• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Passing along what comes in the news feed. You can take or leave what is in the news.

Just me, but it seems as though remote workers might want to stay informed to what business is reporting on their individual circumstances, in reference to employees working from home? :dunno:

I'm quite aware of what my employer (DoD) is reporting on our circumstances. They couldn't be happier. They're getting higher productivity and reduced costs. What's not to like? :dunno:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm quite aware of what my employer (DoD) is reporting on our circumstances. They couldn't be happier. They're getting higher productivity and reduced costs. What's not to like? :dunno:

I'm well aware that not all employers are that enlightened though. That's the sad part. There is absolutely no downside to remote work if managed properly.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm just posting what comes up in the google news feed. Maybe google is having problems with remote workers production vs labor costs? :dunno:

More likely Google, similar to most big businesses, is filled with managers that don't know how to do their jobs and instead of knowing what each worker should be doing, wants butts in seats so they can cling to the illusion that everyone is working hard.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    More likely Google, similar to most big businesses, is filled with managers that don't know how to do their jobs and instead of knowing what each worker should be doing, wants butts in seats so they can cling to the illusion that everyone is working hard.

I guess I should say, I have a management background. So when I'm railing against managers, I'm not just a regular non-management employee saying these things. During my first stint as a manager my company sent me to a basic supervision class and I'm eternally thankful that they did. I would say that most managers and execs I've come across have absolutely no idea how to manage people. There are basics in understanding productivity and enforcing it, as well as basics in giving someone a task and expecting them to successfully complete said task. Even these absolute basic things are done wrong most of the time. It's appalling to me how few managers have a clue. That said, my experience is mostly IT/Information Security/business. Other industries may be better... :dunno:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    When I say I'm appalled at how few managers have a clue, I'm not exaggerating at all. In 25 years in the business world I've had maybe two good managers. I've worked with a few more, but not many. Every day I hear people talk about managers who are clueless. I can guarantee that businesses would improve further by holding managers accountable than about any other thing that could be done.

An old manager of mine was a sterling example of this. One day we were all sitting at our desks (all 3 team members) and he comes walking up, ranting and raving about something. Looked at us and said "this needs to be fixed" and walked off. A month later in a meeting he was having a conniption because no one fixed the problem. I looked at him and said "and who did you assign that task to and what was the deadline given"? One basic thing you learn as a manager is if you didn't assign a task to a specific individual and set a specific deadline, the task is not assigned and therefore you shouldn't expect it to be done.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I say I'm appalled at how few managers have a clue, I'm not exaggerating at all. In 25 years in the business world I've had maybe two good managers. I've worked with a few more, but not many. Every day I hear people talk about managers who are clueless. I can guarantee that businesses would improve further by holding managers accountable than about any other thing that could be done.

An old manager of mine was a sterling example of this. One day we were all sitting at our desks (all 3 team members) and he comes walking up, ranting and raving about something. Looked at us and said "this needs to be fixed" and walked off. A month later in a meeting he was having a conniption because no one fixed the problem. I looked at him and said "and who did you assign that task to and what was the deadline given"? One basic thing you learn as a manager is if you didn't assign a task to a specific individual and set a specific deadline, the task is not assigned and therefore you shouldn't expect it to be done.
    Well to be fair, there's nothing stopping the employees from asking those things, like who, when, etc..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I just saw this commercial shortly after you posted... :):

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well to be fair, there's nothing stopping the employees from asking those things, like who, when, etc..
    true. But it IS the MANAGER'S JOB to do that.

I'm not saying that as a us/them thing.
    My group was 'self directed'.
    We had a manager for all of maintenance. He babysat the other 2 groups.
    Then, because he NEVER received a call about us, assumed we did 1 or 2 jobs in a MONTH.
    So when we started filing out 'tickets' for each call.. I would turn in 20 job tickets, one of which would say we were out of job tickets.
    Then, the production managers got mad at signing our tickets, and call the maintenance foreman and threaten him, because they had enough to do without signing stupid paperwork all day.

He would talk about on maintenance days, he would have us help the other two crafts, instead of doing our jobs that could only be done while down.
    Then, the building was down for 16 hours for maintenance, and we had ONE guy to work. So, only so much work got done.
    For the next 30 days, the manager fielded questions from corporate about why were we BEHIND on our scheduled checks. It was normal to be a bit behind. If you have to take something down, well it waits till the next scheduled event if possible. And when it doesn't get fixed then, ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.
    He slowly learned.
    Slowly.

