• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    To double down on that point, California has more republicans than any other state. The problem is they also have more democrats than any other state.

I see anecdotal rumblings here there of more conservatives finally having enough and getting out. The down side is I hear similar rumblings about all of the tech workers moving out too if work-from-home lasts forever. Getting paid SF wages but have North Dakota expenses? Yes. Hell yes. But... They'll take their politics with them and destroy that too.
    Hmmm... IDK about that. There are a lot of these folks who would go absolutely stir-crazy if they can't walk down the street to their neighborhood coffee shop in their sandals. The weather and lack of like-minded amenities may put some limits on the liberati.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Hmmm... IDK about that. There are a lot of these folks who would go absolutely stir-crazy if they can't walk down the street to their neighborhood coffee shop in their sandals. The weather and lack of like-minded amenities may put some limits on the liberati.

Weather won't hamper them much as they already exist in harsh northern climates. Minneapolis is north of Toronto... can't decide if it's appropriate that it's also geographically to the left. :laugh:

They will build their own communist neighborhoods out of empty dirt cheap land where ever they want. It's not like they won't havethe money to burn. As I understand it, this is basically what they did to Austin and several pockets in Colorado and Arizona. In the big cities they call it gentrification, but in rural America I have no idea what they'll call it except "ruining our communities".

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Weather won't hamper them much as they already exist in harsh northern climates. Minneapolis is north of Toronto... can't decide if it's appropriate that it's also geographically to the left. :laugh:

They will build their own communist neighborhoods out of empty dirt cheap land where ever they want. It's not like they won't havethe money to burn. As I understand it, this is basically what they did to Austin and several pockets in Colorado and Arizona. In the big cities they call it gentrification, but in rural America I have no idea what they'll call it except "ruining our communities".
    They won't move to rural communities. They'll dominate the large cities and swing the State blue. And then legislate all the liberties away.

Rural/small-town life is entirely foreign to their tastes, no amenities or diversity (they say) and intolerant (they say), but they'll always be able to stomach a large city which they then remake. It also doesn't hurt that they get a nice bankroll from cashing out their home in a pricey area and can score a really much nicer house in some red State. If they had to move from a hovel to a hovel, even with lower taxes, it might not be quite so attractive.

Also in the long run pay for those not living in the high-tax zone but working remote will certainly fall. Eventually the tech workers will get the same treatment the rest of the country is getting.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    They won't move to rural communities. They'll dominate the large cities and swing the State blue. And then legislate all the liberties away.

Rural/small-town life is entirely foreign to their tastes, no amenities or diversity (they say) and intolerant (they say), but they'll always be able to stomach a large city which they then remake. It also doesn't hurt that they get a nice bankroll from cashing out their home in a pricey area and can score a really much nicer house in some red State. If they had to move from a hovel to a hovel, even with lower taxes, it might not be quite so attractive.

Also in the long run pay for those not living in the high-tax zone but working remote will certainly fall. Eventually the tech workers will get the same treatment the rest of the country is getting.

When I said rural, I meant by SF standards, so... probably Chicago would count.

I'll stand on my point that they'll just build their own amenities no matter where they land. Some will want the palacial mansion on 20 acres that you pretty much only get out in the actual sticks while others will want the urban vibe. If I'm honest, the only thing separating most of actual rural American towns from urban neighborhoods is a lot more concrete and a lot less plants. Small houses, close together, 1 car driveway, maybe a 1 car garage. Pretty much all looks the same to me.

I agree with your final point for sure. They'll get the bone in the end. Eventually all of those H1Bs are going to get outsourced to China and then we'll all have a good laugh together instead of just them laughing at us.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    It is currently in the works for the jsx1043 household! Hopefully we can get out before the market takes another dive...
    The markets, it's plumb surreal aint it? Hopefully the fed continues to pump up the markets...
    Eh, I guess that's the right thing to hope for!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    When I said rural, I meant by SF standards, so... probably Chicago would count.

I'll stand on my point that they'll just build their own amenities no matter where they land. Some will want the palacial mansion on 20 acres that you pretty much only get out in the actual sticks while others will want the urban vibe. If I'm honest, the only thing separating most of actual rural American towns from urban neighborhoods is a lot more concrete and a lot less plants. Small houses, close together, 1 car driveway, maybe a 1 car garage. Pretty much all looks the same to me.

I agree with your final point for sure. They'll get the bone in the end. Eventually all of those H1Bs are going to get outsourced to China and then we'll all have a good laugh together instead of just them laughing at us.
    At one point I was in a FB group called "Into the Unknown", NYC residents leaving the Big ****ple for various reasons. In every post, it was obvious they were really looking to exactly replicate the conditions they were leaving behind, leaving the question unasked, why they were leaving heaven on Earth. It apparently did not occur to them that they were simply going to bring about the same processes wherever they went to. Also their contempt for persons not sharing their 'values' was palpable and completely unremarked by them.
    Fortunately most of them were moving to Long Island, upstate NY or Connecticut (not realizing they weren't really making a change in their situation). I doubt whether any of them were moving to Indiana, even Indy. We're still perceived as the Land of the Tall Corn and KKK Klaverns by the sophisticati.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    At one point I was in a FB group called "Into the Unknown", NYC residents leaving the Big ****ple for various reasons. In every post, it was obvious they were really looking to exactly replicate the conditions they were leaving behind, leaving the question unasked, why they were leaving heaven on Earth. It apparently did not occur to them that they were simply going to bring about the same processes wherever they went to. Also their contempt for persons not sharing their 'values' was palpable and completely unremarked by them.
    Fortunately most of them were moving to Long Island, upstate NY or Connecticut (not realizing they weren't really making a change in their situation). I doubt whether any of them were moving to Indiana, even Indy. We're still perceived as the Land of the Tall Corn and KKK Klaverns by the sophisticati.

