• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I carry a S&W 642 as an EDC for a couple of reasons. I commute by bicycle 90% of the time, so having two hands to manipulate the gun is out of the question during this time. I ride in urban and rural areas, so I like the option of carrying shotshells in my first cylinder on rural rides because dogs are my most likely aggressors. On the bike I carry in a Survival Sheath Systems chest holster, which puts the revolver in the center of my chest with the muzzle pointing at my left shoulder and the grip angled toward my right hand. It also helps keep the sweat off the gun by being out front in the wind during the ride. Off the bike it is carried using a Barami Hip Grip over my appendix. This grip holds the revolver solid enough that I can run with it in my waistband.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't see a problem carrying a modern revolver. I'd need to do some Googling, but there was a study done a while back that found that most "gunfights" are over in 3 rounds or less. That would put revolvers on equal footing with most any semi-auto "conceal carry" handgun when it comes to capacity.

I, personally, would put revolvers slightly above DAO semi-autos for "fault tolerance". While the DAO can re-strike the same round (which could still not fire), the revolver will move to the next (likely good) round. Statistically, you would STILL not need all 5 or 6 rounds, even with a dud.

Still a good idea to carry a reload or two! :D

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Good responses so far...
    revolvers are awesome.
    Will this be almost exclusively a edc/ccw or will it double for home protection? If its ONLY edc, then look at airweight Smiths or Ruger LCR. You can save noticeable weight if you go with a hot 38 spl +p, but most will recommend getting 357 just to have the flexibility. There's even a new LCR that shoots 9mm on a moonclip. Any "small" revolver is gonna be a 5-shot, and the lighter they are, the less pleasant they are to shoot FOR EXTENDED PERIODS. in other words, very few people put 100+ rds through a snubbie in a range trip.
    i love revolvers, especially full size revolvers. As a ccw they can also be fired from inside a coat pocket and continue to function (not jam like an auto).
    When i carry, i carry an m&p shield. I have a full size revolver at home and I shoot it quite well -- my next ccw will be a revolver (probably an LCR)

Last edited:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I don't see a problem carrying a modern revolver. I'd need to do some Googling, but there was a study done a while back that found that most "gunfights" are over in 3 rounds or less. That would put revolvers on equal footing with most any semi-auto "conceal carry" handgun when it comes to capacity.

That wasn't 3 rounds or less. It was 3 hits to fight stoppage.

The big 3 calibers (9mm, 40, 45) all average between 2 and 3 hits until incapacitating the threat. So if we play by the law of averages - with average accuracy in a gun fight (30% ish) and average number of times you have to shoot the bad guy (3 times) that means the average 'good guy' needs 9-10 rounds to stop the average 'bad guy' in an average defense encounter.

Obviously this is absurd as every situation is different, but that's what the averages say.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Depends on your research source, I would guess.
    Analysis of Five Years of Armed Encounters (With Data Tables)
    This study finds the average shots by the defender is 2. When more than 2 were fired, the defender tended to fire until empty, with revolver shooters more likely to do so.

I'll need to dig up the other source from the FBI that found "3" to be the average. It may have been for LE shootings, though.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

The big 3 calibers (9mm, 40, 45) all average between 2 and 3 hits until incapacitating the threat. So if we play by the law of averages - with average accuracy in a gun fight (30% ish) and average number of times you have to shoot the bad guy (3 times) that means the average 'good guy' needs 9-10 rounds to stop the average 'bad guy' in an average defense encounter.

If is rare I see more than 3 shots fired by a civilian in a gun fight. The vast, vast majority fire 1-3 and the fight is over one way or the other. Often they didn't get a hit at all, the bad guy just suddenly remembered he left his oven on at home.

Anyway,

OP there's nothing wrong with carrying a revolver. However they take more practice to master. A heavy double action trigger is harder to shoot than a striker fired gun, and if you aren't willing to put the time in you may find yourself missing more often.

Manual safeties, meh. 1911 style safties that are quick and intuitive to deactivate I'm ok with. Again, practice practice practice until its instinct. Some safeties, like the Beretta 92, just aren't as ergonomic and at least for me could never be consistently deactivated as quickly as I could draw. Sometimes I just wouldn't get it off all the way or would miss it. CZ safeties were too stiff, and again, under pressure I wouldn't always get it off.

