• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    Hey everyone. I just bought myself a Ruger 77/22 all weather, with the long heavy barrel. I plan on this gun being a paper puncher, so i need to select a good scope. I have done some looking around, and i cant decide what i want to do. I would really like to stay in the range of below $200. And i i really want something in the 4x16 range. If the quality of scope for the price was really good, i would consider doing 4x12. any advice?

Thanks in advance!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I purchased the Vortex Crossfire 2 and mounted it on my LR-308. I haven't broken the barrel in completely yet. The barrel break in specifies shooting 25 rounds - cleaning after every shot. Then cleaning after every 10 shot until a total of 100 rounds. Finished the first 25 rounds yesterday. I have kind of zeroed the scope, obviously can't do it properly until I send groups down range. But so far I really like the scope, it is clear, carrying it in a heated area, back out to 20 deg. worked great. Like the cross-hairs (deadhold BDC type) and adjustment features. I have used Bushnell, Leopold, and other moderate priced scopes. Think the Vortex compares very well to a scope priced much higher. It still remains pretty sharp even at 18X. Mine is a 6 X 18 X 44, will probably buy more Vortex scopes when refitting some other rifles.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I have found that for the most part every scope I've had bought for @ $200 and under were the same quality of scope - 4-5 is where qualities start improving - mounts are a key factor - get good mounts and a $40 scope will work for paper punchn - i have the same above mentioned BSA Sweet 3-9x40 on a 10/22 and it works great - paid $60 for it at Dicks - its setting on a set of Burris Extreme rings and haven't had any issues with it keeping zeroed - Vortex does make quality merch - my daughter has a 3-9x40 Vortex on her Marlin bolt 22lr and hasnt had any issues - hers is stting on Blackhawk 6ms rings - theres @ $70 diference in cost between the BSA and the Vortex and i cant tell any difference in preformance -for 300 bet you could find a descent Leupold 3-9 on eBay - Just make sure your rings are good and they stay tight to gun and i bet any scope between $100 & $200 would work - jmho

Last edited:

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Leupold VX2 EFR 3-9x40 gets my vote for a wonderful all-rounder. If you are looking for a bench type high power scope the Mueller 8-32 Target or Weaver T series fixed power is great for the money and if money is no concern the Leupold fixed power target scopes would go on mine.

Edit: none of the above are under $200 but the Nikon Prostaff EFR 3-9 with adjustable objective is and what I have on mine.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Lots of great scopes out there. I just bought a Nikon "Prostaff" 3-9 X 40. I am pretty pleased with it. It was about $190. Noticably better than the Bushnell that came with the rifle.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Im at shot show so ill keep this very breif. The idea that all scopes under 200 dollars are the same quality is absolutly crazy. 1 instance would be

BSA Warranty
    Sport and Recreational Optics and Rifle Scopes | BSA Optics

Vortex warranty
    Vortex Optics - VIP Warranty

Wich one appears to be the least hassle to you?

Another diffrence is somthing callled tracking. Everyone takes for granted that a scope tracks. But in real life Less than 1/2 of the scopes on the market are made with enough precision to track.

Depending on the ranges you intend to shoot I have 2 options for you.

Price is 189
    Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 4-12x40 AO Dead-Hold BDC

Price is 169
    Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 4-12x44 Dead-Hold BDC

Fell free to shoot me a email at alan@aaoptics.com, or a pm here on INGO if you have more questions. Typically I always respond within 8 hours, but for the next few days It may take me a little longer.

Top Bottom