• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Okay, a few days ago I watched a video on here of an Indiana police officer chasing down a suspect who ran during a routine traffic stop. At one point the suspect turned and tried to shoot the pursuing officer but forgot that the manual safety on his weapon was engaged. While I am thankful the officer was able to go home to his family, the video did make me stop and think.

I currently carry a 9mm XDm. I had planned to eventually upgrade to a 1911 for EDC. In light of the video, I am revaluating this plan. Now I do not think I want is an EDC equipped with a manual safety. I could see myself forgetting that the safety is engaged and paying for my mistake with my life.

What do you all think about me moving to a revolver for a EDC? The reason I am thinking about going this route is that not only is there no manual safety but also the chance of the weapon jamming when I need it most is virtually nil. While my XDm has been reliable, once in a while there were issues. I can't see a revolver having any issues in terms of reliability under stress. The only downside is reduced capacity. What caliber do you all carry? .38 special or .357 mag? What holsters do you use to carry your revolver? Any comments? Thanks! :-)

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    I don't think reliability or issues under stress would effect a revolver much but in my personal opinion, I wouldn't carry a revolver simply because it doesn't have enough boolits. You understand that reduced capacity of a revolver as its noted in your post so you probably are more comfortable than myself with the idea of carrying a revolver. Yes, I know in most situations I shouldn't need more than what a revolver holds, but I'd much rather have 'em and not need 'em than need 'em and not have 'em. It's all about what you're comfortable with though, others may be perfectly fine carrying a revolver. I am not one of those people.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    What revolver are you looking at carrying? Will it be a snub nose? Will it be a Python?

I don't carry a revolver, but I can tell you, as of right now it seems a pocket revolver as a back up would be a better choice. A 1911 is a great gun. I wouldn't choose it over an XDm though. Yeah, bigger bullet. Yada yada. Stopping power. Yada yada. I'd go with something that I could trust would not malfunction and I know I won't have issues with remembering silly things like safeties. Personally, I carry a Glock. I've put enough rounds through it that I trust I won't have any hiccups. There are no external safeties to mess with, other than getting your booger hook on the bang switch correctly.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think that you can train to use a safety and do so under stress. However, if you wish to carry a gun without a safety I don't find that to be unwise by any means, and a good idea... However, I would carry the XDM over the revolver. For some or the reasons you stated. I would not however, make the mistake of thinking that a revolver is immune to malfunction. Also, reloading and "fixing" malfunctions are harder with a revolver than a pistol. I am not saying people can't do it well. But I can't. And lastly my own personal preference would be for a pistol because I will shoot it better. I would just carry a pistol without a safety as my solution. However if you want to carry a revolver go for it! Its just not my thing, doesn't mean folks can't do it well... I would never tell Ol' Uncle Jerry not to carry one if get where I am going with that...

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    The manual safety isn't really a problem as long as you train for it. With a 1911 it's very intuitive and quickly becomes second nature. Of all the guns with a manual safety the 1911 is one I wouldn't worry about learning. The shield on the other hand has a terrible manual safety. Some say to just not use the safety on the shield but the fact is it's still there and can disable the gun if it gets bumped or activated. Even if you don't use the safety it should still be trained for.

As for the second part about the revolver. They make fine carry guns even with a more limited capacity. Keep in mind that a revolver can actually jam as well, it's just much more unlikely. If you use one of the ultra light weight 357 guns and the wrong bullet combination then the recoil can act as a bullet puller. If the bullet gets pulled too far from the case then it will bind the cylinder as it rotates. Sand, grit and other debris can make it inside the gun and bind things up as well.

For caliber selection I usually stay with the .38 or .357. An airwieght frame is great to carry, not so much fun to train with. With those guns training is crucial. The 2" J frame guns are not beginners guns, ask almost any wife who's husband bought her one without her input and trying it out first.

