd!!!!!!

Also yea I used to play 20 years ago....

20.... years....

Jesus time is a son of a bitch.

If you still have any of the cards - LOOK!

Some of them are going for absolutely insane amounts of money. Seriously!

I bought three (3) black lotus's for $6 each. Sold them a year later for $150, $150, and $180. Nuts, right?

Today I have seen the price on the original prints in good condition ranging from $5,000 - $549,000, with the average being around $9,000 - $35,000.

Good luck!

Regards,

Doug

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I've been purging some olde stored stuff and I came across some of my Magic cards. I haven't played in about 20 years and some of them seem to be quite valuable.

I am wondering if any on here have sold any and where to go to get the best price? I know if I sell to a store I'll be lucky to normally get half value as they need to make a profit. This is fair but I'd prefer to keep most of the revenue for me.

If you've sold or are familiar with the market please share any insights. It's been many years and my familiarity is out of date.

For the record I do have several of the original black bordered cards but nothing too extreme. I sold my three (3) Black Lotus's years ago much to my horror after seeing the values today.

Regards,

Doug
    If you have marked poker cards, I may be even slightly more interested.

Just kidding.

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    If you're looking to just check and see if a particular card has value (maybe you have a limited number of very old cards or ones that you've heard might be valuable) checking it on ebay can be a great quick look. The price may not be what you could get on a marketplace more focused on cards, but at least you'll know if you've got a bunch of duds or a couple that could be worth looking closer into.

Overall - PLEASE do check your card values, and if you choose to keep rather than sell store them with the price prominentally attached without damaging the card(s). My local card/coin/collectables shop has stories about some of his valuable acquisitions that just make me shake my head.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you're looking to just check and see if a particular card has value (maybe you have a limited number of very old cards or ones that you've heard might be valuable) checking it on ebay can be a great quick look. The price may not be what you could get on a marketplace more focused on cards, but at least you'll know if you've got a bunch of duds or a couple that could be worth looking closer into.

Overall - PLEASE do check your card values, and if you choose to keep rather than sell store them with the price prominentally attached without damaging the card(s). My local card/coin/collectables shop has stories about some of his valuable acquisitions that just make me shake my head.

I will look on Ebay and others, thanks! My only problem w/ Ebay is that auctions are finnicky. I know, I buy stuff at auctions. Sometimes something goes really cheap and other times several people get in a p*****g contest and push the cost sky high.

That said, w/ Ebay and others I should at least see what they are going for. My big problem is going to be determining whether or not I have an Alpha card or a Beta card.

I found an olde Sol Ring with the black border. IF it has a 2mm curve on the edges it may be worth upwards of $2k. If it has the 1mm curve it is worth about $500 - $1k. Some of these cards are "worth" a ridiculous amount.

Regards,

Doug

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    The main use for eBay in my experience is that it can help you whittle the pile of cards down to a manageable number for deeper research, which it sounds like you've already been doing.

Only other advice I can give is that there can be a serious premium added to the card's value if you have it professionally graded by a reputable company such as PSA and score highly. You may see examples of these on eBay or elsewhere, they typically come in plastic "slabs" that protect the card and display the grading rating. If you do mail it off for grading and you have a card like the Sol Ring that's worth more than a few hundred bucks you may wish to have the shipping fully insured or to send it with a more expensive courier than the USPS - PSA at least has had issues with cards being stolen from the post office located near the offices since so many rare/expensive items were flowing through there.

Top Bottom