• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I find the premise flawed (just going from the title).
    The article reports on research from what most would call reputable universities like MIT, not sure what the flawed premise is as they certainly are not bomb throwers in it. It feels more like a trend line that wuwho flu accelerated…

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The article reports on research from what most would call reputable universities like MIT, not sure what the flawed premise is as they certainly are not bomb throwers in it. It feels more like a trend line that wuwho flu accelerated…

The only thing I find realistic about the title is that it throws in the word could. It could happen, or it could not. Like I said, if you work in an office doing administrative or analytical type of work, your job *could* be outsourced. That has been true since the aughts. Working remote doesn't necessarily change that.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The only thing I find realistic about the title is that it throws in the word could. It could happen, or it could not. Like I said, if you work in an office doing administrative or analytical type of work, your job *could* be outsourced. That has been true since the aughts. Working remote doesn't necessarily change that.
    Isn't like manufacturing jobs haven't also been moved offshore for decades as well. Takes a bit more effort, but it happens.

My brother has worked from home for decades. I've been able to work from my choice of location for the last 12 years. There will always be movement of jobs depending on the financials and the reqs of the job.

The key is to be able to adapt.

The typical person I hear calling for gloom and doom of remote working often sounds like A) they have never done it and doesn't have experience in the fields that often work remote, and B) is really just indicating it could get even more remote.

Of course, remote jobs can move around. Just depends on the overall financials and the requirements. This is nothing new, in most of these fields. IT, call centers, data entry, etc have had this threat/opportunity for decades now.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Isn't like manufacturing jobs haven't also been moved offshore for decades as well. Takes a bit more effort, but it happens.

My brother has worked from home for decades. I've been able to work from my choice of location for the last 12 years. There will always be movement of jobs depending on the financials and the reqs of the job.

The key is to be able to adapt.

The typical person I hear calling for gloom and doom of remote working often sounds like A) they have never done it and doesn't have experience in the fields that often work remote, and B) is really just indicating it could get even more remote.

Of course, remote jobs can move around. Just depends on the overall financials and the requirements. This is nothing new, in most of these fields. IT, call centers, data entry, etc have had this threat/opportunity for decades now.

Yeah, makes me think of the doom and gloom for developers that was spouted heavily in the aughts. Like you said, some development jobs have moved overseas and plenty have stayed here. Believe it or not, code is intellectual property and often having it done by non-US employees is a bad idea. Whodda thunk it?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I think it's kinda funny, because it reminds me of the panic of some of the older workers when dress codes started to loosen up. When I started out in a professional environment, it had already relaxed to "dress slacks, dress shirt and tie" from a full suit. Over time that loosened to khakis and a polo and now has gone to jeans and a polo. During the time this was going on (over a couple of decades BTW), I kept hearing people complain about "how can people fill a professional role and not dress like a professional" and how it would harm business and if you got used to "dressing down" you wouldn't get hired or your career would stagnate. Ha!

Kinda used to hear similar about shaving. When I was first hired you either had a beard, or you were clean shaven. The stubble look was frowned upon. Now it's pretty common that I'll shave once a week and see other guys in the office (back when I worked in an office) who sported a week or more growth. Just like the dress code there were people, both men and women, who would predict lack of work for those of us unshaven masses... :):

I think it's better to realize that attitudes change over time and with it the need to keep up appearances. To me, that's all working in the office is, just keeping up the appearances for those who thinks butts in seats means productivity. Attitudes are changing and employers and employees both have realized the benefits of remote work. Will some of that work move offshore? Absolutely, but I don't think the doom and gloom is warranted. Some will move offshore and some will stay domestic. Those who really want to work remote will find a way to and those who just view it as NBD will head back to the office.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    And we (US) are not the most restrictive/regulated labor market. So depending on laws of other countries and what requirements there are for certain work to be done there, remote workers in the US could actually be doing work for European companies, etc.

It's not a zero sum game, that some make it out to be.

