• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It's a new day, any new videos or reviews? Anybody else pick up a Prodigy?
    Also, Hilton Yam did a 40 minute Instagram answering questions yesterday on 2 samples he has. I have no idea how to link it. Hilton does a lot of work with Springfield's and says these guns are very typical for them. (That is not meant to be good or bad). He didn't even get to range time yet in that video.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Something like that can sometimes be traced to an extractor with too much tension as well. If there's too much tension the round can hang up on the feed ramp as the case rim can't easily slide up into the extractor notch.
    I remember having something years ago, can't say it was a 1911 for sure, but the breech face had a rough spot or burr at the bottom that was causing rounds to intermittently hang up. Light smoothing/polishing of the breech face corrected it.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I remember having something years ago, can't say it was a 1911 for sure, but the breech face had a rough spot or burr at the bottom that was causing rounds to intermittently hang up. Light smoothing/polishing of the breech face corrected it.
    Yeah breechface issues can happen but not that often, when I build one I always hit it with 300-400 grit as a matter of course though. Some of these issues with the light springs people have shown where the slide is hanging up on the disconnector can be alleviated with just a little 45 degree bevel on that breech face edge.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Handled one at my LGS this morning. Not bad. Trigger on this particular model was decent. Didn't care for the size and shape of the thumb safety. You could definitely feel the hang up on the disconnector when racking the slide. I really liked the iron sights. The factory red dot not so much. Appreciated how low the rds is able to sit so low. I think that plate system is going to be a big positive. Grip shape and texture was pretty good.

All in all not a bad gun. Like Hilton said, you can definitely see why a Staccato is $900 more money, but for the market it is aimed for I would say this gun is on target.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    The new Springfield prodigy is a great pistol so far if you like 1911s. I Unfortunately am not a fan of the platform with the exception of historical pieces.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Just got done watching the 10-8 video , he answered most of my questions honestly. WAY too much MIM in that gun , and he confirmed my suspicion about Staccatos being 100% tool steel because they are. His guns had garbage rod triggers 6~ pounds on any 1911 is not acceptable.

Jim5528

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I put 200 rounds of my reloads though my 5-inch Prodigy yesterday without a single-issue trigger is 4.6 lbs. Had a hard time removing the guide rod I thought may it had Loctite on the threads but found it had been cross threaded.

Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    I almost ordered the 4.25" Prodigy at Sportsman's last week. I'm glad I held off as Hilton Yam's video convinced me that the Staccato C2 was a better fit for my use (carry). Yam's comments about Springfield make me comfortable that a C2-sized Prodigy ( assuming they make one) would make a good backup for a C2. That extra $800 is going to hurt.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The above 10-8 video is excellent and unbiased. I'll look forward to his range report.

I would lean towards replacing all the internals anyway so the video sheds light on what matters to me - frame, slide and barrel fitment.

So...buy an AOS for Holosun, replace all the internals, buy a magwell and a threaded barrel or pony up for a Staccato P ready out of the box?

Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    The Staccatos come with a RMR plate - I believe that would fit all the regular-sized Holosuns. Not sure about how much all the parts would cost - in my case, I would likely have to get a gunsmith involved. Another consideration is resale (if you ever want to sell down the road) - I would guess that a Staccato would hold resale value better than a Prodigy with a bunch of extra parts.

Top Bottom