• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    178   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Quick question for you respectable LEO's & anyone else that is an authority.

Is it lawful to pull someone over SOLELY for the reason of not wearing a seat belt?

I realize it is the law, it is my personal belief it is a bad law & has no place in the USA.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Yup , it is legal, it's low IMO, but legal. When the seatbelt law passed years ago, they said no one would ever be able to be stopped just for that reason. Then they changed their minds and realized all the cash the state was missing out on. Pluck the cash from our people,.......so we can spend more

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Yes you can pull someone over solely for not wearying a seatbelt, to include if their passenger is the one not buckled up. Everyone has their own opinions on it, so I won't get into that, but the short answer is yes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seat belt check points. Have not seen one in a good while but were common for the longest time. Son was pulled over in one and had his belt on. He was driving the wife's Z-28 and when the LEO asked for the registration he found it was not signed. Darling wife put it in the glove box with out signature. Lotto for LEO....$125.00 ticket for a non moving violation.
    Now, convince me this is not totally motivated by revenue. Please, give it your best shot.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Seat belt check points. Have not seen one in a good while but were common for the longest time. Son was pulled over in one and had his belt on. He was driving the wife's Z-28 and when the LEO asked for the registration he found it was not signed. Darling wife put it in the glove box with out signature. Lotto for LEO....$125.00 ticket for a non moving violation.
    Now, convince me this is not totally motivated by revenue. Please, give it your best shot.

Nope, I would have to lie to do so.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I personally would no more drive without fastening my seat belt, than I would fly a tactical mission without doing so, but I'd like to see us start repealing these "nanny laws" while at the same time repealing ALL the laws that allow manufacturers to be sued for stupidity on the part of end users. I'd also like to see those who don't wear personal protective equipment or don't wear it properly be banned from seeking compensation for injuries suffered when they should have been wearing it.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    The only reasonable argument I have ever heard for the seat belt law was that it would help keep insurance rates lower for everyone. Now I'm not sure I necessarily thing that is true, but even if it were, simply allowing insurance companies to include seat belt clauses in their policies would easily accomplish the same thing.

The government should not be able to force me to wear a seat belt, plain & simple.

*Full disclosure: I would wear my seat belt in either case.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    First it was seatbelts, but I didn't say anything because I already wore mine.
    Then it was smoking, but I didn't say anything because I don't smoke.
    THEN it was something I cared about......

It is not the .gov's responsibility to save me from myself. Unfortunately, too many other folks are incapable of saving themselves, so have passed that authority to the .gov, and here we are....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I personally would no more drive without fastening my seat belt, than I would fly a tactical mission without doing so, but I'd like to see us start repealing these "nanny laws" while at the same time repealing ALL the laws that allow manufacturers to be sued for stupidity on the part of end users. I'd also like to see those who don't wear personal protective equipment or don't wear it properly be banned from seeking compensation for injuries suffered when they should have been wearing it.

Agreed. I have always worn a lap/seat belt since they were installed in cars. it helps hold me in place behind the wheel and has also kept me alive in crisis situations. I do not like it when a law is passed in the name of safety and used as a revenue stream.
    I have mixed emotions about sobriety check points as they too are used in this way. Removing drunks from the public roads is in fact a positive thing but the way it is done....well, mixed emotions.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Checkpoints were outlawed when they updated the seatbelt law to include trucks a few years ago. I get a 15% commission for every ticket I write.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Checkpoints were outlawed when they updated the seatbelt law to include trucks a few years ago. I get a 15% commission for every ticket I write.

Easy trigger, its not you that sets the policy's. I do not wish for this to go nutso anti LEO. That was not my intention. We all do as we are told to maintain our jobs.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Want to keep insurance rates down? Mandatory condoms for unemployed adults....Outlaw soft drinks....Bacon banned, speed regulators on all automobiles,Atvs are dangerous,Xbox systems are promoting inactivity...Please O Great Big Brother,protect me from myself!

Top Bottom