Mitchell

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I can guess the conversation in the town hall "You guys and gals are the best. You took one for the team and worked from home during the lockdowns and we've managed to continue to beat productivity goals due to your dedication and diligence. We're wasting a lot of money on buildings with no employees in them, so even though you did fantastic working from home, we now want your butts in chairs in the office, doing the lousy morning commute and working with your manager looking over your shoulder and your coworker loudly talking on the phone in the cube next to you on a personal call. Oh yeah and we're rolling out this great new open office concept for you all to enjoy".

And they wonder why people don't want to come back... :rolleyes:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I can guess the conversation in the town hall "You guys and gals are the best. You took one for the team and worked from home during the lockdowns and we've managed to continue to beat productivity goals due to your dedication and diligence. We're wasting a lot of money on buildings with no employees in them, so even though you did fantastic working from home, we now want your butts in chairs in the office, doing the lousy morning commute and working with your manager looking over your shoulder and your coworker loudly talking on the phone in the cube next to you on a personal call. Oh yeah and we're rolling out this great new open office concept for you all to enjoy".

You reminded me of a former coworker that was hard of hearing and did a lot of personal business at the office on his speaker phone. People could hear him talking at the other end of the floor. We heard about his taekwondo school, his car issues, his nanny, his sister's mental issues, etc.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

It's probably even more old school than that: "You can't **** 'em if they're not here".

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You reminded me of a former coworker that was hard of hearing and did a lot of personal business at the office on his speaker phone. People could hear him talking at the other end of the floor. We heard about his taekwondo school, his car issues, his nanny, his sister's mental issues, etc.
    We had a guy who did a lot of personal phone calls in our "cube farm." I knew about his screwed up sons, their drug problems, employment situations, vehicle woes. I knew how much money he had in his retirement portfolio(and I was a little envious. For being a flake, he did well saving for retirement) and I knew about his love life with his wife, ick.

He did not care that we all heard his conversations. The bedroom talk with his wife was the worst, lol.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm slightly hard of hearing and having just general office noise around me makes it difficult to be on phone calls (work related as I always go outside for personal calls). Actually due to my work being reading technical documents all day, office noise in general is very distracting. For these reasons, among others, remote work has been a godsend.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I've heard through the grapevine that going back to the office was actually considered by a manager at an office site... The scuttlebutt is more than a few people said they would probably look elsewhere for work. This is from people who have figured out the work-life balance and are much more productive. So far that idea got canned and the location is still scheduled for non-renewal of the lease. :thumbsup:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've heard through the grapevine that going back to the office was actually considered by a manager at an office site... The scuttlebutt is more than a few people said they would probably look elsewhere for work. This is from people who have figured out the work-life balance and are much more productive. So far that idea got canned and the location is still scheduled for non-renewal of the lease. :thumbsup:

I told my manager point blank when the COVID lockdowns ended that if they were going to make noise about us moving back to the office that I would just find another job. 4 of 7 of us on the team said the same thing. Our CISO promised that we wouldn't have to go back in to the office if we didn't want to. When the CIO started making noise, he was told the InfoSec personnel who wanted to work from home were going to stay there. That was over a year ago and no one has brought it up since.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

That's basically what IU did for those of us on the research side.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    People that live in expensive urban areas are going to be the first to lose out. Companies will start looking all over the country for people. As posted above, they will offer people more than they would make locally while paying them less than it would cost in the urban area.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    People that live in expensive urban areas are going to be the first to lose out. Companies will start looking all over the country for people. As posted above, they will offer people more than they would make locally while paying them less than it would cost in the urban area.
    I agree, the urban pay scales will not last in the face of WFH and lower bidders in cheaper areas. Heck, some of those lower bidders may be those that fled the urban areas to more rural.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Paywall for me as well.

I find the premise flawed (just going from the title). I used to support people in the 90's who had telecommuter positions and those same positions still exist. As stated before, yes, some jobs will move overseas. This would happen if they were office jobs or remote worker positions. Some jobs can be outsourced. Whether you are working that position from home or in the office doesn't make a difference as to whether it can be sent overseas. Nothing about remote positions make them dead end positions. Business is always looking to do things cheaper if they can. That's why we have so much of our :poop: done in China and we saw during COVID how great that went.

Top Bottom