• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I spent 9 years in the central valley of California. Saw a lot of Hispanic farm workers. They did work very hard and I never had a bit of trouble with them. Actually my interactions over the years was good. Several places if I was servicing their equipment at lunch time I was invited to share their lunch, excellent food by the way.

However a stated company policy to offer sanctuary to illegal immigrants in violation of the law seems to be something else.

I cannot fault a person for bettering their position in life. I can fault a company that flaunts their violation of federal laws.

Don

I would be dumbfounded were anyone, regardless of political leaning to say they begrudged anyone trying to better themselves. The crux of the issue seems to be that one side says sovereign U.S. law must be enforced, and the other states that for feel good reasons, U,S. law can and should be disregarded.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I spent 9 years in the central valley of California. Saw a lot of Hispanic farm workers. They did work very hard and I never had a bit of trouble with them. Actually my interactions over the years was good. Several places if I was servicing their equipment at lunch time I was invited to share their lunch, excellent food by the way.

However a stated company policy to offer sanctuary to illegal immigrants in violation of the law seems to be something else.

I cannot fault a person for bettering their position in life. I can fault a company that flaunts their violation of federal laws.

Don

I'm absolutely positive. I've worked around, or instead of, the turds for over 25 years.
    You apparently live in a different world or are one of those sympathetic people that believe they make this country better.
    You need to come up HERE and you will understand. Nothing is done about their work ethic, because they run to La Casa and end up
    with a management position, along with a huge pay increase.
    Yes, this IS real world. There are several companies locally that refuse to hire them for anything other than cleaning and landscape maintenance, and in most cases, it's only one or two to avoid the discrimination laws and keep them from over running the place.
    Your personal experiences are 180 degrees apart...how interesting.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I'm absolutely positive. I've worked around, or instead of, the turds for over 25 years.
    You apparently live in a different world or are one of those sympathetic people that believe they make this country better.
    You need to come up HERE and you will understand. Nothing is done about their work ethic, because they run to La Casa and end up
    with a management position, along with a huge pay increase.
    Yes, this IS real world. There are several companies locally that refuse to hire them for anything other than cleaning and landscape maintenance, and in most cases, it's only one or two to avoid the discrimination laws and keep them from over running the place.
    I poured concrete, laid shingles, and ran a demolition crew with quite a few Mexicans. My experience was that the guys from Mexico would work as hard as anybody I ever met with few to no complaints. The guys who were born here, particularly 3rd generation on, were often the exact opposite. More interested in their wannabe gang affiliation than in working.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    this is how uncle Trump is going to get them to pay for the wall.......plenty there to pay 14 billion......

That'll take about 5 seconds to get around if it involves any substantial financial pain. Some enterprising wire service or bank will set up an intermediary and be rich over night by charging a fraction of the fee to circumvent it. Wiring money to Mexico? Nope. Wiring it to Sweden. Then the holding company in Sweden wires it to the individual in Mexico.

Just so everyone is clear, you can sanitize yourself out of some good food and into a pansy immune system.

Yup....unless you get hepatitis. I've eaten at my share of...questionable eating establishments and other than the power squats haven't had an issue yet.

Jy1Pz.jpg

On another note/subject, I'm not a lawyer or accountant, but it amazes me that repatriating money back into the US is difficult/costly, but apparently sending it out is quite easy. Hopefully repatriating will become less costly in the near future, and at least that money can go to work here.

I think you're confusing two different things. Transferring money person to person is simple and pretty inexpensive no matter which way it flows. Corporations trying to bring in large amounts of cash they've not paid taxes on becomes expensive...because they have to then pay the taxes, not because of the transfer itself.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    “As a restaurant group,” Tarlow wrote, “we’re working together to increase our cultural competency and strengthen our self-awareness and bonds, deepening our capacity to serve our guests by understanding how we all experience the world, sometimes in similar and sometimes in very different ways, and working to make the world more hospitable to all."

A quote from a diner owner Fox asked about it.

Because OBVIOUSLY you can't make waffles without representatives from 15 countries providing their valuable input on differences in perception of waffle.

Lulz. A nice combination of virtue signaling and protecting your economic interest in low cost labor. Hippies will love you way more than if you just said "I like having people I can pay crap wages to and they won't complain because they have very limited legal rights due to their lack of legal immigration status!"