There are plenty of good options out there. If you aren't willing to practice much though, I'd steer you away from revolvers. The XDM is a good gun. What issues were you having with it?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i carry this.....325PD......18oz 45ACP/AR......

n2eetd.jpg

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    If is rare I see more than 3 shots fired by a civilian in a gun fight. The vast, vast majority fire 1-3 and the fight is over one way or the other. Often they didn't get a hit at all, the bad guy just suddenly remembered he left his oven on at home.

Anyway,

OP there's nothing wrong with carrying a revolver. However they take more practice to master. A heavy double action trigger is harder to shoot than a striker fired gun, and if you aren't willing to put the time in you may find yourself missing more often.

Manual safeties, meh. 1911 style safties that are quick and intuitive to deactivate I'm ok with. Again, practice practice practice until its instinct. Some safeties, like the Beretta 92, just aren't as ergonomic and at least for me could never be consistently deactivated as quickly as I could draw. Sometimes I just wouldn't get it off all the way or would miss it. CZ safeties were too stiff, and again, under pressure I wouldn't always get it off.

There are plenty of good options out there. If you aren't willing to practice much though, I'd steer you away from revolvers. The XDM is a good gun. What issues were you having with it?

Agree. There are some bad safety designs out there. The Beretta & 3rd generation Smith slide mounted safeties are awkward at best. Some frame mounted are pretty bad too. The worst safety on one of the best pistols is the thumbnail safety on the Browning High Power. Try to deactivate one of those in a hurry.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Thanks for the input, everyone! As usual, INGOers came through on sharing their thoughts with me and I appreciate it. Good discussion on both for and against carrying a revolver. Right now, I am most comfortable with and shoot 1911 style guns the best by a wide margin. Second are striker-fired weapons with revolvers in third place. Someone mentioned that the 1911 safety is more intuitive than others and I do happen to agree with this viewpoint. So, I am not ruling out upgrading to a nice 1911 as an EDC. The ones I like are the SR1911 and SA Range Officer models.

The XDM is a good gun. What issues were you having with it?

I seem to be having two issues with mine. The slide is failing to lock back probably 50% of the time. I made sure to keep my thumb clear of the slide stop lever so it is not failing to lock back because of obstruction. Every so often, I get a failure to eject(stovepipe, I think it is called?) and a failure to feed the round. Since this is happening with the magazine that I also use when I carry my XDm, I am starting to wonder if the magazine spring is too weak. I have taken the magazine apart and stretched the spring to see if this would help and it is still doing it. All in all, I am very happy with my XDm but it hasn't been 100% flawless for me. I have only ever used American Eagle, Federal, Winchester with my XDm.

Again, thanks for the input, everyone! Be vigilant and stay safe out there. :patriot:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for the input, everyone! As usual, INGOers came through on sharing their thoughts with me and I appreciate it. Good discussion on both for and against carrying a revolver. Right now, I am most comfortable with and shoot 1911 style guns the best by a wide margin. Second are striker-fired weapons with revolvers in third place. Someone mentioned that the 1911 safety is more intuitive than others and I do happen to agree with this viewpoint. So, I am not ruling out upgrading to a nice 1911 as an EDC. The ones I like are the SR1911 and SA Range Officer models.

I seem to be having two issues with mine. The slide is failing to lock back probably 50% of the time. I made sure to keep my thumb clear of the slide stop lever so it is not failing to lock back because of obstruction. Every so often, I get a failure to eject(stovepipe, I think it is called?) and a failure to feed the round. Since this is happening with the magazine that I also use when I carry my XDm, I am starting to wonder if the magazine spring is too weak. I have taken the magazine apart and stretched the spring to see if this would help and it is still doing it. All in all, I am very happy with my XDm but it hasn't been 100% flawless for me. I have only ever used American Eagle, Federal, Winchester with my XDm.

Again, thanks for the input, everyone! Be vigilant and stay safe out there. :patriot:

Try new mag spring. Stretching it doesn't do much to make it springy again.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

I think you're on the right track with the mag spring. If you like the gun I would try a set of Wolff springs before you write it off. Go with the +10% mag spring and a standard recoil spring.

Springs for SPRINGFIELD XD(M) 4.5 INCH Semi-Auto Pistols

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think a lot of people are dreaming up what it will be like when they have to use their gun or looking at what it is sometimes like... No matter if you carry a revolver, 1911, or a poly gun, carry an extra mag/ speed loader, or more! The whole people who need more than ____ number of rounds must just not be able to shoot, is a poor way of thinking.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Top Bottom