• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    That's a good question. A couple of the units were definitely at the end of the lifespan.the rest of them have a lot of life in them. Some of them have FGD units that are only a few years old.

The way I see it is it gets them out of the liability of being a power producer, and instead they become a power purchasers. It cuts down the infrastructure and workforce cost. It also gets them tax cuts and I'm sure it will increase the price of shares. On top of that they will be able to get a rate increase as well.

Last edited:

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    That's a good question. A couple of the units were definitely at the end of the lifespan.the rest of them have a lot of life in them. Some of them have FGD units that are only a few years old.

The way I see it is it gets them out of the liability of being a power producer, and instead they become a power purchasers. It cuts down the infrastructure and workforce cost. It also gets them tax cuts and I'm sure it will increase the price of shares. On top of that they will be able to get a rate increase as well.
    I’ll call a spade a spade. NIPSCO went to hell as a company when the Columbia companies were acquired. I worked on the gas side of the business starting on the union side and later jumped the fence to supervision. What that company has become is a friggin embarrassment. I walked out the door nearly eight years ago and there is no amount of money that could get me back to work in that broken house again.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I’ll call a spade a spade. NIPSCO went to hell as a company when the Columbia companies were acquired. I worked on the gas side of the business starting on the union side and later jumped the fence to supervision. What that company has become is a friggin embarrassment. I walked out the door nearly eight years ago and there is no amount of money that could get me back to work in that broken house again.
    I can't argue with any of this. The only thing consistent is the flow of golden parachutes.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    There is an area here in Lawrence county where landowners get free natural gas because of some arrangement some gas line company made with them for storage or something. (Sorry, I don’t know the official explanation). A friend of a friend owned a house on a parcel of land that got free gas and decided he’d go off the grid and bought a whole house generator and powered off that free gas. Turns out fuel wasn’t the only cost associated with doing that. Now, running one 24/7 forever is much different than the time required for peak shaving but that friend’s friend gave up rather quickly.

Much like the fears of mass EV charging pulling down the grid, I’d think the analogous problems would happen to the NG distribution system if a bunch of people started sucking gas for generators all of a sudden.
    I would think there would be excess in the summer when the gas furnaces are not running…

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I'm also curious about that $200 to run the generator for a day. What fuel source was that and how big is it?

After the heat and sunshine today, I wonder what sort of battery wall would be required to keep a house running including the AC and if solar could even keep up with it if there was an extended outage.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm also curious about that $200 to run the generator for a day. What fuel source was that and how big is it?
    My current 9500W portable uses 6.6 gallons per 8 hours at 50% average capacity. So it is a $100 a day for that at current gas prices. I am estimating that a 20-24KW NG will also be about $100 a day to run the whole house. If anyone has real world numbers on this please share…

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Beyond insane, insanity is random, this is organized. Many of us have been warning of this for a few years, but it the sheeple and dumbmasses living in their normalcy bias never believed it would affect their lives.

This is the way it works. Leftists pass a bill that x will be mandated in 2035 and we will take steps to get there. The sheeple like this because it requires nothing now, it can all be put off while they feel good about doing something. Then the process begins and they make excuses and blame others while the dumbmasses tighten their blinders because if they don’t see it, it cannot hurt them…
    How about a class action lawsuit against the utilities. No one forced them to shut down any gen station. They know what their demand is. WE pay for reliable service. We have gone to energy efficient everything to further lower the electrical demand. Seems they cannot hold up their side of the deal and supply a reliable service because of their stupid decisions.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    How about a class action lawsuit against the utilities. No one forced them to shut down any gen station. They know what their demand is. WE pay for reliable service. We have gone to energy efficient everything to further lower the electrical demand. Seems they cannot hold up their side of the deal and supply a reliable service because of their stupid decisions.
    The utilities are doing what TPTB are and have been incentivizing. Not going to get traction on that as delicious as it sounds…

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    My current 9500W portable uses 6.6 gallons per 8 hours at 50% average capacity. So it is a $100 a day for that at current gas prices. I am estimating that a 20-24KW NG will also be about $100 a day to run the whole house. If anyone has real world numbers on this please share…
    Mine runs on LP, it’s a 1000 gal. tank. It reads in % full. So I would need to check the % when the ginny starts then again when it stops, calculate the % to gal then multiple buy cost per gal, I’ve never done that. But we did have an extended outage a few winters ago. (3 days) I called the gas guy and told him what happened and come fill’er up. He said the LP ginnys can eat some gas. That’s the extent of my knowledge on cost of LP whole house ginnys. But I also know they are priceless when you have to have them. Frozen pipes, medical devices, piece of mind, I cant put a price on that.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I had been considering buying a 9500W portable generator, but I just don't think it's worth it after doing the math. I've read that one really needs a dedicated backup generator of 20k watts or so to run everything in a typical household, including heat/AC, well pump, etc.

I don't have LP or NG, my house is total electric. So I'd have to go with a gasoline or gas/LP dual fuel portable. Purchasing a portable, getting the breaker box setup for generator input, building a little generator shed with sound deadening to keep the unit somewhat discrete during operation and then paying $100 a day to run it while still not being able to use my heat/AC just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. If it's a 1 hour blackout, I can put up with that. If it's an extended outage, I can hop in the truck and go visit family that has power.

Am I thinking about this wrong?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I had been considering buying a 9500W portable generator, but I just don't think it's worth it after doing the math. I've read that one really needs a dedicated backup generator of 20k watts or so to run everything in a typical household, including heat/AC, well pump, etc.

I don't have LP or NG, my house is total electric. So I'd have to go with a gasoline or gas/LP dual fuel portable. Purchasing a portable, getting the breaker box setup for generator input, building a little generator shed with sound deadening to keep the unit somewhat discrete during operation and then paying $100 a day to run it while still not being able to use my heat/AC just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. If it's a 1 hour blackout, I can put up with that. If it's an extended outage, I can hop in the truck and go visit family that has power.

Am I thinking about this wrong?
    Start here and see what you will need but your description sounds like you are in a tough spot with a total electric home.

Top Bottom