• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Of course the posted policy online for Riley Hospital is no guns.

Scenario is grandson is in NICU and his parents are with him. With COVID only the two parents are allowed to actually be with the baby. May be headed down to Indy to meet them in the lobby or for lunch in the cafeteria. Is it simply signage at the entrances or does Riley have metal detectors?

Thread search indicated metal detectors at ER entrance but it was a rather dated thread.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Of course the posted policy online for Riley Hospital is no guns.

Scenario is grandson is in NICU and his parents are with him. With COVID only the two parents are allowed to actually be with the baby. May be headed down to Indy to meet them in the lobby or for lunch in the cafeteria. Is it simply signage at the entrances or does Riley have metal detectors?

Thread search indicated metal detectors at ER entrance but it was a rather dated thread.
    It's been a few years since I've been there, but they had no detectors at that time. I entered from the parking garage.

Hopefully someone has been there more recently.

Prayers for your grandson and family.

Last edited:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I had twin grand kids in NICU. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Prayers for you and your family. There are a number of decent places to eat close by without metal detectors. You could go that route also.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Also - be SURE that you actually stay on Riley property and NOT into any Eskanazi or VA property.

not that anyone would know - but just having a firearm on those properties is a crime in and of itself (Eskanazi due to secure facility and VA because the .Gov are not our friends.)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Also - be SURE that you actually stay on Riley property and NOT into any Eskanazi or VA property.

not that anyone would know - but just having a firearm on those properties is a crime in and of itself (Eskanazi due to secure facility and VA because the .Gov are not our friends.)
    The VA you are correct. Esskanazi not quite, I haven't checked but I'm sure Indy has passed an ordinance against it, but that would only apply to inside the hospital. And even then it would be illegal but not a criminal matter it would be a civil matter. Quite possibly and expensive one, but still civil.

I don't think it meets the definition of a penal facility, but if it did. It would only be illegal to bring it in to the hospital as well.
    IC 35-44.1-3-5Trafficking with an inmate; carrying a deadly weapon into a correctional facility
    (b) A person who, without the prior authorization of the person in charge of a penal facility or juvenile facility, knowingly or intentionally:

(1) delivers, or carries into the penal facility or juvenile facility with intent to deliver, an article to an inmate or child of the facility;
    (2) carries, or receives with intent to carry out of the penal facility or juvenile facility, an article from an inmate or child of the facility; or
    (3) delivers, or carries to a worksite with the intent to deliver, alcoholic beverages to an inmate or child of a jail work crew or community work crew;
    commits trafficking with an inmate, a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Level 5 felony under subdivision (1) or (2) if the article is a controlled substance, a deadly weapon, or a cellular telephone or other wireless or cellular communications device.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    The VA you are correct. Esskanazi not quite, I haven't checked but I'm sure Indy has passed an ordinance against it, but that would only apply to inside the hospital. And even then it would be illegal but not a criminal matter it would be a civil matter. Quite possibly and expensive one, but still civil.

I don't think it meets the definition of a penal facility, but if it did. It would only be illegal to bring it in to the hospital as well.
    IC 35-44.1-3-5Trafficking with an inmate; carrying a deadly weapon into a correctional facility
    (b) A person who, without the prior authorization of the person in charge of a penal facility or juvenile facility, knowingly or intentionally:

(1) delivers, or carries into the penal facility or juvenile facility with intent to deliver, an article to an inmate or child of the facility;
    (2) carries, or receives with intent to carry out of the penal facility or juvenile facility, an article from an inmate or child of the facility; or
    (3) delivers, or carries to a worksite with the intent to deliver, alcoholic beverages to an inmate or child of a jail work crew or community work crew;
    commits trafficking with an inmate, a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Level 5 felony under subdivision (1) or (2) if the article is a controlled substance, a deadly weapon, or a cellular telephone or other wireless or cellular communications device.
    Eskanazi does have the Marion County Sheriff's detention unit so carry there is a no-no and illegal.

As for Riley Hospital and most other IU Health hospitals. They now have metal detectors at all entrances and, in addition, their "security" officers are now sworn police officers with full arrest powers. Events at the downtown hospitals set this in motion several years ago. I used to work there and was there when it all transpired. My ex also works at Riley and the stories she used to bring home would just make me shake my head and wonder how these idiots are able to function on daily basis.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Eskanazi does have the Marion County Sheriff's detention unit so carry there is a no-no and illegal.

As for Riley Hospital and most other IU Health hospitals. They now have metal detectors at all entrances and, in addition, their "security" officers are now sworn police officers with full arrest powers. Events at the downtown hospitals set this in motion several years ago. I used to work there and was there when it all transpired. My ex also works at Riley and the stories she used to bring home would just make me shake my head and wonder how these idiots are able to function on daily basis.
    Yes I know they have the detention unit there. As I stated I don't believe it meets the definition of a penal facility. And I'd say the legislature agrees with me, otherwise they wouldn't have needed to carve out an exemption for a local ordinance prohibiting carry in the hospital. But as I also stated, if it does, carry on the grounds is perfectly legal as long as you don't enter into the hospital.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Yes I know they have the detention unit there. As I stated I don't believe it meets the definition of a penal facility. And I'd say the legislature agrees with me, otherwise they wouldn't have needed to carve out an exemption for a local ordinance prohibiting carry in the hospital. But as I also stated, if it does, carry on the grounds is perfectly legal as long as you don't enter into the hospital.
    The detention unit is considered part of the Marion County Jail since it is run by the Sheriff's Department, so yes, it is a penal facility. Yes, carry on the grounds should be legal, but I don't know whether I would trust all the "Barney Fife's" patrolling down there.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The detention unit is considered part of the Marion County Jail since it is run by the Sheriff's Department, so yes, it is a penal facility. Yes, carry on the grounds should be legal, but I don't know whether I would trust all the "Barney Fife's" patrolling down there.
    Ran by does not equal penal facility. And just that ward or the entire place? And once again the legislature seems to agree with my interpretation since they allowed marion county to place a local ordinance on carry inside the hospital.

Top Bottom