• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I go to a shooting match and notice some guys walking around with shiny metal stocks on their CZ pistols. So I go home and do a little googlin’. I find out they are made of brass.

Brass = Heavy. Heavy = less recoil. Less recoil = fast follow up shots.

I dont have a CZ shadow 2. But, on my new quest to become the fastest, best shooter ever in the whole world (shouldnt take long) I want the extra weight of the pistol grips.

I also have a couple pounds of spent BRASS casings..

So, whats to stop a fella from ordering something like this

Melting down some 9mm casings, and making his own?

As long as no one says something like “dont do this, you could die” I think I know what im doing this weekend

Ive never done any sand casting. So break room seemed appropriate. :dunno:

Thanks for reading,
    IndianaSoloMcFAST

Last edited:

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Key to doing a good cast is the proper sand, moisture content and sand packing. I haven't done any of that for more than 30 years. My dad did his own stuff out of aluminum and in shop in high school, we did casting. This is the late 80s and nothing should have changed since. Your biggest thing will be finding a melting pot to melt that brass. Dad made his "furnace" from a 30 gallon steel type barrel..trash can..same as the 55 gallon drums. He lined it with 4" of concrete with a 15" steel pipe plumed at the bottom side sticking out and used an old shop vac hooked to the pipe to blow air into it. Charcoal was the fuel source. At those times back in the day, in Walkerton indiana, there was the Hiler foundry that made brass sprinkler castings. If you remember the state rep from back in those days..John Hiler..his family own the foundry. They dumped sand castings across the road where people would dig thru and find brass scraps is in the sand molds. Dad had found one of their crucible pots and thats what he used. You'll need to research on makibg these things.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I wonder if you could make some kind of induction heater out of 1/4” copper tubing. I’ve seen a few do it yourself plans out on the Internet, making water cooled induction coils this way. You just need a high current dc power supply that can handle that kind of load and something like a condensate pump or bilge pump for the water flow.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Are you looking for brass grips, or are you looking to make grips?

Because
    https://lokgrips.com/cz-gun-grips/cz-75/specialty/cz-shadow-2-palm-swell-gridlok-aggressive-brass/

If you are looking to say “I made these grips!” That’s one thing and if you do please post pictures when you’re done!

If you just want a set of brass grips buy the lok grips I posted the link for.

I know a guy who has a set on his sig and they add quite a bit of weight and I know a few guys who have lok grips on their cz’s and they love them and I’ve been looking at them for sig axg
    https://lokgrips.com/cz-gun-grips/cz-75/specialty/cz-shadow-2-palm-swell-gridlok-aggressive-brass/

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Th
    Are you looking for brass grips, or are you looking to make grips?

Because

If you are looking to say “I made these grips!” That’s one thing and if you do please post pictures when you’re done!

If you just want a set of brass grips buy the lok grips I posted the link for.

I know a guy who has a set on his sig and they add quite a bit of weight and I know a few guys who have lok grips on their cz’s and they love them and I’ve been looking at them for sig axg
    The link you posted, is my inspiration. I want the same thing, for a gun that this option is not available for. Id be willing to spend more than that price. I just want the weight

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I would do it with The Lost Wax Method with a plaster mold.

But how would i make a wax mold out of my current pistol stocks

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    But how would i make a wax mold out of my current pistol stocks
    Normally by encasing a model into a liquid silicone block and let cure, then cutting the mold in half leaving a cavity of the part. The hard part is accounting for mold shrinkage. Liquid silicone (as mentioned in video below) has the least shrinkage at about 1% or so. I'm not sure if 1% of a grip would be significant or not, I guess if the mounting screw holes still line up with the grip frame you could get by with that. Otherwise you'd need a 1% scaled up model of your grips.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I found a feller who will do it for me. He is workin on a quote. If i could gain like, 10 ounces. Id be SO FAST ill need to attach a parachute to my gun to slow it down after a match

Top Bottom