Then, I had another boss. Not only one of the best managers, but a good guy.
    The building was down for maintenance, a coworker and I got on the elevator either going to or from a job, and this manager said something like.. 'hey, there's my hard working fairies.'
    :xmad: WHAT??????
    He explained, when our stuff broke, he never even got a call.
    He would find out about it the next day, and it had MAGICALLY fixed itself, but he knew we went out there and fixed it. He didn't know what we did, how we did it, or when.
    He said we just sprinkle magic fairy dust around and fixed it.
    :rofl: I laughed and told him we just did our jobs, that it was funny, but please pick another nickname.
    Cause that word doesn't go over well in the steel mill.

And a little after that, his own father shot him to death.
    :(

So, the managers do impact the job.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    true. But it IS the MANAGER'S JOB to do that.

I'm not saying that as a us/them thing.
    My group was 'self directed'.
    We had a manager for all of maintenance. He babysat the other 2 groups.
    Then, because he NEVER received a call about us, assumed we did 1 or 2 jobs in a MONTH.
    So when we started filing out 'tickets' for each call.. I would turn in 20 job tickets, one of which would say we were out of job tickets.
    Then, the production managers got mad at signing our tickets, and call the maintenance foreman and threaten him, because they had enough to do without signing stupid paperwork all day.

He would talk about on maintenance days, he would have us help the other two crafts, instead of doing our jobs that could only be done while down.
    Then, the building was down for 16 hours for maintenance, and we had ONE guy to work. So, only so much work got done.
    For the next 30 days, the manager fielded questions from corporate about why were we BEHIND on our scheduled checks. It was normal to be a bit behind. If you have to take something down, well it waits till the next scheduled event if possible. And when it doesn't get fixed then, ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.
    He slowly learned.
    Slowly.

Then, I had another boss. Not only one of the best managers, but a good guy.
    The building was down for maintenance, a coworker and I got on the elevator either going to or from a job, and this manager said something like.. 'hey, there's my hard working fairies.'
    :xmad: WHAT??????
    He explained, when our stuff broke, he never even got a call.
    He would find out about it the next day, and it had MAGICALLY fixed itself, but he knew we went out there and fixed it. He didn't know what we did, how we did it, or when.
    He said we just sprinkle magic fairy dust around and fixed it.
    :rofl: I laughed and told him we just did our jobs, that it was funny, but please pick another nickname.
    Cause that word doesn't go over well in the steel mill.

And a little after that, his own father shot him to death.
    :(

So, the managers do impact the job.
    I think we're kind of on the same page. You didn't wait for your manager to tell you to fix something. You took initiative and got it fixed. Good employees will do that. Good managers will also make sure that it gets done, so the two go hand-in-hand IMO.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I just saw this commercial shortly after you posted... :):

Don't get me wrong, I'm that guy at my current job.

When I worked IT, we had enough work to do without volunteering for more. Problem of running a support desk with 1 guy when it used to be 3, but the work is enough for 2. Also, that manager was one of the biggest a$$holes I'd ever worked with, so I wasn't about to volunteer to help him out. This was a normal thing for him and we were more than over it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Don't get me wrong, I'm that guy at my current job.

When I worked IT, we had enough work to do without volunteering for more. Problem of running a support desk with 1 guy when it used to be 3, but the work is enough for 2. Also, that manager was one of the biggest a$$holes I'd ever worked with, so I wasn't about to volunteer to help him out. This was a normal thing for him and we were more than over it.
    Oh I get it. When stuff keeps getting piled on, I will ask my manager what takes priority out of all the "projects". Puts the responsibility back on them (and I have good managers - but our customers can be pretty demanding).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Oh I get it. When stuff keeps getting piled on, I will ask my manager what takes priority out of all the "projects". Puts the responsibility back on them (and I have good managers - but our customers can be pretty demanding).
    LOL…Mine usually said they’re all still important or work smarter or you’ll have to run faster because the just because the goal posts changed doesn’t mean we can lose the game or other cute things like that.

Underlings didn’t make managers make decisions.

Top Bottom