Ruger's new offering today? AR-15 entry model...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I personally think Ruger has hit a home run with this rifle. If you guys watched any of the linked videos, the delta ring can be replaced by a mil-spec one. Also I'm not quite as "suspicious" as some of you guys are. Ruger says they are making it "in house", then they are making it in house. I think in this day and age, manufactures know better than to lie to the public, as someone will always do their homework and expose them. So I believe they are making them in house as they claim.
    Most of us know, that manufacturing AR's is not really that expensive, so why not make it in house?

mo381

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Cass County
    Yes, I deleted last night's post because I am much less aggravated this morning.

In short, Ruger is using a proprietary barrel nut and threaded delta ring. And I (of course) broke the delta ring. It was pretty annoying that I can't just run down to the LGS and get a new one. Anyway, I called Ruger this morning and they are overnighting me one, for free... so I'll be shooting this weekend after all.

Regarding the parts, I bet Ruger is not actually making any of them in-house (okay, maybe the stupid new delta rings), but I'm okay with that. They are assembling the rifles in North Carolina, but I assume they are buying all the part from outside sources.

Did you receive it quick and how hard was it to replace.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Looks like I have found another must have. Old man Ruger would be having a stroke if he knew what his company was making these days.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Pretty sure this will be my first AR-15 platform rifle, when I'm ready to buy one. (And for the price, I'll be "ready to buy one" much sooner.)

Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    Took mine out today for its first short range trip. I added a Vortex 3-9 and used 5 round mags, other than that its bone stock with the usual crappy trigger. I shot 5 shot groups after I got it close enough to hit up close and moved back to 103 yards. I tried 4 different types of ammo with another shooter pulling groups too. Remington UMC 50 gr HP and WWB 45 gr HP shot just under 1 1/2" outside-outside. Nosler Varmageddon 55gr HP would do 1 1/4" and American Eagle 50 gr tipped varmint pulled .8s just one big hole.

I did run into feeding issues, still not sure why. Seems like mag issues but without others to try I'll have to wait until I get more.

mo381

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Cass County
    Took mine out Friday for the first actual range time and sighting in the scope, Bushnell AR 223 3-9x40. Overall put about 120 rounds through it with no feeding issues.
    Dialed it on the paper at 50 then went back to about 95 and shot 1.5" 3 shot groups resting along side a tree, all on old 55 gr. I had. Then a click or to for the Winchester 55 gr varmint for coyotes.
    It seems a little heavy with the scope but it is manageable. Overall I really like it and for the price it is a great value.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I was just getting ready to buy one when the latest round of "ammo panic" started. No sense buying a gun unless you can get ammo reasonably.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I really like the fact that Ruger is building an AR-15. To me, it says that the AR is spreading out beyond the enthusiast crowd and is now desired by just plain old folks looking for a decent rifle. It really does prove that the AR now stands for America's Rifle.

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    After handling a few of these at work, I'm very impressed. Definitely giving the Sport a run for its money.

Top Bottom