I used to participate a bit on a large national forum and people would always ask about moving to X or Y places and it was always very clear they didn't actually want to live in those places whenever they were coming from a hard blue area. Reasons for the shift were varied, but it all almost always boiled down to money. There were local forums that I would bounce into occasionally and some of the people were just outright insane. One person that comes to mind was basically every emotional and gender disorder you can imagine, plus some sort of disability, and wanting to know if small town Indiana was a good fit for them... Uh... Geography may not be the problem!

Another person was someone who was just about demanding that Indy needed to be Portland. It wasn't that they weren't interested in moving there... It was that it needed to be faaaar more left. I don't even know how you equate those two things and come up with a plan that makes any sense for anyone. "Moving there anyhow... gonna hope it all bends to my will". OK then...

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Just thinking out loud but it sounds like it's time to get out.
    I have three friends who are 55+ well off financially who moved downtown within the past 10 years.

All are looking to GTFO but who do they sell to? Not a ton of demand for high end condo with people sh!tting at your doorstep overnight and shooting up heroine across the street.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I was FB friends with a former co-worker who hails for the San Diego area. He and his wife moved here, to a smallish town in North Central Indiana. NIce people if you could avoid their politics and absolute intolerance for people with a different political viewpoint. Everyone to the Right of their position was absolutely evil. Occasionally he'd wail about how he just couldn't stand it here.

A couple of times I asked him politely why, if he had such complete and utter disdain for the community and the State and most of the people in it, they didn't move back to lala land. He'd come back with a comment along the lines of his career and work. But his sanity really seemed stretched by his Coastal Elite attitude. Eventually he blocked me this summer or Fall. I guess he can pull into his cocoon or shell and live until he retires and then try to recreate his lifestyle in San Diego on his retirement income.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I worked downtown paving this summer. Man it has gone down the drain for sure. Working around union station, I carried everyday I went down there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have three friends who are 55+ well off financially who moved downtown within the past 10 years.

All are looking to GTFO but who do they sell to? Not a ton of demand for high end condo with people sh!tting at your doorstep overnight and shooting up heroine across the street.
    This is why I would "NEVER" move downtown. This activity has been going on for as long as I can remember. Every alley and any other place they can gather and hide. Now with the relaxed LEO presence thanks to our twice elected POS Hogbreath they are no longer in fear. But they have always been there.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I doubt whether any of them were moving to Indiana, even Indy. We're still perceived as the Land of the Tall Corn and KKK Klaverns by the sophisticati.
    My Father in-law was originally from Manhattan. He left in the early 60s when he went in the USAF, never returned. In the late 60s when he settled in Louisville his sisters started including current events in letters. He had to tell them, they get the news in Louisville!

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    Lots of chicago plates on the south side

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Just thinking out loud but it sounds like it's time to get out.
    But I JUST got here!

i moved here from Massachusetts though, so basically anywhere would seem like paradise comparatively.

but in all seriousness...basically anywhere outside the 465 seems pretty damn country (and nice) to me...am I wrong?

if it gets out of control, just circle the wagons around the city and don’t let anybody in or out until the problem solves itself. Should only take a couple of days to purge Indy given the amount of crime I hear about on the radio...hell, I might even be able to take care of it if I had enough ammo (donations welcome).

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Where can you go ?
    In all actuality, the market is pretty good right now if you have a little flexibility. It’s definitely a seller’s market if your house is ready to move, especially on the south side where the Chin population is rapidly expanding.

Purchasing houses is a little tougher, as the market is moving so fast that houses are being listed in the morning with accepted offers by lunchtime and closing the same week on move-in ready and investor/rehab properties.

As for me personally, I’m trying to decide what the next step is. 60 undeveloped acres in Wyoming? Small town Arizona/Tennessee/someplace warm(er)? If we stay in Indiana, it will definitely be outside of Napghanistan and most likely on the outer half of whatever donut county we end up in.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    In all actuality, the market is pretty good right now if you have a little flexibility. It’s definitely a seller’s market if your house is ready to move, especially on the south side where the Chin population is rapidly expanding.

Purchasing houses is a little tougher, as the market is moving so fast that houses are being listed in the morning with accepted offers by lunchtime and closing the same week on move-in ready and investor/rehab properties.

As for me personally, I’m trying to decide what the next step is. 60 undeveloped acres in Wyoming? Small town Arizona/Tennessee/someplace warm(er)? If we stay in Indiana, it will definitely be outside of Napghanistan and most likely on the outer half of whatever donut county we end up in.
    Might as well move just outside the donut counties and you don't have to pay for sports stadia

Top Bottom