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I would be dumbfounded were anyone, regardless of political leaning to say they begrudged anyone trying to better themselves. The crux of the issue seems to be that one side says sovereign U.S. law must be enforced, and the other states that for feel good reasons, U,S. law can and should be disregarded.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gregr again.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A quote from a diner owner Fox asked about it.

Because OBVIOUSLY you can't make waffles without representatives from 15 countries providing their valuable input on differences in perception of waffle.

Lulz. A nice combination of virtue signaling and protecting your economic interest in low cost labor. Hippies will love you way more than if you just said "I like having people I can pay crap wages to and they won't complain because they have very limited legal rights due to their lack of legal immigration status!"

:yesway:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I worked with 1st generation Mexican immigrants at a steel processing plant when I was a youngster. All legal as far as we knew (the company was a stickler). Good guys. Hard working guys. After college when I was selling trucks, I often sold to 1st generation Mexican immigrants. My experience in dealing with people from that community were always good in that we would negotiate a price...and then they'd pay in $100s. I have no issue with that and it beats trying to find financing for a shmuck with bad credit to buy a $4,000 S-10.

I've also experienced the children and grandchildren of Mexican immigrants. I find no patterns other than people who are proud of their heritage and want to make me fat with great food. These are my friends, fellow church members, colleagues, neighbors, etc. Granted, I have never lived in an inner city or in an area rife with poverty, but I'm not so sure ethnic background is the biggest issue in those communities.

Look, I know there are always bad apples, and we need good border security and people need to come here legally....but lets not let those issue make us veiw every Hispanic immigrant with suspicion. there's no need for that.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would also not patronize a restaurant that would have that sign posted.

Indiana has a serious problem insuring only healthy people handle your food. Illinois makes you have a valid Health Department card that includes getting a physical exam and a TB test. None of my kids were required to get a card to work in Indiana restaurants. These were chains and locally owned businesses. We had a diseased illegal worker traced to be the source of an outbreak here in Lafayette a few years ago. That concerns me as much or more than a green card status.

One of my buddies is a big time joker. He could be a real jerk at times. Three of us stopped at a restaurant, all dressed in suits and wearing sunglasses. The waitress was Latino, as well as a bus boy and and least one man in the kitchen. He flipped his wallet open, (showing nothing but a work ID, no badge) and said we were from the Department of Immigration and he wanted to talk to the owner. The next thing we heard was IMMIGRACION! POLICIA! IMMIGRACION! The bus boy took off out the side fire exit door, we heard a door slam in the back and we never saw the waitress again. An old white woman came out from the back and asked what we wanted. Yes, there was some prior consumption of beer.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So illegals are lazy. Well, can you blame them? I mean they're trying to assimilate.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I would also not patronize a restaurant that would have that sign posted.

Indiana has a serious problem insuring only healthy people handle your food. Illinois makes you have a valid Health Department card that includes getting a physical exam and a TB test. None of my kids were required to get a card to work in Indiana restaurants. These were chains and locally owned businesses. We had a diseased illegal worker traced to be the source of an outbreak here in Lafayette a few years ago. That concerns me as much or more than a green card status.

One of my buddies is a big time joker. He could be a real jerk at times. Three of us stopped at a restaurant, all dressed in suits and wearing sunglasses. The waitress was Latino, as well as a bus boy and and least one man in the kitchen. He flipped his wallet open, (showing nothing but a work ID, no badge) and said we were from the Department of Immigration and he wanted to talk to the owner. The next thing we heard was IMMIGRACION! POLICIA! IMMIGRACION! The bus boy took off out the side fire exit door, we heard a door slam in the back and we never saw the waitress again. An old white woman came out from the back and asked what we wanted. Yes, there was some prior consumption of beer.

In California I worked on forklifts, one of our major customers was a peach orchard. It was huge, couple hundred summer workers. Talking to the manager one day and a green Piper Cub flew over with INS on the wings. He cursed and said "There goes the next 2 days of work!". Mass exodus through the trees of most workers.

He always gave me a box of hand selected peaches as big as grapefruit. ;)

Don

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In California I worked on forklifts, one of our major customers was a peach orchard. It was huge, couple hundred summer workers. Talking to the manager one day and a green Piper Cub flew over with INS on the wings. He cursed and said "There goes the next 2 days of work!". Mass exodus through the trees of most workers.

Just so that I understand, when we talk about regulations and laws that are hamstringing American businesses, we're excluding these from that conversation, right?

Top Bottom