• safety switch or no safety switch

• Total voters

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a 1911 but don't carry it. I have not trained with one in a long time and I don't trust myself to remember to sweep off the safety in a pinch. If I change my mind about carrying the 1911 it will only be after a lot of re-training myself. I really don't see that happening.

Truth be told a 1911 could be carried safety off. I wouldn't personally do that or recommend the practice. I use a thumb over safety shooting style. My cocked and unlocked comment was made as a joke. I am trying to think of examples of guns with safeties or decockers that people wouldn't have to use. There are certainly some striker fired guns like the shield that the safety could be left off. CZs maybe, those come in so many configurations that surely they have an option for something like that. Walther P99 could be carried without de cocking.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Truth be told a 1911 could be carried safety off. I wouldn't personally do that or recommend the practice. I use a thumb over safety shooting style. My cocked and unlocked comment was made as a joke. I am trying to think of examples of guns with safeties or decockers that people wouldn't have to use. There are certainly some striker fired guns like the shield that the safety could be left off. CZs maybe, those come in so many configurations that surely they have an option for something like that. Walther P99 could be carried without de cocking.

I carry a CZ. It has a thumb safety but the safety can only be engaged if the hammer is at full cock. I carry at half cock. IMO the 6# DA is all the safety I require.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I carry a CZ. It has a thumb safety but the safety can only be engaged if the hammer is at full cock. I carry at half cock. IMO the 6# DA is all the safety I require.

I'm not familiar with CZ's, so you chamber a round then hold the hammer as you pull the trigger to lower it on a live round?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not familiar with CZ's, so you chamber a round then hold the hammer as you pull the trigger to lower it on a live round?

Yup. That's why I have a sand barrel at home.

1. Hold hammer.
    2. Pull trigger to release hammer.
    3. Allow hammer to move forward slightly.
    4. Release trigger.
    5. Allow hammer to slowly move all the way down.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It's kind of funny to hear that people carry there guns that have safety's with the safety off. I don't purposely put my safety on. I figured I was the odd man out. Glad to hear I am not strange after all (well maybe some doubt about that).

I treat all my guns like they are loaded and the safety is off. It's a mindset. On my 1911 I still instinctively flip my thump up the safety when I draw just to be sure it's off when I shoot. So I am GTG. The safety adds zero value to me. Nor does it make me feel safe :dunno: Any others feel this way?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It's kind of funny to hear that people carry there guns that have safety's with the safety off. I don't purposely put my safety on. I figured I was the odd man out. Glad to hear I am not strange after all (well maybe some doubt about that).

I treat all my guns like they are loaded and the safety is off. It's a mindset. On my 1911 I still instinctively flip my thump up the safety when I draw just to be sure it's off when I shoot. So I am GTG. The safety adds zero value to me. Nor does it make me feel safe :dunno: Any others feel this way?

So, you're saying you carry the gun cocked without the thumb safety being engaged?

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    I carry my 1911 with the safety on because when I draw and am bringing the weapon up to the target my thumb is disengaging the safety. Its a natural movement for me and yes I know how the grip safety works! To each his own.

Top Bottom