The all steel J frames are more pleasant to shoot ans shouldn't be a problem if you are coming from a full size gun anyway. For a 357 I like the 3" Ruger GP 100 Wyley Clapp or the SP 101 for something a bit smaller. Both are controllable and concealable.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There are striker fired without manual safeties.
    S&W M&Ps and Glocks come to mind.

My EDCs
    S&W M&P 40c - Concealed Carry Primary
    S&W Model 19 (.357) - Open Carry Primary.
    NAA mini-22 - secondary Back Up Gun
    S&W Model 60 (.357) - Primary Back Up Gun

20140111_155806_zps0e2b5b18.jpg

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    There are striker fired without manual safeties.
    S&W M&Ps and Glocks come to mind.

My EDCs
    S&W M&P 40c - Concealed Carry Primary
    S&W Model 19 (.357) - Open Carry Primary.
    NAA mini-22 - secondary Back Up Gun
    S&W Model 60 (.357) - Primary Back Up Gun

20140111_155806_zps0e2b5b18.jpg

I've always liked that type of model 60. I could never justify the price though.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    i carry a revolver every day on duty and off. The number of bullets is moot. Practice and become accurate, efficient and proficient. For most non police shootings you won't even reload. For what I carry 158gr 357 mag federal is a very good load in the classic line and easy on the gun. But in actuality performance would be similar in 38spl, like speed gold dot, once you study ballistics. Don't get caught up in caliber confusion. 12-18 inch penetration with 1.5x original size expansion with 100% weight retention. Remember a gunfight is like selling real estate. Location, location, location.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    i carry a revolver every day on duty and off. The number of bullets is moot. Practice and become accurate, efficient and proficient. For most non police shootings you won't even reload. For what I carry 158gr 357 mag federal is a very good load in the classic line and easy on the gun. But in actuality performance would be similar in 38spl, like speed gold dot, once you study ballistics. Don't get caught up in caliber confusion. 12-18 inch penetration with 1.5x original size expansion with 100% weight retention. Remember a gunfight is like selling real estate. Location, location, location.

^^THIS^^. I started out with revolvers and still carry them quite frequently. Most folks get to caught up in how many rounds something holds or caliber or both. There is nothing wrong with a good 5 or 6 shot revolver especially in 357 mag.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    When I carry, it's usually my .357 LCR loaded with Critical Defense .38+P. I have also just acquired a 3" Smith Model 37 that I may carry occasionally also. I prefer the reliability of a revolver, and I am also not a fan of flying brass. I actually purchased an LC380 for CC but didn't like it as well as my wheelguns.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I like a semi auto, no manual safety, for everyday carry. My opinion is that training and training under stress are different. I don't have what I think is sufficient opportunity for the latter for me to choose to carry a handgun with a manual safety. I just haven't found a reason for the disadvantages of having a manual safety, however slight, to outweigh whatever advantages there might be to have one.

I like revolvers, and carry a pocket snub from time to time, but whether for capacity and/or concealability, a double or single stack semi auto without a safety beats a revolver for my needs most of the time.

Also, they do make DAO semi auto's-I carry a Kahr CW9 regularly. Seven +1 rounds in a nice flat package. No manual safety, but a nice smooth double action trigger pull.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Folks there have been so many studies done on shootouts and gunfight results and terminal ballistics that this simply isn't a matter of opinion anymore. This is the same stuff that 99% of firearms defense instructors teach.

These few facts should be your guiding philosophy, in order of importance

1. Carry what you're comfortable with and what you shoot well.
    2. Capacity is preferable to bullet diameter above a certain threshold. That threshold is 9mm for most people.

Since none of us are John Wayne, and as stated previously in the thread, gun fights are all about location location location, we need to train. This means:

1. Higher capacity is better because under stress your accuracy is going to drop significantly. Usually to around 30% on average. The odds of you scoring a fight-stopping hit quickly are very low.
    2. Small, light weight, high recoiling guns are unpleasant to train with for most people. This rules out air-weight revolvers for me. Some people are different. Lack of training means a lower level of effectiveness when the need for the gun arises.

