• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gibby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2014
    Rochester
    Okay, a few days ago I watched a video on here of an Indiana police officer chasing down a suspect who ran during a routine traffic stop. At one point the suspect turned and tried to shoot the pursuing officer but forgot that the manual safety on his weapon was engaged. While I am thankful the officer was able to go home to his family, the video did make me stop and think.

I currently carry a 9mm XDm. I had planned to eventually upgrade to a 1911 for EDC. In light of the video, I am revaluating this plan. Now I do not think I want is an EDC equipped with a manual safety. I could see myself forgetting that the safety is engaged and paying for my mistake with my life.

What do you all think about me moving to a revolver for a EDC? The reason I am thinking about going this route is that not only is there no manual safety but also the chance of the weapon jamming when I need it most is virtually nil. While my XDm has been reliable, once in a while there were issues. I can't see a revolver having any issues in terms of reliability under stress. The only downside is reduced capacity. What caliber do you all carry? .38 special or .357 mag? What holsters do you use to carry your revolver? Any comments? Thanks! :-)
    Reliable, accurate, and powerful its hard to beat a good wheelgun. I've carried a S&W of one model or another sense 06' man I love em!! What's more comforting is the quality training I wish everyone would seek. If you haven't had any get it... Don't buy that second third or fifth gun. Invest that money learning the skills that might save your life.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    There is always a wheel gun close to our front door. I tell my wife, point it and pull the trigger if a threat occurs. Pretty simple to operate.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    ???? VERY few people have any idea what it will actually be like using a gun in a self defense situation. "Dreaming" is all most people can do along with training and being proficient with what ever they carry.

"The whole people who need more than ____ number of rounds must just not be able to shoot, is a poor way of thinking."

On the other hand the people that think that having lots of rounds in a gun makes up for "not being able to shoot"( or THINKING they know how to shoot) is also "a poor way of thinking"

So my point from that is be able to shoot and have a lot of rounds. Did you not get that? It has nothing to do with what kind of gun you carry, you don't know how many rounds you will need... That is why you should carry extra. I don't know how you thought that meant you should have lots of rounds incase you can't shoot, there are many reasons to have the ability to reload. I said it doesn't matter what kind of gun you carry, and that is because I think having at least extra mag or speed loader is a good idea. I am not leaving my house thinking that "the average number of gun shots needed to end an altercation is 3, so I will be alright with 7 rounds. I am also not leaving my house thinking I carry a Glock or a Revolver so I don't have to worry about my gun malfunctioning. So I carry extra, for several reason, be it the need of more ammo, or the need to fix an issue.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Revolvers are reliable and all...but if someone doesn't regularly train with the double action trigger pull chances are very high they will miss. I have seen this "just point and shoot" theory fail someone not accustomed to the double action. They pointed...they pulled the trigger. And I was seeing hits land in the ground 10 feet in front of them. Why?? Because the gun fires when the hammer drops at the end of the trigger stroke. Very easy to pull your shots.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I've always carried a revolver and prefer it due to reliability. As others have said, it has it's pros and cons so it's really just a matter of preference.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    And Ford is better than Chevy!!!

The auto vs revolver debate will go on forever. There are pros and cons to both.

OP, try to go to the range with someone that owns a revolver. Practice from full concealment against a target at 15 yards. Then do the same with your XDm. Then try three targets at 3 yards. Or a hostage target at 5 yards. YOU will quickly determine which gun is right for you, and whether or not 5 rounds will get you out of a bad situation. You just gotta figure out which one is right for you!

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Carry a S&W 2-1/2" 686 everyday have tried a few of the automatics that hang out in the safe just always felt better with a wheel gun this is just my preference

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Chances are, you won't need more than five or six shots if attacked. I do not own a revolver right now, but am seriously considering changing that very soon. I have noticed that through the years, I have learned to dress so that I can carry larger sidearms...outside the waistband. There is no denying the fact that a larger pistol is easier to shoot well, and I am thinking of getting a S&W or Ruger revolver, around the 3-4 inch barrel range. I would probably go .357 Mag caliber, and just load it with .38 Spl + P. I have to admit though, the prices of revolver ammo is not cheap.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Chances are, you won't need more than five or six shots if attacked. I do not own a revolver right now, but am seriously considering changing that very soon. I have noticed that through the years, I have learned to dress so that I can carry larger sidearms...outside the waistband. There is no denying the fact that a larger pistol is easier to shoot well, and I am thinking of getting a S&W or Ruger revolver, around the 3-4 inch barrel range. I would probably go .357 Mag caliber, and just load it with .38 Spl + P. I have to admit though, the prices of revolver ammo is not cheap.