Any of us that have been in IT for any length of time have seen the pendulum swing in the various directions on outsourcing /offshoring and we've seen the type of work change that is kept onshore vs that which is offshored/outsourced (infosec investigation work for example vs commodity coding type of work -- just one example. Another example being related to various data residency laws and regulations on location of associated people working with that data, etc).

It's not much different than how lots of companies had their own data centers and the associated jobs that were involved in racking servers have given way to the big cloud providers. (Proving that in person/on location jobs aren't immune to disruption either. Just might take more capital investment to do so)

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Never had to wear a suit, thank God. And I won’t. I always saw through the suit clad sales guys and managers. They were doing more harm than good distancing themselves from the person they were working with.

As far as facial hair, I’m old enough that there was a time facial hair was a no no. Sales is a numbers game and back in the day half of your customers frowned on it so to maximize sales potential, the smart move was to shave.

Doesn’t matter today.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Never had to wear a suit, thank God. And I won’t. I always saw through the suit clad sales guys and managers. They were doing more harm than good distancing themselves from the person they were working with.

As far as facial hair, I’m old enough that there was a time facial hair was a no no. Sales is a numbers game and back in the day half of your customers frowned on it so to maximize sales potential, the smart move was to shave.

Doesn’t matter today.
    The only time I ever wore a suit to work was when I was a shoe salesman. :): I did wear a tie, dress shirt and dress pants when I first started in IT, but that didn't last long before more casual wear became the norm. When I left the office for WFH, casual Fridays were still a thing, with jeans and t-shirts or sweatshirts being acceptable then.

As for facial hair, I shave every day, even when I'm camping. I used to have a mustache (from about age 20 to age 40), but I can't stand the feel of even stubble on my face anymore.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The only time I ever wore a suit to work was when I was a shoe salesman. :): I did wear a tie, dress shirt and dress pants when I first started in IT, but that didn't last long before more casual wear became the norm. When I left the office for WFH, casual Fridays were still a thing, with jeans and t-shirts or sweatshirts being acceptable then.

As for facial hair, I shave every day, even when I'm camping. I used to have a mustache (from about age 20 to age 40), but I can't stand the feel of even stubble on my face anymore.
    We are jeans and a decent shirt. Have been since before Covid. President is trying to support millennials .

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    We are jeans and a decent shirt. Have been since before Covid. President is trying to support millennials .

IU Health is that way for non-patient facing staff and has been since a year or so after I was hired. Of course, we have to take off our employee badges if we have to go into a hospital facility because we don't want any medical people being butt hurt because they can't wear jeans. Of course, most of them run around in scrubs... :rolleyes:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    IU Health is that way for non-patient facing staff and has been since a year or so after I was hired. Of course, we have to take off our employee badges if we have to go into a hospital facility because we don't want any medical people being butt hurt because they can't wear jeans. Of course, most of them run around in scrubs... :rolleyes:
    I remember when nurses had a specific outfit including hat, I kinda miss it. And yeah pretty much every medical person I see is wearing scrubs, except for a few Drs who wear regular cloths and a lab coat.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I remember when nurses had a specific outfit including hat, I kinda miss it. And yeah pretty much every medical person I see is wearing scrubs, except for a few Drs who wear regular cloths and a lab coat.
    It's just irritating to me. You go into the health field and realize that you're going to be wearing scrubs, or if a doc, nice clothes under a lab coat. You know going into that career field that it's unlikely if you work patient facing especially that you'll ever be in casual clothes. Some places, yes, but mostly not. To gripe because people in a different career field get to wear jeans is just being a crybaby. Of course, that kinda defines the Left, so maybe a lot of people in healthcare are Leftists? I know as an org IUH is very Left.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    BTW, if anyone is experienced in InfoSec and is looking for a employer change, we're hiring. Fully remote position with IUH performing vendor risk assessments. This is a Sr. Analyst position, so experience in InfoSec is required, though we don't require a degree or any specific certs. Our pay isn't the best, but it's not horrible. Payscale for Sr. Analyst is $76k/yr. - $131k/yr. If interested, send me a PM/Conversation and I can send you the link to the opening.

Top Bottom