• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Good to hear you don't need $1,000,000 to be able to retire. That seems to be the "magic" number "everyone" says you must have.

I have been reading/watching some stuff lately though that some may be coming off that number. Probably realizing that a lot of people will never hit that number as far as savings are concerned.

My full retirement is closer to 67 (66, 10 months?). I will work at least until then and assess at that point whether I push on to 70.
    I actually have hardly any retirement savings but life is still doable, wife retired and now works a couple days a week because she likes it. She does have money in retirement savings but we don't want to touch any of that unless absolutely necessary.
    We did put ourselves in a good position for retirement so we could live well enough on what comes in. Downsized our house with a new modular 2 1/2 years when we moved out of high tax and all around crap hole Illinois to Indiana. Used my savings to get the lot bought and the well and septic systems and some other stuff. Sold our old home for enough money to have a nice home that is paid for. You can live decent on little if you have no debt. Jim.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    The company I worked for for 23 years outsourced my job (and those of the team I worked on) to India in October of 2020. I was 62 at the time and just didn't have the energy to learn a new job. So I understand the reservations you seem to have.

I hope you can try to find health and happiness in your retirement. Try to stay busy. Just not toooo busy... :cool:

Last edited:

Morgan98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2022
    I retired in my late 50's. Aspects of my job I loved, many I hated...Also, you look around and many of the guys you "grew up" with on the job, are gone....management is all about the MBA ideal of the moment, and not about the important stuff...but why go on about the crap. I've found it to be great, I get to watch the grand kids grow up...stuff I missed with my own kids, as I worked full time for them. I get to spend more time with wife...we definately argue more, but we are closer too.
    Get into your hobby...if your'e handy, you'll have about 1 year of catching up fixing the stuff around the house you've put off the last 10 years....moving to a new location takes up a year or two. Watching UTube can take up a good part of the day, but if you follow politics...it can be very frustrating...no matter which side your on. Go for walks....strength excercise. Read ...

Top Bottom