• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I tried posting this once but mayhem ensued. I just picked up my first shotgun and I was thinking of giving trap shooting a try to get some experience with handling it. I've shot at Roush before, but only in the handgun stations. I've never seen anyone using the trap field. I've never been to Hillside but I saw on their website that they have "2 automatic trap fields that are voice activated."

This seems like a convenient setup for me since I go shooting by myself and I would like to get some practice on my own before trying to jump into one of the organized shoots. My question is, is the trap field at Roush Lake automatic as well? I'm kind of curious whether someone sits in that little trap house or if it just holds an automated thrower. Also, do I need to bring my own clays?

It's cheaper to shoot at Roush but Hillside is closer, and if their trap fields are more convenient for a lone gunman noob then I'll pay the extra and smile about it. I've also considered Izaac Walton in Huntertown but I have the exact same question about that range too.

Anyone with experience at Roush care to enlighten me?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I was just at roush and shot trap this morning bc I'm going to be a guide for my step dad's disabled vets dove hunt (he's basically teaching me ;) ). They have a guy behind you that presses a button to launch the clays when you say pull. So the range officer is the voice activator.

This was my first time shooting trap, and it was a load of fun. I would go to roush, it's cheaper right? Similar results, and if you have questions I'm sure the RO would help you out :)

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    You don't need a guy behind at roush to do it though! I go alot with my wife and she sits down and reads after she is done shooting her pistol and I shoot clays. You do not need to bring your own clays, however, they do allow it. If you use your own clays all you have to do is bring your own thrower and set up your stuff off to the side. If you dont have your own stuff it is $5 per 25. You go inside and buy a coin(or several) and drop it in the coin accept slot in the hut! You have a foot pedal that you step on to launch the clay! Its super simple and definitely challenging enough to practice!

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    I was just at roush and shot trap this morning bc I'm going to be a guide for my step dad's disabled vets dove hunt (he's basically teaching me ;) ). They have a guy behind you that presses a button to launch the clays when you say pull. So the range officer is the voice activator.

This was my first time shooting trap, and it was a load of fun. I would go to roush, it's cheaper right? Similar results, and if you have questions I'm sure the RO would help you out :)

I was also at Roush today, Were you the big group standing by the suv? I was there about 1130 to one oclock.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Yeah. I was the guy in the INGO don't tread on me shirt, driving a van. My stepdad was in a white truck. We were out on the shotgun range starting at noon :) I took off at 130p as I had shot my 50 rounds for practice. :)

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    the older DNR range masters (Bob Bonewitz, can't remember the other's name, senior citizen) are rough but AWESOME guys. obey their rules and ask em questions rather than remain ignorant.

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    Yea when I was there this weekend my wife said the guy who is always chewing tobacco (dont think I ever learned his name actually) almost kicked about some people of the south of the border persuasion. He was taking his targets down before the range was clear and I honestly thought he was gonna punch the dude lol!

Top Bottom