On the ammo, this is true... BUT...they are among the easiest to reload ;)

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    i carry a revolver every day on duty and off. The number of bullets is moot. Practice and become accurate, efficient and proficient. For most non police shootings you won't even reload. For what I carry 158gr 357 mag federal is a very good load in the classic line and easy on the gun. But in actuality performance would be similar in 38spl, like speed gold dot, once you study ballistics. Don't get caught up in caliber confusion. 12-18 inch penetration with 1.5x original size expansion with 100% weight retention. Remember a gunfight is like selling real estate. Location, location, location.

Shot placement is the #1 most important aspect in a fight!
    Penetration (depth) is the #2 concern.
    Expansion is the #3 concern...with retention being right beside it.

^^THIS^^. I started out with revolvers and still carry them quite frequently. Most folks get to caught up in how many rounds something holds or caliber or both. There is nothing wrong with a good 5 or 6 shot revolver especially in 357 mag.

I CC'd a 4" GP100 (for 2 years)...then a 2.25" SP101 for 10+ years...my current EDC is a Glock 36 (6+1)...but it's accurate as heck! If I need 45+1 rounds...I need a hole to crawl into and wait for the lead to stop flyin!

JT1968

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Aurora
    I've been carrying a Smith 642 lately. I don't feel outgunned at all. Some interesting reading on how effective a revolver can be in a fight is the French GIGN. They still use 357 mag revolvers for close quarter fighting in hostage situations. However they also train a lot, as in everyday. S&W and Taurus make 7 and 8 shot revolvers. Eight shots of 357 mag 125gr JHP seems to me to be a very effective tool for defense. To each his own. Lastly, in my experience, I've never seen a guy who shoots a revolver well, be unable to shoot a semi auto well. But, I've seen plenty of guys who shoot semi's well and can't hit the broad side of a barn with a revolver. Seems that if you master the revolver, you can shoot anything. Just my opinion.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My EDC used to be a 3 inch SP101 .357, heavy little sucker but I can hit what I aim at with it. Just acquired a new 3 inch LCR-X that has taken its place on my belt. Just as accurate, nice trigger out of the box (I worked the SP101 quite a bit to get it to that point). Downside, it is "only" a 38 Spl +p... but so much lighter and easier to carry than the SP101. Adjustable sights too are a plus in my book.

Buffalo bore makes some 158 grain hollow points that clock over 1100 FPS from a 3 inch barrel. That is really close to what I was getting with factory .357's out of the SP101. Not cheap, but that is what is being carried. Put a few through it, they go right where I want them but bark a bit in that lightweight sucker. Anyway, I invested in another box of them for EDC and speed strips. Found a hand load that almost duplicates it (within 50 or so FPS) so I can load up some for practice with the hotter stuff a little once I get my loading and casting setup finished after our move in November. Too many honeydo projects so far...

I am almost 50 years old. Dad was a cop and loaded all the practice ammo for the PD back in the 70's. I grew up shooting revolvers and have more in my safe than semi-autos. I have his Model 19 that will go down to one of my kids someday and it is still a favorite to cut single ragged holes in paper. L frame, couple of Blackhawks, couple of Rugers, and more .38 and .357 cases to reload than I could get to in a month of Sundays.

An elegant weapon from a more civilized age...

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I have had a s&w 29 with 6" barrel for many many years. Use to carry it sometimes but not sure what happened to that holster and it hung pretty low. Recently, I decided to start packing it again. I got a Galco holster that rides high, leans forward and the barrel hangs out the bottom. The only one like that they had that would work for 6". It works great. Even that big 44mag packs as easy as my 1911 or 96g. Would like to have the barrel covered but I'm getting used to it.

7.62asprin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I sometimes carry a .38 S&W 642. I carry it in a belly band holster and it works great for me. I have a musclebound build and I would assume it would work well with a skinny person as well, not sure about heavyset fellas though.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Two factors that have sold me on revolvers for life are reliability (because no flimsy magazine is needed) and calibers that will usually get the job done with 1 or 2 rounds. I always laugh when some Glock fanboy sees my gun and starts going on about "but it only holds 5 rounds...." I tell them "you must plan on missing an awful lot".

Top Bottom