• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadTownGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Ok, here goes. I bought my first revolver, a 686 357 magnum. I bought this from a friend, he bought it new in 09, fire it 14 times, and sat for 5 years until i bought it. He is a good friend, so when he told me he never had a misfire, i believe him. But its missin now. My first 7 shots of 38 went great, then it failed to ignite the primer on 2 of the next cylinder (7shot). I thought it was ammo, so switched to magnum 357 loads, it fired all 14 rds I put in. I wrote it off as bad ammo. I took it out yesterday with the same 357 loads i had previously, and it only hit 5 out of 7 again??? Its striking the primer, but you can visually see the difference of the size of the dents from what fired, and what didn't. Is this a gunsmith job, or is there some kind of spring adjustment screw that i can tighten up? Any other thoughts or opinions?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    remove the grips and check to see if the strain screw it loose......it's on the bottom of the frame......that puts tension on the hammer spring....

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Pop the grips off and make sure the mainspring strain screw in the bottom front of the grip hasn't been backed out...it should be bottomed so that it puts full pressure on the leaf spring.

You shooting factory ammo or reloads?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Light primer strikes. Hillary hole. Could be gunk as stated. Could be something else like the key hole not fully in the shoot position but I have no revolvers with holes. Most of the time it is a hammer spring that is weak. Does it happen in single action or just double action? Only light strike revolver problems I have had was when springs were replaced to lighter options for double action pull reduction and I just went back up in spring strength till it worked again.

MadTownGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Shooting all factory loaded brass. I thought it may have been dusty and gunked up too, so i made sure it was cleaned before i even took it out. I'll pop off the grips and check and make sure no screws are loose. It'll be a week or 2 before i'll be able to get it back out. I'll give you guys an update on the results on the screws.

MadTownGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Go easy on me, im new to revolvers, and not sure the rules on dry firing a revolver, but shoukd i dry fire it some and maybe "shake out the cobwebs"

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would recommend sending it to S&W. They will make it right. I have read from Jack Weigand of Weignad Combat and of the American Pistolsmith Guild state that the 7 shot revolvers get out of time easier than the 6 shot. I have only owned 6 shot 686's and have never had any issues with S&W anything.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I do a lot of work on revolvers. It sounds to me like a weak hammer spring. UNLESS it is misfiring on the same two cylinders. Next time you take it out, and it misfires, take a sharpie and mark the chamber that misfires. Reload and shoot again. See if it's the same one. If it IS the same chamber, it may be a timing/machining issue. If it's NOT the same chamber, I would suggest replacing the hammer spring, and maybe even potentially the firing pin to correct the issue.

MadTownGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    I was wondering if it was the same 2 cylinders too..wish I would have marked them. I will next time. I do know they werent right next to each other each time. Kinda like bang bang bang click bang click bang or something of that sort. The misfires weren't consecutive with each other. Will a spring go bad sitting for 5 years?

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Here is the strain screw mentioned before.

View attachment 27453

Make sure this is tight. If it is, someone may have put a lighter mainspring in or bent it to give a lighter trigger pull. It may be set up to only work with Federal primers. Was the .357 ammo that worked 100% Federal? I have some revolvers set up for only Fed primers and some set up for all primers. Ask you friend if he had the gun worked on.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    A trick that some use is to put a spent primer (anvil)removed over the end of the strain screw then tighten the screw .This will put moer tension on the spring ,see if it helps.if it does replace the strain screw. you may need to shorten the screw a little at a time to make it bottom out and lock on the frame
    springs usually don't weaken with age but with use . mag springs can be left loaded years without a problem

MadTownGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    The gun has not been modified in any way. The ammo I shot was Federal 38, and PMC 357. They both had misfires. Im going to shop for a heavier spring and try that. If that doesnt work, I'll call a gunsmith, or S&W and go from there. I hate sending in firearms. I just went through this whole sending to the manufacturer with my SA xds. Any recommendations on a quality heavier spring?

MadTownGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    And also for the guy wondering, my particular s&w doesn't have the firing pin on the hammer itself. Its on the frame. Would switching to one with a pin on the hammer be an option?

Top Bottom