The bottom line is that revolvers are sub-optimal for carry due to capacity. But if that's what you are most comfortable with, then do that.

In my personal opinion -- if you are concerned about safeties and reliability, buy a Glock or M&P. They both have compact models, no (or optional) manual safeties, and both have beyond proven track records for reliability rivaling even the almighty revolver.

There are a lot of arguments people will make both ways. Just carry what you're comfortable with. If I were only comfortable carrying a revolver I would buy a Glock and train with it until I trusted it enough to carry it.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I recently went back and forth on this very same issue. I do believe that ultimately, training with what you carry makes all the difference. I normally carry an XDM Compact in .40, AIWB, and have no problems. However, this past summer, I became very enamored with wheel guns. Two that I picked up, a new model S&W 66 Combat, and the Ruger GP100 Match Champion, are a little on the large side to carry, especially IWB. Before Christmas, I was able to snag a brand-new S&W Model 640 DAO J-Frame in .357. I now alternate between the J-Frame and the XDm. The XDm has better capacity, and I shoot it extremely well. However, I don't feel any less confident (or under gunned) with 5 rounds in the J-Frame, and when I carry it, I keep an extra speed loader in my pocket. IMHO, the J-Frame rides better for the way I like to carry.

SampW640122020141_zps6cbf12ea.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Like others said it all boils down to training. I'll admit during my first few months of training with my 1911 I did draw and press the trigger with no bang. Dad it I forgot to swipe the safety. But after continues training it is second nature. As well as swiping the safety on after I am finished firing. It is liken to driving a manual transmission. One doesn't think about the clutch and what gears to shift to.

i prefer my 1911 to other guns with no manual safety. If a bad guy gets a hold of my gun most likely he/she won't know the manual of arms for a 1911, giving me time to react. Also it is much less likely a child can injure anyone. There are a lot of stories of kids accidentally shooting people with glocks, m&p, etc. with safeties that are deactivates with a finger on the trigger.

another point is I never have to change my firing grip when reholstering as the thumb safety locks the slide. The 1911 was my first handgun and I made it a personal point to train with it. Given the choice I will carry my 1911 over any safetyless polymer gun or revolver.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Safety or no safety, revolver or semi auto, none of this matters if you are not proficient with your weapon. Buy the handgun that fits you and fills the role that you bought it for, buy a bunch of ammo, and shoot it till it is an extension of your arm. Then, when the time comes to use it for it's intended purpose, muscle memory will take over and you will not have to think about anything but the front sight.
    I shoot/carry Glocks, but grew up on revolvers. I would feel pretty well armed with a 6 shot .357 and a couple of speedloaders, with a J-frame as a BUG.
    Good luck with your choice.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Since 1983, a J frame S&W, and a K frame(had 357 mag, settled for a M10-4in bbl) have been a carry option. Currently like the Glock 19, w/ J frame BUG. Lots of capacity, dependable, light to carry. (also carry a spare mag).
    Never felt under armed carrying a revolver, just has an old school history. Was trained on a LEO Academy Range, was surprised to see only my Dept still carried revolvers in 1987. Wondernines replaced it, and Glock 40cals replaced wondernines. Currently local Sheriff's Officers can carry a Sig 220/ Glock 21, 45ACP. Good choice also.

55spartan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southern IN
    My EDC is a Kahr PM45. Love the weight, the grip, and most of all the accuracy. Yes it is a single stack, however you did say EDC and it is always my first choice with an extra mag in a front pants pocket.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I have never felt under gunned carrying a S&W 2-1/2" model 19. In my opinion people put way to much worry in not having enough bullets. That said, I do carry a 1911 with one spare mag. Hi capacity magazines are for people who can't hit their target :shoot: :stickpoke:

Top Bottom