• safety switch or no safety switch

• Total voters

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    Truth be told a 1911 could be carried safety off. I wouldn't personally do that or recommend the practice. I use a thumb over safety shooting style. My cocked and unlocked comment was made as a joke. I am trying to think of examples of guns with safeties or decockers that people wouldn't have to use. There are certainly some striker fired guns like the shield that the safety could be left off. CZs maybe, those come in so many configurations that surely they have an option for something like that. Walther P99 could be carried without de cocking.
    Even if it has a grip safety and in a proper holster that covers the trigger? Please explain why that would be a bad idea.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Even if it has a grip safety and in a proper holster that covers the trigger? Please explain why that would be a bad idea.

Biggest reason IMO would be the mechanical safety getting inadvertently turned on. I have had mine get turned off. By training to disengage the safety as part of the grip and drawstroke this becomes a non-issue. Like I mentioned I shoot the gun with my thumb on top of the safety.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    My usual EDC is a 1911 so, yes I use the safety. My subcompact/deep concealment pistol is a Kahr cm9. I don't object to using safe gun handling and passive safeties, likewise, I don't have a problem with safeties per se provided that they're well positioned and too large for my thumb to miss.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Really personal preference I suppose.
    I have an m&p9c with thumb safety.. it's large, easy to manipulate on the draw. But it gets in the way of my fingers when racking the slide if the safety is engaged. not a huge issue, but one less thing to worry about if it didn't have one.

I do carry appendix sometimes which is why I thought I wanted a safety. Hindsight is 20/20, I would get one without if I had to do it again.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    My appendix gun is a sr9c so it does have a safety. Glad it does but also wish it didn't. Holstering I put safety on, once in I turn it off. It's so much slower to draw and shoot with the safety on. I can draw and shoot my kahr from 4oclock faster than my sr9c in the appendix. So I usually run my kahr. Less "features" means faster draw for me. I still love my sr9c though.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My appendix gun is a sr9c so it does have a safety. Glad it does but also wish it didn't. Holstering I put safety on, once in I turn it off. It's so much slower to draw and shoot with the safety on. I can draw and shoot my kahr from 4oclock faster than my sr9c in the appendix. So I usually run my kahr. Less "features" means faster draw for me. I still love my sr9c though.

Really that is not a bad method. The SR9c safety is stiff enough that it should not get bump on. Also appendix carry should reduce the gun getting bumped. I carry my gun at 4 o'clock and it is constantly banging against stuff.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    My EDC used to be one with a thumb safety. Then I took an 8 hour Handgun class firing close to 400 rounds. Safety on, Safety off, Safety on, Safety.. crap missed it.. safety off... Safety on, Safety off, Safety on, Safety.. crap missed it again.. safety off... dang, my thumb is sore..

Now my EDC does not have manual safeties..

ymmv, ianal, idnsaahieln

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I voted before I realized that this was about a mechanical device.

I'm against the concept​ of safety, outright.

"I tell you what, you can take a safety course, and if you're still interested in guns after they've taken all the fun out of it, we'll go to the tournament." - Hank Hill

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I assume it's "manual" safety. There wasn't a "I don't care." or "bacon" option so I went with no safety. Just because it has a manual safety doesn't mean I have to engage it. My shield has a manual safety and at first I felt it was a drawback. But since it's never moved on its own from its default position, I just ignore it. And now I really don't care that it's there.

The Ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I carry a 1911, in part because of the combination of the grip and thumb safety. (There are a number of other reasons for my choice, but I digress.) Switching the thumb safety off as part of the draw is practically reflexive for me at this point, and I like the extra reassurance against an accidental discharge. I honestly don't know if I could bring myself to carry a firearm where the only "safety device" is the stiffer trigger pull, and to do so with a round chambered. That said, personally, I'd rather carry a 1911 in condition 1, than a glock in condition 3.

Tldr; yes to safety

Top Bottom